Software
Houzz Logo Print
koodomob

Help with choosing coffee tables

6 years ago

Hi,


We just recently painted our fireplace wall. We will be also repainting the other walls (most

likely classic gray). My question is about coffee and end tables. I’m thinking of adding a low console table between the two window chairs (the gray thing in the middle now will move), but I have no idea what shape to buy for an actual coffee table for the sofa? And what colour? Trying to avoid more gray. Also, would I place the coffee table in the middle of the room or closer to the sofa? I’m worried if it’s in the middle you wouldn’t be able to reach it.

I’ll need to choose a coffee table that is low enough so it doesn’t block the fireplace. I’m so lost! Any tips would be much appreciated! Please ignore the poll option. I couldn’t get it to disappear!




Couldn’t remove
Couldn’t remove

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Right now, it looks like your seating pieces are too far away from each other, but it's hard to tell the dimensions. How wide is the room? Keep in mind that the coffee table should be approximately 18" from the front of the sofa.

    koodomob thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I will be a little bit more time to do it and it will be

  • 6 years ago

    I will check the dimension of the room. I was trying to keep the furniture a little further apart so I wouldn’t block the built-ins and fireplace :)

  • 6 years ago

    Also, I think a wood coffee table similar to the wood on the back of the island stools (walnut?) would be nice.

  • 6 years ago

    To give you an idea I moved the gray piece to

    18” from the sofa

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I also love what you did with the fireplace wall. I wouldn't worry about blocking the fireplace with the furniture--that's a non issue.

    You could get an oval coffee table which would provide a nice contrast with all the right angles in the room.

    Here are some suggestions:


    Ellen Coffee Table · More Info



    Imperial Triangle Coffee Table in Black · More Info



    Mid-Century Modern Walnut Finished Coffee Table · More Info


    koodomob thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I'd also add some window treatments--maybe bamboo/grass/wood shades for texture, or roman shades in a complementary fabric. And add a photo/framed picture grouping on the wall over the sofa.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think your layout needs to be adjusted because the two tall back chairs have now become a visual barrier to the room. I would place the two tall back chairs on angles in front of the windows and move the tub chairs to the other side of the room to form a conversation grouping with the sofa. The tub chairs are low enough to not block the view to the new media wall. Make sure all your furnishings are on the rug and have space behind them so they do not touch the walls. Nothing makes a room looked more cramped than furnishings that touch the walls.



  • 6 years ago

    following

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I love colorful rugs, but perhaps a selection that is still tribal but more contemporary might work better.







    koodomob thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Bump

    koodomob thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Still a work in progress. I can’t afford a new rug right now, but I will be getting in cleaned. The lighter parts are normally much lighter. My dog has been getting her muddy paws on it!







  • 6 years ago

    I'd pull the coffee table closer to the sofa- 18". Your chairs have a table for drinks already. You could get little ottomans/poufs for them if you need something for feet- maybe in an accent color from the rug if you're keeping it.

    koodomob thanked Gcubed
  • 6 years ago

    I was trying to figure out if I could pull the coffee table closer to the sofa without it looking off center. I really like the idea of little ottomans.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I had the same response to the coffee table, it doesn't look like it "belongs" to the sofa, just floating out there. I love your rug, it's beautiful and adds a lightness to the room, pulling together the lighter colored walls and fire surround/furniture with some nice color also. The wall above the sofa is a bit of a big empty space.

    koodomob thanked Laura Grosmaire
  • 6 years ago

    follow...

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! When stores reopen I’m going to look for a piece of art of gallery of some sort for above the sofa. I also need to rearrange the items in my shelves and pick up a few things. We repainted recently and haven’t put anything on the walls yet.

  • 6 years ago

    Don’t really have anything to add but I definitely agree with Beverly’s furniture arrangement. Find some great art for above the couch and you’re done. Beautiful space!

    koodomob thanked yumelizabeth
  • 6 years ago

    I couldn’t get the two large recliners to fit in front of the window so I removed them.

  • 6 years ago

    Is there any chance the sofa would work under the windows? Then you could try the large chairs on the opposite wall and smaller ones on either side of the sofa.

  • 6 years ago

    I tried that as well. The sofa can fit under the windows but the recliners there wouldn’t be able to recline. My kids are young and use them all the time :). They aren’t in great shape so we’ll replace them later with something that works better in the space Also, I think the photo makes it seem as though the space is much larger than it is. I tried to move the club chairs by the sofa but the one by the tv was then at risk from the fireplace heat.




Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert