kikoshouse

Compensation for wrong cabinet color.

kikoshouse
last year
last modified: last year

I ordered custom kitchen cabinets from a reputable local maker who’s been in business for decades. They’re beautiful but the color is not what I specified. It was an SW color but they had to mix as a custom color due to it being a lacquer paint process and SW got it wrong. Since the cabinet maker did not verify the color, they are now installed and repainting is not an option. Thankfully it is close and I like it, but would obviously prefer the color I spent a lot of time choosing. What sort of compensation should I ask for? The total price was $13,000 installed. I have paid 2/3 of that so far as installation is not quite complete.

• kikoshouse
    last year

Ha ha! @ericakn silver linings, right?

The Kitchen Place
    last year

I think the color you got is way better in a craftsman home! Pay the poor old man. Lol.

Jim Bishop Cabinets are wrong color - how to fix?

Jim Bishop cabinets are crap! I know I have them. Ours also came in the wrong color. The finish is a disgrace - it feels like sandpaper. Doors are misaligned and cabinets do not close. Shelves are broken... Steer clear of Jim Bishop - they are basically builder grade crap. Fancy website with nice photos but you would be better off with out of the box cabinets from Home Depot. Jim Bishops customer service is also a joke. Their attitude is they just dont care - according to them "everything is to tolerance" Well jim bishop tolerance is cabinets that are FALLING APART.

What to do when cabinet stain is wrong?

This is the exact reason dark gel type stains have become the norm. Today's fake looking no grain showing wood finish is what the typical buyer expects. How do you explain that a door is made up of at least 6 pieces of wood that might not be from the same board to someone who is used to brown painted wood? Your door looks fantastic and I think you are missing that you paid for a real hardwood door and not one gel stained to look like one. Be happy and enjoy your cabinets. It is white oak and yes they did mix in different grades but I have no ides what you paid for the cabinets. If you wanted all the panels to have flecks and be hand picked I would say your cabinets would start in the 40k range for a 10x10 kitchen. The more they have to select and disgard the more the cost goes up. I build real would products and I can't tell you how many people turn their noses up to them just because the see shade and grain variance. 1 in 10 get it and are blown away with the natural look of the wood. I wish they would have used a better stain mix to pop those flecks and grain as that is what white oak is all about but it looks fine and will age well as is. Just a sign of the times. Throw away your Pottery Barn books and enjoy!!

How do you determine compensation for mistakes

We hired Lowes to do a major remodel for our kitchen (including all new appliances, cabinets, granite, knocking out walls, custom pantry, flooring etc.)back in January of last year. The work was actually started the first week of May, was told it would take 6 weeks to complete the job. in June we started to have issues, then again in July it just got even worse. We sent out a text to the general contractor and the rep from Lowe's that was over seeing the project. the response we got back from the general contractor was that he had a softball tournament so he couldnt make it. immediately got a bitter taste in my mouth and was very upset. tried for an entire 2 weeks to meet with everyone to get back on the same page and NOTHING. I finally emailed Lowe's and explained my issue. nothing has seemed to be done. Basically i have been fighting with anyone and everyone that i can get to contact me from there and nothing has been resolved until the end of September when I went into the store and talked face to face. Joe (asst. manager) acted like he cared and concerned, to later find out he is a joke. my main issue at that point, was just to get a new microwave that worked until they could come out and get the rest of the kitchen completed. after weeks of calling the store and emailing corporate, we finally received a call on Black Friday that our microwave was in and that we needed to come pick it up and bring the old one back (mind you we paid for them to come out and install this). i was beyond furious at that moment and we drove to the store and demanded to talk to a MANAGER. We were able to talk to a guy named Gary (claiming he was a fill in store manager) and he took us to the back room and we sat down and went over all the issues we have had. we had a contractor that we had to pay to give us a bid come out and estimate the job to be another $8000 to fix all the issues when we have already paid $21.000 for the entire remodel. the second contractor that lowe's sent out that is now going to be trying to complete the job stated that the entire flooring needs to be replaced, grout on backsplash be redone, cabinets need to be adjusted, microwave, pantry door is wrong, all trim work needs to be fixed, all boards in pantry need to be fixed along with all the hardware. I feel like we are going to be out another 6-8 weeks to just get this completed and hopefully right this time. It is now January 2018 and we still do not have a microwave nor our kitchen completed. I have asked several times for compensation and was told by a Regional Manager Matt that we can discuss the issue once all work is complete. What would be a fair amount to ask for compensation? We have had to stay in a camper during the remodel period each time, move our animals to other peoples homes, and relocate toys, clothes, food and eating arrangements for myself, my husband and 20 month old baby. you try living in a camper that is tiny compared to a 2800 square foot house for long periods of time and now going to have to live thru it again.

My cabinets came in wrong...Help?

After having read comments by some of the others, I've rethought your dilemma. My understanding is the drawers are on the bar side which means probably a 12" overhang for knee room at the bar. I now think you're OK to leave them as you have doors to storage below. They would look like other fixed panels such as below a sink. Whether you put knobs or pulls would be your discretion depending upon whether you want to draw attention (w/) or make them less noticeable (w/o). Before our K reno our peninsula had a cab on the bar side. It was virtually useless anyway b/c one had to duck and squat under the bar to access the cab's contents.
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

I'm so intrigued by the Waterscape swatch looking pink in your photo. Or is this one of those weird internet things where some people see blue/green and others pink? Does anyone think that sample looks blue/green?!

• nickel_kg
    last year

Piling on Sherwin Williams ... a few years ago we wanted to duplicate their color from garage door to garage. The coding was wrong in their store system, so even though we asked for the correct formulation, what we got was way off. NEVER leave a store without checking the actual paint in the can...!

Back to original thread...

• ci_lantro
    last year

And Rainwashed looks gray-pink on my screen!

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

You ever play that game where someone whispers a message in their neighbor's ear and that person whispers to their neighbor and after 10 people the original message is pretty fuzzy.

Photos on the internet are similar to that game. Someone takes a picture with a camera, but camera's aren't all standardized, so the same picture can look different based on the camera.
    Then you convert it to a language that your machine understands when you download it from the camera. Then you may open it in a photo editing program - this generally converts the image to a new color space, Then you save it back to your computer and upload it to the internet. When it hits the internet the internet expects that the colors are in an internet safe color space. If you saved it from a different color space the colors are really off. Then after all of this you open the image on your phone or computer and each screen has different sensitivities, can display x number of colors and may or may not be well calibrated. It is amazing that people in pictures aren't purple after all the manipulations have been made.

So why are you seeing pink - because the message got fuzzy as it went from color space to color space and was interpreted and changed at every stop along the way from someone's camera to your phone or computer.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Looking at real samples of Rainwashed and Waterscape you do have similar hues - Rainwashed is a bit greener and waterscape is a bit more blue, both are blue greens.

The bigger difference is the brilliance or saturation of the color.

Waterscape is a much clearer, more saturated color. Rainwashed is muted, more of a grayish blue green than a clear blue green.

Have you ever noticed when you see a paint color display they have the very clear colors at the top and the less saturated, more muted tones toward the bottom. Waterscape will be displayed at the top of the display. Generally I do not use any color on the top of the displays on my walls - they are too clear, too brilliant and too much color for a large space.

Here is an conversion of the color values of Rainwashed and Waterscape to the corresponding CIE LCH color values (Light, Chroma (how clear or how muted the color is) and the Hue (placement on the color wheel).

Rainwashed

Waterscape

The light for both is at 82 - they are both light mid toned colors Whites and very light pastels are in the 90s. SW Navel is 32.

The saturation does not seem like a big difference going from 6.3 to 8.9, but those few degrees takes you from a neutral blue green to a pretty strong blue green. 0 is dead pan gray, 100 is the brightest value possible - SW Obstinate Orange - which is one of the brightest colors in their collection is in the 60s - anything brighter would be a florescent / Neon color.

The Hue of the two colors is 159 and 168 or 9 degrees. The difference between pure green and pure blue is 72 degrees, so if both colors had the exact same chroma the color difference would look like this:

Rainwashed vs Waterscape vs Blue

At a much higher saturation (Making it easier to discern color differences) they look like this

The hue is pretty close - just a bit more blue.

The two internet programs I used to get to this color information are

Easyrgb.com

and

http://davidjohnstone.net/pages/lch-lab-colour-gradient-picker

Lori A. Sawaya
    last year
    last modified: last year

Every device displays colors differently for various reasons and everyone sees color differently too.

Which is why professional color experts use color notations that describe and defines color appearance based on how the human eye with normal color vision sees color.

It's a consistent, repeatable point of control to understand and manage how color looks in context, under different light sources, and to different observers with varying degrees of color acuity.

Waterscape is definitely not pink. It has more potential for bluish overtones and it's also more chromatic, more colorful compared to Rainwashed.

Rainwashed is greener and more neutral compared to Waterscape.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I don't see pink at all - I see a lovely calm grayish green that I would like much more than the other one.

However, my custom cabinet color ( Martha Stewart Gull) always looks pinkish in photos, yet it is not at all IRL.

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

If it were me, I'd feel bad trying to get a deal when I'm willing to stick with the color, especially since it really wasn't the cabinet maker's fault.

The cabinetmaker is at fault. Paint stores messing up mixes is not that rare, and you should check the color before final delivery. Fan decks are free to the cabinetmaker and it is not hard to check, every responsible cabinet manufacturer does it. In fact, I would argue that it is an essential component of your job as a cabinet manufacturer. There is a reason that most custom cabinetmakers will provide a painted sample to the customer for approval, and that holds true even when the color applied is actually the color they selected.

I think it almost becomes more of a moral dilemma if you're ok with the cabinets.

I stopped and picked up a pizza on the way home the other night, it turned out to be wrong, I didn't want to drive and pick up another one so I called and let them know that my order was incorrect and I got a partial refund. Using your moral compass I would be wrong... Why? Because I decided that the pizza I had in front of me, was still better than driving back for another?

• Chessie
    last year

"I don't see pink at all - I see a lovely calm grayish green that I would like much more than the other one."

Agreed, Rainwashed is much more appealing to me.

last year

Everyone in this scenario is at fault. The guy who mixed the paint; the cabinet maker who applied it before double checking; and the homeowner who did not inspect the cabinet color BEFORE installation. The poor horse is being beat to death.

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

Everyone in this scenario is at fault.

NO THEY ARE NOT! Saying the same completely erroneous thing over and over doesn't make it true! Nor does finding other people willing to join you.

The homeowner is not at fault, not even one little tiny bit. The cabinets were delivered wrong, the cabinetmaker was at fault upon delivery, nothing done after the cabinets were delivered would change the fact that they were wrong upon delivery and the fault existed at that point. This is not complicated, everyone here should be able to figure this out on their own, yet here we are again. Were the cabinets delivered as per the contracted agreement? If not then the person who failed to deliver upon that promise is at fault. Period.

Try this test: If the cabinets were painted correctly, would there still be fault? Were the cabinets painted correctly? Who painted the cabinets because that is who is at fault?

Or try this test... Were the cabinets Rainwashed when delivered? Would they have magically and instantly become Rainwashed as the OP inspected them? So how is the OP at fault for not painting them Rainwashed?

Now once installed, the OP may have fewer available options for recourse, but they are not suddenly at fault because some recourse options become unconscionable. This is not new territory and it has not a single thing to do with the OP being at fault.

The problem isn't the beating you are putting on the horse, it is that you standing in the wrong barn altogether and that is the wrong horse.

ETA: Inspecting cabinets before you install is a great idea, inspecting door samples prior to that is an even better idea. The reason those things are a good idea is because aavoiding damages is better than worrying about whose fault it is.

There is a traffic light by my house that people constantly run, when I get a green light I look both ways and ensure no one is running the light. If I forgot to do that one time and ended up getting hit, I would not be at fault. I would still have a wrecked car and possibly injuries and so i look around to avoid that. However, just because it smart for me to look for people screwing up, doesn't relieve them of fault if I miss it.

Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

Inspecting cabinets before you install is a great idea, inspecting door samples prior to that is an even better idea.

It's a matter of awareness which is why in depth discussions like this are so valuable and helpful.

Good news is checking the color is easy. Whether you're good with a thorough visual assessment or whether you want to break out some science and measure it with a portable device, unfortunate color stories like this are easily avoidable.

• jad2design
    last year

Although the color you initially picked may have been a closer match to the green in the soapstone @The Kitchen Place is right that the color you ended up with is a really good match for the age of the home, though I’d maybe call it a 1920s shade. Trying to give a circa 1915 feel to what inevitably is the most modern room in the house is a really tough balancing act. The appliances, the lighting, the shape, proportions, quantity and function of the cabinets are all very much 2020. You can use materials such as soapstone and vintage shades of paint as a “call back” and in this case Waterscape is that kind of color. As long as you actually like the shade I’d say it was serendipitous.

But I’d still negotiate with SW for free paint for the other rooms. This whole process started with the mixer of the paint failing to check it against the chip (which for an expensive custom color should include dabbing a bit right on the sample and taping that to the lid).

• ci_lantro
    last year

which for an expensive custom color should include dabbing a bit right on the sample and taping that to the lid)

Yes. The paint shop where I buy paint (PPG) smears some of the mixed paint on the lid, grabs a blow dryer to dry the sample, checks it against the paint chip & shows it to me. All while I'm standing there waiting for the paint. The Waterscape paint would never have left the store because the error would have been caught then & there.

Standard protocol. Exact same sequence when I was tweaking a color at Menard's and when I took a sample of a mystery paint color (from a garage sale) to Sherwin Wms. to be color matched.

The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just because SW made the mistake that does not alleviate the Cabinet Maker from his/her obligation to supply and install the cabinetry as specified in their order agreement with the OP. The Cabinet maker ordered the coating from SW, obviously the Cabinet maker did not check to see if the product received from SW was as per what was ordered. The circumstances are unfortunate, it appears that SW assumed that they mixed the right colour and the cabinet maker assumed that the colour received was the right colour. The primary people involved failed to check the colour. Not out to stick it to someone, but they did not take reasonable care in exercising their duties.

The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    last year

"So, if the cabinet maker gets money back from SW and passes it on to OP, that's great. But to just get it from cabinet maker, well, that's what I said I'd feel bad about doing. "

It's unfortunate, but the OP should not feel bad about it, that's the way it is. You order something from an on-line retailer, the retailer orders the product from it's supplier and delivers it to you. The item is wrong so you send it back for replacement or a full refund. Do you feel sorry for the on-line retailer who now has to eat the shipping and restocking cost. Unlikely.

The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm not saying that one should just go out of their way to hammer the Cabinet Guy. What I'm discussing here are the legal realities of who is ultimately responsible for what. Even Judge Judy understands this, how many times does she tell a complainant that their personal feelings or misfortunes have nothing to do with the case.

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

That's why I thought SW should mix new paint , and cabinet maker should repaint.

You think the best solution is one that is going to cost him exponentially more money?

• It is unlikely that the product that is presently on the cabinets can be sprayed in a home.
    • Any durable product that can be sprayed in a home is going to have costly ventilation and exhaust requirements.
    • It is incredibly unlikely that the cabinetmaker has the tools and supplies on hand to spray in a home.
    • it is pretty likely that any product that can be sprayed in a home will not be compatible with the current finish and require sanding to bare wood and resealing.
    • The cabinetmaker's exposure to liability increases exponentially when spraying in a home, anyone used to shop spraying is going to have to deal with overspray and the chances of someone not used to spraying in a home causing other damage is somewhat high.

In the end, the cabinetmaker should spend the $5k-$8k hiring a professional painter to repaint, if that is the negotiated solution. You are suggesting the cabinetmaker spend more time repainting cabinets than he spent building them and committing him to additional supply and equipment costs.

----------

As far as the cabinet maker, I don't know them to be paint experts

A cabinetmaker is a manufacturer, their quality control is his decision. If I order a Blue Gray car and get a Blue Green car, they are not going to say "we are not paint experts." He should not have committed to being able to deliver a specific color if he couldn't. If his vision doesn't allow him to see the difference between colors then buy a decent color analyzer, they are not that expensive (certainly less than any reasonable settlement here).

I suppose I'd have a lot more money if I was compensated for everything that wasn't correct and I just lived with because I worry too much about other people's feelings.

I don't know about money, but you would certainly get a lot more of the stuff you wanted rather than the stuff you were willing to settle for.

If you are worried about people's feelings, try worrying about future customers. By accepting lower quality results, you are creating the market for lower quality results and destroying the market for higher quality results. Why would any craftsman want to provide better quality assurance when you refuse to reward them for doing so? In the end, you caring about this cabinetmaker's feelings seems admirable but it just increases the likelihood that other people are going to have to deal with this same problem later on.

• Kirsten E.
    last year

bry911 do you think reasonable minds can differ or do you always think yours is the only reasonable thought worth expressing? The first thing they teach you in law school - and I’m talking orientation, even before classes - is that the most common answer you will give is “it depends,” because (1) rarely is all the necessary information given by an interested party at the outset and (2) once you have the initial pertinent info reasonable minds can often differ. And yet you are always so resolute and condescending in your responses...it truly boggles the mind.

Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

I didn't find bry's responses condescending.

Just matter of fact. Opinionated and informed.

There's a difference between reasonable minds who Google, guess and assume and reasonable minds who speak from a point of first-hand experience.

Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think suggesting, or even doing, a re-spray is ridiculous. The colors are so close, only those familiar w/these two colors would even notice the diff. yes, one is slightly greener.

I think the color is beautiful w/the soapstone. really, really pretty. (what tile are you doing?)

How about this. Since the cabinet guy is willing to work with you (and he did great work for a great price), is there any other wood work stuff you need done? a book case? media cabinet? nightstand, vanity? Perhaps he could do something gratis for you to make up the diff. (depending on how much of a discount we're talking. if it's only $600, then maybe he would make you something bigger for 1/2 price, or something smaller for free).

custom wood open shelving??

Yes he should have sprayed a door for you and shown you the color. But really, the end result is so similar, I think it would be punishment to have the guy eat it and redo.

ask him to make you something small in exchange for the mistake.

Actually, having SW give you a complete refund for the cost of the paint is an even better idea (as mentioned above). They ultimately are at fault for giving the wrong color. cab guy is second for not spraying a sample and showing it to you. So see if SW will refund whatever you spent on paint.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

My goodness, I just re-viewed your kitchen photos. It is absolutely gorgeous. I'd move on at this point.

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Kirsten E.- I came here years ago with questions about a beam for a house, as I hung around I became more and more appalled at the anti-consumer bias in conflict resolution on these forums. I don't think it is intentional or that they are bad people, but I do think that Pro's often completely discount reasonable resolution because they have gotten away with it so long. I will admit that I often have to play the foil on these threads and in the fall and spring, that might be the lion's share of my contributions.

So my bias may appear a certain way, but that is largely because I am only participating when the conflict resolution advice is biased against the poster.

----

I assure you, our orientation didn't and doesn't discuss common answers to cases. I do remember class lectures about, "there are no answers in the law, there is simply the plaintiff argues and the defendant argues." However, one of the things I remember very detailed discussions on is the difference between arguing over the law and advising clients. Which is something you should consider.

Just because reasonable minds can differ doesn't mean every difference is reasonable. The earth is not flat, it doesn't become flat just because a reasonable mind believes it to be so. The OP didn't paint the cabinets incorrectly, nothing the OP did would change that fact. So to infer the OP is in any way responsible for their being painted the wrong color is just objectively wrong. Nor is every opinion well informed. In this case, a repaint would legitimately cost significantly more than a discount. Someone who doesn't understand the coating process might not understand that.

You too have a bias, you believe I am introducing a tort discussion into a thread, when I am simply responding to an objectively incorrect statement. Feel free to argue with my advice in this thread but that was simply to reach a reasonable settlement with the cabinetmaker and don't just settle now for something you will hate later.

I get it, you want to bring me down a few notches... cool. I am not always right and I often oversimplify, because discussing the counterargument that the defendant's attorney is going to argue in a court case, doesn't add a lot of value when my advice is always keep it away from attorneys. However, you need me to be wrong, more than you need to be right. Which is why your jabs are not that troublesome.

Just look at your previous post, where you discuss third party beneficiaries. Did you really believe I didn't remember the giant discussion where I explained third party beneficiaries just a couple of days ago? Aside from the fact that every supplier is going to have an intended beneficiary clause, you wouldn't get a third party beneficiary settlement without getting attorneys involved here and spending way more than the $13k. Advising that someone seek resolution from their plumber instead of their G.C. is different than telling someone to take on a corporation with $17.5 billion in sales.

Since you have experience in law school, give an assist rather than looking to bring me down a notch. If you start explaining contractual duties, I will get to stop. Which would be fine with me.

• Abby Mac
    last year
    last modified: last year

Worrying about future customers was my idea in saying he should repaint vs giving a discount after the fact. Wrong or not, it feels like it cheapens his work to do so.

Thanks for schooling me on all the issues with repainting.

Anyhoo. I hope the OP posts with news of a resolution soon.

• Kirsten E.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Bry911 - That was quite the long-winded post, the vast majority of which seems to have missed the point. I don’t care to “bring you down” - though it’s telling you feel that way from the few words I’ve written. My only goal is to help you realize that yours is not the only correct or reasonable opinion, despite the tone and authority with which you write. We can agree though that there is a difference between arguing over law and advising clients, and those of us who actually litigate for a living typically don’t care to do either outside of work. I have no interest in arguing inapposite points of law here even when you try to make them the answer to a question no one asked...have a good night.

• bry911
    last year

I am not advising litigation and so the fact, that you do that for a living has little to do with this thread. Take inspiration from the Pros who do this for a living yet still help people here, and answer a few questions.

1. Does a consumer forfeit any right to damages once installation has occurred?
    2. Do you forfeit your right to collect from a manufacturer if he shows the mistake was made by his supplier rather than himself?
    3. Would you advise the OP to negotiate directly with Sherwin Williams in this case?

These are fairly easy questions, but please remember this is not about litigation, this is about the reasonableness of negotiating a discount.

• Chessie
    last year

I suppose I'd have a lot more money if I was compensated for everything that wasn't correct and I just lived with because I worry too much about other people's feelings. I picture a feeble old cabinet maker barely making ends meet and the OP ripping the month's rent away from them, lol.

Jeez. If I had to worry about that^^ for every service I hired, I would never hire anyone. I am a fairly no-nonsense person when it comes to hiring contractors to perform a service. I'm picky and I want things done right. And if I have learned ANYTHING over the years, it's that there is nothing that can't be "gotten wrong". I always discuss specifics, every dirty detail, with the pro that is giving me the estimate. I don't pay bottom dollar to someone that is "scraping by" to do a job in my home. I would never feel good about that because the chances that it will not be done right are too great. Every detail goes in writing.

If I wound up with the wrong paint color, and I honestly preferred my original documented choice, I would insist upon a repaint. Not even a question in my mind. A discount would not work for me as I would just never be happy with the substitute color.

• itsourcasa
    last year

@kikoshouse any update?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Someone upthread commented that the cabinet guy's vision possibly played a role. That was my thought initially also. I had a painter who needed to go get more of the custom mixed paint for my LR (that I had purchased), and went to a different chain for it. He couldn't tell the difference in color, but I saw it immediately when it went on the wall. Some people can't ever distinguish small differences in shades; some lose the ability as they age.

Not that it is here nor there now, really.

I hope the OP has asked SW to compensate for the error.

• Karen
    last year

Why do we seem to be assuming that the color difference was noticeable when the cabinetmaker received the paint/began painting? Even the OP's posting suggested that the color difference wasn't immediately, definitively apparent to her when she saw the cabinets.

• Chessie
    last year

It doesn't matter whether it was noticeable by the cabinetmaker or not. It really doesn't. He could be colorblind.

• ngcurt
    last year

You know, I’ve been following this thread since it’s inception and have to say I’m baffled. Yes, a mistake was made, but the OP is happy with the result. Why ask for anything? Lessons learned on all sides, hopefully. Move on.

• Karen
    last year

Chessie, why doesn’t it matter? I’m honestly confused. So many posters have suggested that the cabinetmaker is responsible, but if the paint was labeled with the correct color, and if the paint was so similar that it looked like the correct color (the color that it was labeled), I’m interested in why you think it’s irrelevant that the difference may not have been noticeable.

• vinmarks
    last year

I think there is blame to go around. SW should have made the correct color. Cabinet maker should have had client sign off on the color before proceeding and OP should have confirmed the color was correct before painting was started on cabinets. OP said they spent a lot of time choosing the color. If it was so important why didn't they check to make sure it was correct? It would have been simple to ask the cabinet guy to show a sample before proceeding. How is the cabinet guy suppose to know that it wasn't the correct color? He used the paint supplied by SW for the color the client wanted. Even if he was to cross reference the formula on the can wouldn't it still show as being the color the client wanted? Not only were the cabinets installed with the wrong color but the counters, appliances and sink were also installed. The OP allowed the work to continue even though they thought the color looked brighter.

Lori A. Sawaya
    last year

He could be colorblind.

Yep.

Which is why measuring color with a portable device and referencing the resulting color data values is essential in ANY design workflow where color is critical. Like painting cabinets.

I think I've mentioned that once or twice already, lol :)

Absolutely can not, should not rely on any one individual's subjective opinion about color appearance. Ever.

Because people who have color vision deficiencies often don't know they have a problem and can actually get quite defensive about their belief that how they see color is correct - and everyone else is wrong or being too picky.

Arguing the science, the measurements, and other people's perception of color is the first clue that there's a color acuity issue.

Because people with normal color vision have an innate color compass and never make conclusive statements like "X" color is blue implying that it's always blue in every context, for example.

• Chessie
    last year

Yup. What she^^ said.

• richfield95
    last year

The technical discussions on color are interesting, but its time to move on people. Life is too short to argue this much over something that literally has zero impact on you. I wish it would let me delete my older post so I could stop getting notifications on this thread!

@kikoshouse Your kitchen is lovely, i hope you enjoy it!

• kikoshouse
    last year

FINAL UPDATE! This issue has been satisfactorily resolved. SW offered to reimburse the cost of the paint ($300) to the cabinetmaker and he happily passed that savings along to me. All is well and I have learned an important lesson. Now I will go enjoy my beautiful new kitchen with aqua cabinets! Thanks all!

• vinmarks
    last year

Glad you had a resolution you are happy with. Enjoy your lovely kitchen.

Lori A. Sawaya
    last year
    last modified: last year

I wish it would let me delete my older post so I could stop getting notifications on this thread!

What's so great about a public forum is there's something for everyone and everyone gets to decide - for themselves - what they want to read.

If something isn't for you, simply delete the notification or scroll on by.

It's not that hard and it's a lot more considerate and polite than assuming you're in a position to essentially tell people to shut up.

• bry911
    last year
    last modified: last year

Or you could go to the bottom and

"Click to switch off email notifications about new comments"

It switches off all notifications I think.

Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    last year

The color is fantastic. Pay the man. The other color would have read duller and this one is so much more fun and whoever said more period appropriate, I agree with you.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

What style is your home and when was it built? I didn't notice who said "period appropriate," but it really is wonderful! Whoever did the soapstone counter tops did a fantastic job of matching the veining on the horizontal and vertical. I love the 3" backsplash, and that sink and faucet are perfect! It's large enough to work in but not so large to make it inefficient. And of course the blue/green cabinet color is the icing on the cake! You did a GREAT job--enjoy!

• Chessie
    last year

Aggie dba Aggie Designs

See...that is just more evidence of "everyone has their own preferences".

I much prefer the other color. No question. But glad the OP got this resolved and is happy.

• Mrs. S
    last year

@bry911 This website is better because you are on it. I've never found you abrasive; just smart and practical.

• kikoshouse
    last year

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC It’s a 1915 Craftsman Chalet. I am in love with the soapstone! They are real pros, especially for my remote, rural area on the southern Oregon coast. The backsplashes are 5” inches, but it’s hard to tell in the photo. They were meant to be 4” but the outlets ended up being a little too high so we extended it to 5. It’s perfect! Thank you for the compliments on my kitchen! I’m very happy with how it turned out. It’s hard to say without having seen the color I requested, but the color might just be a happy accident! It’s very cheerful in contrast to the dark soapstone, and the colors still go well together.

We just had this happen. Ordered cabinets from Affordable cabinets. They made them and asked us to approve the sample. The paint sample wasn't right color so we were asked to pock out the color from Sherwin Williams and we did and sent them a pic of the front and back of the sample card. The cabinets arrive and after 30 minutes I notice it doesn't look black so I get the original paint stick and our cabinets are that color. Sherwin Williams mixed up the wrong paint and our cabinet people didn't notice it. We got a copy of the paint codes and they don't match our color...now we have an unfinished kitchen and are fighting both affordable cabinets and Sherwin wliams