Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nataliab7

Kitchen Progress- Ideas for Bay Window/Breakfast Nook

nataliab7
4 years ago

Hi everyone! We are making progress on our budget kitchen remodel. We had the counter tops installed and will we adding the backsplash in the next few days. We decided to go with a glossy 3x6 white subway tile with Maipei Warm Gray grout. We added crown molding to the top of the cabinets to cover this horrible pipe that was visible.

I was wondering if anyone had idea for the bay window area. We had an old table there in the past, but I want to update it. I was thinking a round table with some cute chairs. I do not know if there is enough space to build a bench/seated banquette area for storage and seating. My mom suggested an island in the middle but I do not know how that would look or if it is a good idea with the layout of the kitchen. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Buehl
    4 years ago

You might be able to get a small rolling cart/island that can be parked in front of the window or the corner (right of window) when not in use, but unless there's hidden space somewhere, you do not have room for a traditional island or a medium/large cart.

I agree that you do not have room for a regular table.

What's in the corner to the right of the window? How big is that area? Maybe a small chair & bistro table could fit there, but without actual measurements, I cannot say.

Measurements of the entire space would be helpful!

What you don't want to do is impede access to/from the Kitchen, block easy access to or the aisle in front of the refrigerator, or impede the DW.

nataliab7 thanked Buehl
  • Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Maybe you can consider a drop leaf table. Of course they come in all shapes and sizes. Then it can be pushed out of the way during prep, and used in front of that great bay window. I don't think you need more than this type of arrangement. Simple is sometimes best, and most functional.

nataliab7 thanked Mrs. S
  • jeffreyd9999
    4 years ago

No " bench/seated banquette ", waste of space, most people do not like to sit on them.

Do you have another dining area?

An island or kitchen cart, but counter height and one side (window side) for 1 or 2 stools. It looks like you could use the counter space and you can stand there, preparing dinner and look out the window.

A large dining table in the middle used like a island could work too. but you probably want the storage space underneath that an island/cart has.

Since you just did the counters, you probably can get the same counter material/color for the island. Just a nice rectangular piece or maybe curved to mimic the bay window curve (D shaped)?

Try doing a mock up with boxes. That always helps me with estimating spacial issues

Also, change the ceiling light to be a longer one that goes more towards the refrigerator. you can never have enough light.

nataliab7 thanked jeffreyd9999
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Pictures from further back...taken from as far into the adjoining room as possible may spark some new ideas...

• nataliab7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I can try to do a scaled drawing, but am not exactly sure how to do that. Just providing measurements? I am posting a picture of how it looked when we moved in with a temporary table in the rectangular shape that did not fit just for scale purposes. We do have another dining room but it is separate and we were not thinking of using it as a traditional dining room so some seating in the kitchen is pretty much necessary. I love all the light the kitchen has from the windows but the layout is difficult.

• nataliab7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the measurements- sorry for the amateur drawing

• nataliab7
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Picture from further back like @ btydrvn suggested! Thanks

• nataliab7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any ideas from anyone who commented earlier or new people? I added dimensions and another picture! thanks

• tsjmjh
    4 years ago

How many people will be eating in the kitchen? If it's only two, you could do a hightop with nice stools (everyone will now start screaming in unison: no hightop !). The reason why I suggest that is the height will be above the window sill more than a regular table and will look, I don't know, "planned."

I have a 30" diameter hightop table in a space I needed to fill in my kitchen but, more importantly, I definitely needed a place for my Knoll Bertoia bar height stools. My husband and I don't use it for eating but it has come in handy for grandsons who love to sit there and guests hanging out in the kitchen. Meaning, it's large enough for dining for two.

If you are more than two, ignore everything above, lol.

nataliab7 thanked tsjmjh
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Are you willing to get a new table? a table close to the same width but square may be better...and how many people need to be accommodated at the table?.....one thought to me was to change to a bench or backless stools that fit completely under the table to be pulled out when needed for seating would use up less floor space when it is not in use

nataliab7 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Another option is a little built in bench seat under the window that fits under the table you have ...so floating chairs are not needed...and the table is more accessible for use as extra counter space....while working in the kitchen

nataliab7 thanked btydrvn
  • nataliab7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes! We are looking for a new table and were thinking of the bench, but we were thinking a round table? At least 4 people have to be able to sit there and maybe 6 at times... I know it is a small space for that many! We have had 6, it can be done!

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I showed a photo upthread of a round drop-leaf table. If you have another dining area, I think most people looking at your room would wonder why the heck it is so important to smoosh everyone into THIS room to eat?

The only table I'd have in this room is one that (a) doubles as a work surface, and (b) folds up and/or slides over easily out of the way of the cooking zone, and I'd think of it as a space for reading and having coffee, or kids having a snack after school. Maybe one kid could do hw there.

A kitchen is a work room...especially a kitchen on the smaller side. Imagine having 6 (or even 4) people dining in your kitchen with that table in there now--how would the cook grab the desserts or a forgotten condiment out of the refrigerator? The aisle would be impassable, imho.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I doubt you could get a round table big enough for six people in that spot ....but the table you have could handle that if you had extra chairs handy near by..2 seat bench and 2 chairs in front for 4 people...with two maybe folding chairs nearby....for the occasional 6...but everyone will have to be pretty friendly ...and any one leaving the table will have to be pretty agile

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I have heard lots of old stories and fond memories of these type of gatherings!