trish_walter

March 2020 Building a Home

Trish Walter

Kicking off March to say we have progress!! After a LOONG delay while working out roofing issues, they started framing last week. Woo Hoo.

• Junk*Salvation

@K H With the chosen cabinet panel, I would go with the raised panel drawer. I feel like they match in style the best.

• shead

I would do either a slab drawer front or a raised panel drawer front like the door.

Need help with ideas. Moved to WV this past March.

I would replace the metal with thick wood beams.take down red boxes and front plants. Maybe build wooden flower beds, the full width of the house on either side of the stairs. Probably three tiers, 1 1/2- 2 feet wide for each tier,wood going horizontal.Plant grasses in the top one, possibly four plants across per side. Globe cedars along the middle row and possibly another type of grass along the bottom. Just keep it simple not all sorts of plants. I would also put black shutters on the windows. Paint front door something that stands out. Change the banister on the stairs to a chunky wood as well. Think I would go cedar tone or dark wood on all the wood. If you go dark make shutters brighter. I would add a built up flower bed 4ft from the sidewalk on the right side...maybe three feet with a span of 6 ft, Hang a old ornate frame to display house number or family name in this flower bed. I would also plant tall cedars to hide the background on either side of the house.

Surround Studio - first own project to be build!

This looks very cool! Great Job

Need help and suggestions in building a Fusion Home

Hi Sophie, this is not a scam. I can prove it! Please enter your card details and account number below to prove you are real and I will send you the required information to prove our authenticity. Or alternatively, send us a message, follow our adventures....you have the blog info Follow Matt, Amy and Mowgli. Or you can read our story in Costa Rica Star on the Finca Bellavista website or read about us in Ronda Magazine. I could go on but what I'm after is some advice, not charity or your money. Thank you Lampert Dias Architects for the link!

Techy House features avail today and to be trendy by year 2020?

True...i can see that happeing too. Thankfully a TV is something you can simply add or remove if needed. Maybe I'm asking for too much or too strange of a request. What I'm looking for are things i should built into my new house or leave out of it because it's useless. I can see the argument "if you're building a new house, what's the harm in adding a cable outlet or telephone jack?"...my counter argument is why do it if you're NEVER, EVER going to use it and won't be used in the future? Things like that...in my current 10 year old house, we have never used those and don't plan on using them in every bedroom or basement bedrooms.
  • Junk*Salvation

I agree with @shead if you are able to choose something other than what you shared. Example:

Raised Panel Cabinet panel & drawer front

• Trish Walter

If you're bored, help me pick my Roof Shingles Color...

Siding will be painted SW Shoji White [creamy white] and there will be fond du lac stone

small inset front porch will have 2 wood posts and wood look concrete floor

Door will be either Urbane Bronze or a teal/blue color

Windows are Marvin Bronze

Was thinking Weathered Wood but saw Antique Slate and thought it looked cool too...

Here's my house:

Here's Weathered Wood [house is also painted Shoji White]

Here's Antique Slate

Trish

• K H

@shead @Junk*Salvation i think the rp will look like this

And the ogee will look like this

I only have drawer stacks I don’t have any drawers over cupboards. I want a traditional slab drawer front just not sure what to pick!

@Trish Walter antique slate!!!!

• Trish Walter

@K H

I like the ogee.

• devonfield

Trish Walter - I second antique slate!

• devonfield

K H - Love the ogee!

• Kirsten E.

I think I would do ogee if you’re aiming for closer to slab

• K H

Cabinet make said he could do a slab but I think it looks too plain/modern so I asked for a routed edge

• N Kay

K H - that should look really nice and give you the look you want.

Trish Walter - antique slate looks really nice

Final windows and glass doors in ....

• Trish Walter

@N Kay that view...that view...

• Trish Walter

ok so antique slate seems to be winning. not too gray with the bronze windows?

yay...

• K H

@N Kay beautiful views! I love Sierra Pacific windows. If we had a dealer closer I would have gone with them! You didn't vote on my drawer front Ogee or Raised Panel? I'm taking a poll like Trish lol!

@Trish Walter I think it ties it all together!

• Kirsten E.

Trish, I actually like the weathered wood with the bronze wi does, but it looked more brown than gray on my screen!

• K H

Decided to go with the ogee. I think it will be the "safe option" and will get me a more traditional look compared to a plain slab. Hopefully it will look similar to this kitchen. I know the cupboards in this kitchen also have an ogee routed edge but I don't like how it narrows the rails on the cupboards and makes them look so skinny. I'm so excited a couple more weeks until I get cabinets!

Kitchen -- McLean · More Info

• N Kay

@ K H I think the Ogee will look great and I am so jealous you are getting close to cabinets. I feel like e are a lifetime away from such fun.

Those are the only Sierra Pacific windows/doors. They are super affordable for that big folding door I guess. The rest are Anderson (can’t remember which series)

• Jennifer C

Trish, I like both but prefer the slate. That's only because I always choose gray over brown for everything. What color are you naturally drawn to more?

N Kay, that is a stunning view, especially with the tall ceilings and windows.

Kirsten, did you create the kitchen 3d design? I've been using sweethome 3d but I like yours a lot better.

Good news for us, home construction is still working through the shutdown. I'm still not permitted to work. It doesn't feel right going and picking out fixtures when we should stay home. It's a tough place to be in but I don't want to hold it up any further either. Is anyone else facing these issues yet?

• K H

@Trish Walter i do like the weathered wood too it gives the house an old world feel but I like the sharp contrast of the slate against the white. I was originally going to do a browner shingle but I couldn’t find the right shade.

@Jennifer C that is difficult. Is it possible to purchase online? I picked out and bought most of my stuff online

• Kirsten E.

@Jennifer C Unfortunately, my design capabilities are limited to graph paper and word haha! That was from the cabinet design/sales person :) The rest of the cabinets and shelves are up, so the render is also complete! Also, like @K H, I chose all my fixtures online; appliances were the only thing I ended up choosing in person. And weirdly the one choice I already regret!

• C W

Everyone’s projects are looking so great!

Our home is going up fast - framing is set to be done by the end of next week.

Our builder sent us this pic of the trusses going up! So exciting!

• N Kay

@Kirsten E. what are you regretting about your appliances?

@Jennifer C I did an on-line consult yesterday with Ferguson rep - she and I went through everything and she shared her screen with me. It was effective enough that I think we got everything finalized

Montana just got the Shelter at Home order - so no idea what will get done on my build. The plumber is supposed to start rough-in Monday. No idea if it is a solo plumber or a small crew or what but I'm a big proponent of things being locked down to flatten the curve so I'm good if things come to a halt (even though I'll be really sad)

• Jennifer C

Kirsten the cabinets are looking great! I have to see things for myself so was hoping you had better software I didn't know about 😅

It's definitely possible to purchase online or over the phone. We will probably be doing that with the garage doors. I'm definitely a touch and see kind of person so it's very difficult to make decisions when it's not in front of me.

N Kay, they will most likely still build, if things change here I will let you know so you know what to expect.

• Kirsten E.

@N Kay We bought our appliances very early on in the build during a Black Friday sale, and then our build ended up being pretty delayed, so we were rushed for no reason. Since it was so early on in the build, we were being super cost conscious. Unfortunately, budget went out of the window one surprise basement dewatering ago haha! Since we decided to up our budget, I probably would have sprung for a paneled dishwasher and/or fridge since our main level is so open. The good thing is that those things can be added later, so it’s not a huge regret, just a little one. Have you looked at the shelter in place order to see if construction trades are exempt? It varies by state/order.

@Jennifer C thank you! I’m a visual person too, but I ended up choosing all of my fixtures online because I like to exhaust all options (often time my detriment ha!) and so I was looking at thousands of things at once, which wouldn’t be possible in person. In some cases, I still haven’t see the thing I picked because it’s an online retailer, no show rooms in area, etc. In some cases, when possible, I did then go visit the thing I identified online in person at the showroom before committing.

• Trish Walter

I struggled so much with vanities...oh my...finally just pulled the trigger on some this morning...couldn't justify the price of some that I loved...sigh...

• K H

I think I got carried away on lighting. My DH is going to wonder why we have a sparkly chandelier in the basement nook when there is an exposed concrete floor...... Well, when you can get a $700 chandelier for $150 sometimes you just go for it lol! Maybe I'll move is to my country kitchen eating area if my drum fabric fixture doesn't put off enough light!

• cd7733

Hope everyone is well! I can tell y'all that this quarantine business has put me in a real funk.

But we have some updates! Garage doors are on, exterior stain, interior paint, and cabinets are all getting wrapped up and the electricians will be in next week to install the recessed LEDS and fire it up! (My little ones JUMPED FOR JOY when they saw their paint colors!)

Tentative close date in late April!

• K H

@cd7733 what color of pink did you end up going for? Exterior colors look awesome!

Just so everyone knows we are at our one year breaking ground anniversary on our home. Still no septic (it is so wet we have frogs croaking outside of our walkout which my 15 yr old loves and has already named the loudest croaker lol) cabinets set for 2 weeks away!

• cd7733

Thank you @K H! My little one picked SW Charming Pink!

• Trish Walter

@cd7733 woo hoo so close!

@K H we have a wetland currently also and hear the frogs calling out to each other so loud lol.

I got all my plumbing fixtures ordered and vanities....feel so accomplished. woo hoo.

now to finally decide on the wood floor...UGH.

• Kathy

K H How terrible. I completely sympathize with you, as you know.

Our lot is flooded now too and we still can't get our CO because we weren't able to get it graded when it was dry.

• shead

l have loved seeing everyone’s progress this month! So exciting!

Well, it’s the end of March which means our new build should begin within the next month. Although I’ll be glad when it’s done, I feel like I’ve hit a slump emotionally on it. I wish I could say I’m excited but right now, I’m not :( I think it must be the emotional toll of the past couple of months catching up with me on top of moving (again) last week to a larger cabin down the road and all four kids being home all day every day...lol.

Cheers to April 🥂

• snowcountry

Before we move on to an April thread, where is everyone getting their doors? While my build in on hold, I would like to make a few decision and get them out of the way.

• ghatta

We are just seeing Spring emerge here in Minnesota. I live East of St Paul on the MN/WI border. Almost 14 months of living in this house. Still have a couple items on the punch list but in NO hurry or want to have anyone in to fix anything. The outside will happen when it’s a little warmer. Love seeing the choices and the progress on all the new houses. So glad we are done. Refinanced in January because our first mortgage was at the top in December 2018. Figures it would drop after we did ours. 🙄 anyway. Down to 3+ so happy with that. This is the first of the ferns emerging in my swale. There will be hundreds of them later on. And the birds are all coming back. The first bluebirds arrived this week too. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• K H

@snowcountry it really depends on what you want for doors. Interior doors were the lowest priority for me(a door is a door and we have been over budget on most things). But I did want stained ones and I didn't want to stain them myself so I found the cheapest door that could be prefinished the most quickly. I got quotes from three lumberyards and my friend said she got hers through Menards. I went and looked at her doors and thought they were good enough, they were also the cheapest and they have this super cool door designer that you can just go through and create your door 7-10 day lead time. https://midwest.menards.com/YDYWInternetDesktop/estimate.do?execution=e1s1

I purchased mine when they were on sale. Purchased 18 doors they averaged around $238 a door and I had 3 sets of double doors so I think I did pretty well. The quality is better than the expensive exterior Masonite doors I purchased. There are a couple of spots that need touched up but overall they look nice.

• cd7733

@snowcountry Our interior doors are Jeld-Wen (picked Carrara Smooth) and our front door is from Woodcraft. Our builder showed us a catalog page for interiors and gave us a showroom name for the exterior. The front door is a 3080 3/4 Lite unfinished Mahogany with Flemish glass (the painter is finishing it to match our cabinets). It was $1200 with our allowance set at $2000. Our garage doors are Amarr. I don't know the total cost for interior and the three garage doors.

https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/products/interior-doors/molded-wood-composite/carrara-smooth-all-panel

https://www.glasscraft.com/3-4-lite-mahogany-or-knotty-alder-%E2%80%A2-80-tall-slate-grey/

https://www.amarr.com/residential/

• K H

@cd7733 love your choices! April 1st we will have 1 month left on the construction loan. I sure hope this people get their stuff together! Decided to go with Cambria Berwyn for countertops. It has some sparkle with some brown/gray/cream. I have a beautiful creamy colored subway tile I plain to pair with it(looks kind of similar color to the one in the photos below. And our island is going to be painted BM Wrought Iron. I know its alot going on with the cherry cabinets but I laid them all out and I think it can be pulled off!

I called ahead to setup a template. Hopefully my cabinets can get installed by then! I love how the Berwyn contrasts with the darker stain!
    Cambria Berwyn close up

I really wanted this sea pearl Quartzite or Macaubas Pearl Quartzite I got both quoted and one was 2k more than the Cambria and the Sea pearl was 6k more! I decided I would rather purchase an RO unit for safe drinking water instead. Quartzite must be the hot thing right now.

(Pictured below the quartzite that I can’t afford :(

Here's the Wrought Iron color I planned for the island.

• Kirsten E.

I believe ours are from Bayer Built. We had to pay a little more for flush doors, but less dusting long term was worth it to me :) (still need to be painted and hinges switched out). Decided to go with frosted glass for office doors.

• shead

@K H, love the Wrought Iron and that counter! I’m wanting to do a dark navy island and that seems like a perfect color!

• K H

@shead it is a bluer gray but I’m not sure I would call it navy. I painted a leftover piece of trim with it and it changed colors when the Light reflected off of it. It can look almost like a distressed black in certain conditions

• snowcountry

@Kirsten E. Love your doors. Is that what you call flat doors, flush doors? That’s what I had in mind. Is that solid or hollow?

• Kirsten E.

@snowcountry thank you! I specified Flush (no panel) doors. Most are hollow, but a few specific ones will be solid (office door, master bath door)

• snowcountry

@Kirsten E. How do prevent solid doors from splitting? Why are you choosing some hollow some solid? What are the pros and cons?

• Kirsten E.

@snowcountry I believe they are solid CORE not solid wood, so splitting wasnt raised as a concern (and my builder talked me out of wood wherever he thought expansion might be an issue!). Solid core is more expensive than hollow, so I limited to areas where sound reduction was a priority. It’s just the two of us for now, so the office, master bathroom, and main level bath that guests will use are the only places I felt it were worth it right now.

• Barbara C

I just read through this entire post and I have never seen such a positive, supportive series of comments! So refreshing!! We are also in the process of building a house and although I have received some excellent advice on this site, I have also at times received very negative, judgmental and confrontational remarks.

So many wonderful projects here and so many gorgeous pictures. II wish everyone the best of luck in getting their houses completed!

• Trish Walter

Interior Doors. I showed Builder pics of ones I liked and told him I wanted solid doors. They are 4 panel shaker I think.

The exterior Builder wanted to use ThermaTru so I picked some I liked [I really wanted wood but couldn't justify the $$ lol].

Garage are a local brand. Fairly basic as this was a good place to also save money as it's side of house and only we will see typically...lol. Overhead Garage Door.

@Barbara C Welcome. This 'page' is always on the kind end. Building a home is stressful enough.

• Junk*Salvation

We have installed the doors already but here is the style we went with. We did solid core downstairs and hollow core upstairs. The only reason I did not do solid throughout was due to cost.

• Junk*Salvation

Here are some progress photos for y’all! None of the shower tile is complete but getting there! My husband & I have been working on hanging doors and now working on the trim work. Painters are coming out tomorrow to do some of the wood ceilings. Cabinets are holding us up right now (ugh!!!! Been frustrating but I’m trying to be patient!). SO much stuff to finish up ordering but some of my light fixtures have come in and I can’t wait to see them installed! Sooooo pretty!

Living Room windows we trimmed out today:

Master Bath Freestanding Tub/Shower area:

My daughter's feminine shower/tub wrap. Photos do not do this thing justice. It is soooo pretty!

My son's tub/shower tile in progress. I went with a glass tile in here & am loving how it looks. They are doing a great job with it (gray herringbone accent tile in soap shelf).

• Junk*Salvation

The back of our home...trying to picture it without alllll of the construction chaos (most I cut out of this picture that is piled to the left, ha!). I look forward to seeing the grading done in the future, steps added, etc. We plan to just do grass & fencing, as far as landscaping goes, for now. 2-3 years down the road, the plan is to add an in-ground pool (hence the garage door to access easy storage for pool furniture, freezer, pool bath, etc). Dreaming of summer already, if you can’t tell! lol!