Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurienj9

Crate & Barrel icon vs vail fabrics

laurienj9
4 years ago

Has anyone ordered a Crate& Barrel sofa in either fabric? Would love any feedback if possible. Looking for durability and stain-resistance.

Comments (42)

• riellebee
    4 years ago

I'm considering ordering the Gather Petite sectional from Crate & Barrel that comes in the icon fabric. It's described as a highly durable, stain-resistant fabric, but I think it's a new fabric and collection for the store. Have you found any reviews on it?

• Laurie Sosson
    4 years ago

No, icon is apparently a very new fabric. It looked very nice though! I ended up going with the Taft Fabric because the color worked better in my room. Fingers crossed for both of us!

• riellebee
    4 years ago

I like it too, but am nervous to order something without reviews. Which sofa did you order?

• Laurie Sosson
    4 years ago

I ordered the Barrett sofa. Taft fabric had a ton of reviews because it’s on the Axis sofa, which has been around forever. Not every review was perfect, but they seemed mostly positive.

• riellebee
    4 years ago

That's a nice one too! Good luck!

• bstol
    3 years ago

@riellebee did you end up purchasing the Gather sofa? Curious if you have an update in terms of quality, construction and how it’s holding up after a few months. Also interested in fabric you decided on.

• Jenny DeZubay
    3 years ago

Our gather in Monet fabric comes within the next 2 weeks!

• Jenn D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For college graduation, we gifted our daughter the Gather Sofa in Monet Champagne and she loves it! The Monet fabric is more durable than the Taft. I am actually considering the 98" Gather in Icon Pearl. It is more durable than the Taft, but less than the Monet. According to the CB salesperson, they are ALL "performance fabrics." The "rub test" numbers are approx: Monet 51, Icon 35, and Taft 17 (give or take a few points, i'm going on memory, lol)

• laurienj9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow that’s not great for Taft. So far I’m happy with my sofa, but the one thing I’ve noticed is that anytime someone sits in it, it leaves a “butt” mark . So I am constantly rubbing it out so the fabric doesn’t look all wrinkled and dimpled from where people sat.

• Jenn D
    3 years ago

I understand Taft to be a performance fab too, just not quite as durable as the other two. I’m glad you’re happy with yours, even if you have to straighten up behind others. Lol I gave to fluff pillows behind my dogs constantly! haha

• Kevin Farkas
    3 years ago

We're considering a Lounge in Taft or a Gather in Icon. Is the Icon that much more durable than Taft?

• Wendy Leigh
    3 years ago

Anyone use pearl icon fabric on a axis CB sofa?

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

Laurienj9, what fabric did you end up buying? you got the Gather, yes? how is it holding up? do you need to fluff the back pillows a lot? do you like the height of the back cushions?

• laurienj9
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not much has changed from my November 2020 comment. Taft fabric but definite butt mark issues!

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

Thank you for the update! i would love to see a photo, especially of the butt marks.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

Jenny DeZubay, did you get your sofa? how do you like it and how is the Monet fabric?

• laurienj9
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s what the couch looks like after people sit on it. Is this normal?

• riellebee
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@laurienj9 Late reply, but it does seem odd for the fabric to do that after someone sits on it. Which sofa is it? I know the Taft fabric is used on the Lounge sofa which seems pretty popular and well-liked. (I have the Lounge but in a different fabric.) Did you follow up with Crate & Barrel about it?

• laurienj9
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is Taft. No I never followed up, I just smooth it out after. Luckily it’s a room that doesn’t get heavy use

• laurienj9
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh it’s the Barrett sofa

• User
    2 years ago

Jenn D - I'm considering the Axis in Money. Have there been any issues with your daughters sofa? Curious about stain durability and wear-out/ butt from use.

Does anyone have experience with Synergy or Galaxy?

• dimple918
    last year

@jenny deZubay- how has the Monet fabric worked out? I’m worried that it will look yellow tinged in our house. Can you update with your thoughts?

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

The Lounge looks better than the Axis because it has peaked pillow backs that hold their shape. The Axis has squared top edges on the back pillows that slouch more and look messy and require more fluffing. I purchased the Tribute Dune fabric (twill). The second day we had it my father-in-law cut his arm and got blood all over the sofa. It all came out with hot water and a small amount of upholstery cleaner dabbed on a wash cloth. My little kids spill on it and everything comes out even if I don't clean it up right away. I plan to order the Gather in Icon next. It can be ordered with the same peaked cushions as the Lounge. The Gather displays in Icon inside the store look nice even after lots of people sitting on them. I've had Pottery Barn's Performance Tweed slipcover for 6 years and it's indestructible. I've even put all of it in the washer and dryer half a dozen times. Hope that helps!

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Here is a pic comparing Taft to Icon. The weave on the Icon is much tighter so the lower rub score for the Taft makes sense to me and I would expect this fabric to not last as long and to show more wear in heavy use areas. You'll also notice how tight the weave is on PB's performance tweed. We have utterly abused this fabric and it still looks good. I want a new sofa with deeper cushions but I haven't been able to justify replacing a sofa that still looks nice after 6 years.

• Carli Joseph
    last year

Do you have a photo of your tribute dune fabric sofa? i am considering ordering and would love to see a photo, how is it with pilling?

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Carli, I looked up my order and it's actually "Omega Dune" twill fabric, which they no longer carry. No one sits in it and its always dirty, partly because it's a light, solid color. It cleans fairly well though. The Tribute twill fabrics they carry now are two tone so they may be less difficult to live with. Most of CB fabrics are unusual and Tribute is one of the more standard upholstery options they carry (although I think a polyester basketweave is a better choice). I showed worn sections, which is mostly from the cushion rubbing against the frame. There are before and after washing (spot cleaning and washing machine). Better, but I can't remove it all. After taking it apart to clean I now realize the quality is poor. The wood frame is not covered with batting and is visible through the fabric. The frame joints are not good and are stapled (no mortise and tenon joinery or corner blocks). The foam is stiff with no cushion due to inadequate fiber wrapping. The arm rest of 4" is too narrow for your arm or to place a remote. The lack of welting on the arms is resulting in the seams pulling apart. Most of C&B sofa frames are around 10" shorter than the back cushion. This is a "modern" cost-saving design and I think it makes it uncomfortable. Our sofas with backs as tall as the cushion are much more comfortable. After looking more closely, I plan to get rid of it. I asked everyone in my house and my parents why they never sit in it and everyone said it was uncomfortable.

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Before and after spot cleaning (Woolite w/ Oxy clean diluted with hot water) and washing cushion cover in washer. Cold water, 7th Generation in unscented detergent, medium spin. Inside out, zipped. Dryer on extra low heat for 1 minute, air only for 1 hr, repeated 3 times. No ironing.

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Wearing and pilling.

• Liz B.
    last year
    last modified: last year

These reviews/comments/pics are great. I am getting ready to purchase a Barrett 3-Seat Track Arm Sofa -- I love the Galaxy fabric shown in the store but the colors available in that fabric don't go well with my new carpet -- does anyone know how the Icon and Ascend fabrics compare to the Galaxy? Looking for durability and stain resistance and don't like the velvety look.

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

The Barrett is a petite depth sofa (36") similar to Pottery Barn's Cameron. I would definitely pick the PB over CB. I've have the Cameron for 7 years with two young boys and it's held up well and is still comfortable. Cameron in Performance Heathered tweed 95", $2,699 (some fabrics are $1,619) vs Barrett in Ascend 91" for $2,419. The mortise-and-tenon joinery and better legs on the PB are worth the price difference. The Ethan Allen Spencer track 92" for $2,868 is worth considering too. I love their fabric options!

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Here are a couple fabric pics. Galaxy is a tighter weave than Icon. Ascend is a tighter weave than Icon, but 22% cotton. Cotton can lose shape and get baggy so it might be better for an accent chair than a sofa.

• hzelko
    last year

Anyone has the Icon peal fabric or the Taft Pearl - i'm trying to decide which may hold up better?

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

I would expect the Icon to hold up better because it has a tighter weave. The Taft is a loose boucle-style weave. They have essentially the same fabric content (about 30% polyester material derived from petroleum and 70% plastic fibers) and will be stain resistant to just about everything but oils (oil bonds to polypropylene/olefin). Pet claws and rings will catch on these fabric but the Icon would be slightly better with pets.

• hzelko
    last year

@Brianne Margolin - awesome thanks so much!! I do have a small dog that sometimes does "digging" so it sounds like icon would be better. Douglas doesn't have a color that works and seems too "suedey" for me. I loved the Galaxy Icea nd Tribute Quartz, but i believe either would be significant upcharge in the Axis sofa I'm looking at.

• hzelko
    last year

For anyone looking this is axis sofa in icon pearl in store - it looks a little more ”grey in this photo but it’s not, much more ivory/white … the small sample on the sofa is Taft pearl

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

I hear ya! The upcharge for better fabrics can be a big difference at C&B. I purchased a sectional at Ethan Allen a month ago that ended up $1,300 less than C&B's Gather sectional, and no interest for 3 years.

• hzelko
    last year

Oh really hmm might check out! what sofa, are you happy with it? i loved the look of the Gather, but I really like the reversible chaise option and it would have been too big for my smaller space, need to be under 96” width, so axis seems like best option there.

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

You can put together the Gather Chair, armless chair and chaise for a 98" wide sofa.

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

The Ethan Allen Spencer collection is 20% off right now. I think their fabrics are much nicer (even quick ship choices). I prefer the taller frame for back cushions, 6" wide track arm (not too big or small), mortise and tenon joinery construction, cushion choices, back cushion has a 3-channel jacket to keep fibers from shifting and that the bottom foam cushions are wrapped with 3 layers. I worried the very thick cushions of the Gather would breakdown and be hard to replace because of their unusual dimensions.

• HU-822249427
    3 months ago

Hi Brianne..I've been searching for a family room sofa for the best couple of years... PB, C&B and Decor-rest...Like the look of the CB lounge and PB Pearce or york. Fabric has been a HUGE issue...will it be comfy and inviting..will it be durable and not pill heavily etc What Ethan Allan Spencer would you recommend re style and fabric ? Thanks

• Brianne Margolin
    last month

I would recommend going into an Ethan Allen store if you can. They have so many fabrics and a designer will help you. I found the C&B colors to be off next to the coastal colors of my decor and fabrics to be poor quality. CB colors go well with a MCM design. At EA I was overwhelmed by the number of fabrics I liked. I purchased the sofa in Gil Fog, which is a high performance chenille in a warm gray with blue undertones. It looked great with my walls (Revere Pewter 50%, and acacia wood floors).

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm