Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Ever used the store shopping sevices?

Some stores like Safeway and Target offer online shopping and they'll bring your order out to your car when you get there.

First, do they charge for this service?

Second, do you end up with decent produce? I'm kinda picky about picking my produce, and have passed up on something like slimy green beans (reported to manager!) or not ripe or too ripe melons.

We aren't at the point of not going to the store, with only 4 cases of the virus in our county so far, but things can change in a heartbeat!

I'm going to be stepping up my garden this year ! Went from large to small, but have some room to expand! It'll give me more to do while socially distancing from the public!

Comments (19)

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I use Albertson's curbside pickup all the time. The employees who pick the orders are kind of picky about stuff, and the fresh items have always been top quality. At least here I have never had any problems. No extra charge.

I just now used Target's curbside pickup for the first time. Easy easy easy. My Target is not a super Target, so no food items. Again, very easy and the order was accurate. No extra charge.

I'm going to try Home Depot delivery tomorrow. They don't have curbside pickup, plus I need a lot of messy mulch and stuff, so I think I will pay the fee and let them clean their own truck.

• Jamie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’ve used the service from Walmart and Kroger. Walmart requires a $30 purchase (unless they’ve changed it, I quit shopping with them) and Kroger charges $5 or so. I have had good experiences with both. It works well if you know exactly what you want. I was worried about getting someone else to pick out my produce but, I have not been disappointed. I also thought that the people using this service would expect the best quality on those kinds of items and so the shopper Will make an effort to choose the best produce. If an item was out of stock, they would substitute a similar item- and with Kroger you have to option to not allow substitutions.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

DH just told me our niece had used Fred Meyer (so Kroger) curbside pickup this weekend. She had several errands to do in a city an hour away and was taking the children to lunch with their grandparents, called in her order to be ready as she left for home again. It did have a $5 fee, worth it to her not to take two tired toddlers into a crowded store given the circumstances we are all shopping under.

I know there was a time or two around the date the second baby was born that she used Safeway home delivery. Can't say I blame her, although I haven't used one of the services myself. That's what retired husbands are for.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

I did use Shipt, which delivers for our local Meijer store, but only a couple of times because I usually stop and pick up my own groceries while I'm getting groceries for Mother, and I'm on my way there so I'm out and about anyway.

It cost $49 per year and I always tipped the delivery person, they brought it right to the house, and I'm about 10 miles from Meijer, or a bit less. I didn't use it enough to say much about produce, although I got things like celery and carrots and they were fine.

Annie

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

I've had my boring everyday groceries delivered from the supermarket for years. I don't have a car and I hate shopping. There's a minimum order for free delivery but I only order every 6 to 8 weeks so I always spend enough to get it free. Vegetables I also get delivered by a local market gardener/greengrocer. The main things we buy in person are fish, meat, coffee, dairy, fresh juice and bread, all from small businesses. Wine comes from a local merchant every few months. Luckily there is no tipping culture here for deliveries,

• Jamie
    4 years ago

One thing that I forgot to add .. I’m a fanatic (and have been for 20 years or so) about using canvas shopping bags instead of plastic. In this area, there’s not an option to not have your order in plastic bags.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I did Stop and Shop's PeaPod delivery service when I broke my ankle and could not drive (or even sit in) a car. They delivered to the house and it worked efficiently, although there are things I would never trust them to pick for me. When I want fish, I typically go and just pick the freshest of something I enjoy, which may differ from expectations when I physically enter a store. And I learned during the PeaPod time NOT to have them pick out lamb shoulder chops - those things were FATTY. It would be hard for them to shop avocadoes for me, too... I tend to buy 3 at a time and they're at differing stages of ripeness on purpose when I pick them out,

PeaPod won't deliver to my current zip code, however.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

shambo, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, I just watched some of your cooking videos last week and thought about you.

Be well.

Annie

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

No, I only use Sam's Club for some things delivered. There is no delivery for groceries out here and I don't drive.

Sue

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I haven’t gone into a grocery store in months, maybe even years. I use the curbside pick-up mostly. I have had some clunkers, but over all it has been at least as good as I would do. If I get something that is really bad, I call the customer service line. Without fail, they have refunded my money.

Last year when I returned from Spain with food poisoning and the cupboards were bare, I used the delivery service. I’ve since used it a couple of times. I really can’t justify it unless I’m sick. I pay $10 for the service, plus I usually give the delivery person a $10 tip. That makes it a pretty pricey proposition!

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I've used curbside pickup for a long time. I called today because my corned beef I opened was spoiled. They want me to return it. I asked if I could return it during my curbside pickup tomorrow. They told me curbside might be closed because they are out of so much stuff. Dang, I guess I'll take my chances today.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@cooper8828, see if they will send someone to the curb to retrieve it from you.

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

They said they would. I just don't want to take that stinky thing back. I double zip-lock bagged it! :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

I've not tried it yet. One more trip to our store tomorrow, and I'll give it a go next week. It's $5 - Food City, which doesn't seem terrible. Our local Kroger is awful, and even if they provided the service for free, I'd pass.

cooper8828... ew, gross! I totally understand. Once bought quite a lot of heavy cream and it was bad. I let it slither down the drain - and even that gagged me.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

The 2 places closest to me that provide the curbside pick up service have no availability for the foreseeable future. However, if I want to drive to the next little town over (23 miles), I can pick up at either anytime tomorrow! I find that odd!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

That is strange.

Huh, I was concerned that curbside pickups would be inundated with requests and newly interested people (like me). Each time I've shopped in the past, I've seen only one buyer picking up groceries while I was there. I've a feeling soon the grocery stores will be empty of people shopping, as well as goods.

Perhaps, if people feel they can pick up at curbside, some of the hoarding will slow down? Who knows.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

I'm trying curbside pickup for the first time at two different grocery stores. Neither is charging anything for pickup.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    4 years ago

My daughter has used Kroger pickup curbside for a few years. Usually she can call up on a Saturday night and pick it up Sunday morning. But the last week it seems to be at least a three to four day wait before the curbside pick up is ready. Guess a lot more people are using it or lack of workers or they may be waiting to have the shelves restocked. But they are out of a lot of things. Last time they were out of milk, baby diapers and of course Lysol etc.