Software
Houzz Logo Print
bethanylewis86

backyard drainage

6 years ago

I would like to add a patio in the corner portion if my yard by thr windows. House has had foundation fixed already and I would like to keep it that way. I now know the grade can't be right in this corner by the windows and brick wall. The side does yard pools to the middle and then down the hill between our neighboring lawns and then out to the street. There probably is a drain somewhere, not sure if clogged or was ever in the right spot. What do I need to do to this corner to put a patio in and ensure the foundation and house stay dry?

Comments (5)

  • 6 years ago

    Sounds like you had a good builder. Water is supposed to drain exactly the way you described. However, there appears to be a concrete curb up against the building in the first picture. Where did that come from? In the other pictures showing the patio you can see the sill of the house exposed for several inches before the soil starts. The curb should not be there, and the sill should be exposed.

    You have a roof drain right where you want to put the patio. Could that be channeled over to the side of the house before dumping it into the yard?

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the reply!
    I am not quite sure what the concrete curb is either, I have been trying to figure that out. It was there when we moved in. The one under the windows slopes down away from house like it should and doesnt appear to be commected to foundation. I suppose. However, the one that runs along the long brick wall slants backwards toward the house. I am guessing it isn't supposed to, but the results of all the foundation work. It worries me because I feel like if water gets on there, due to the other slope from back of yard to the front, it is just pouring it back to that corner where it looks like more work was done. I would think I would need whatever that curb thing is, to either slant the correct way, or if possible, take it out completely and build the dirt back up along the perimeter to regrade to center of yard away from house?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    pitch the patio away from both walls. It will be a slightly warped surface that ends up pitching at a diagonal away from the inside corner of the house. In another thread I asked you how the overall yard is pitched. If you answered there, I have not come to it yet.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Yardvaark!
    I was thinking..if I go with concrete, it might actually help the drainage more as opposed to gravel/brick/stone etc ? I feel like it might be easier to get the correct slope or maybe will help when it rains. Like the front, we have to figure out how to work around the sprinkler system as well.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Since the water can only drain to the front of the property, the yard must be pitched in that direction to accommodate it. Too, grade must be pitched away from the house and from the patio. The patio is part of the drainage pitch. In the picture of side yard, it does not look like grade pitches away from house.