Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mittlk

Full tile kitchen; where to end?

mittlk
4 years ago

Hi! We are planning to tile our entire kitchen w/ subway tile. However there is a space where the kitchen transitions into a dining nook/family area

, and I cannot determine where/how to end the tile wall. Looking for recs! Thank you.

Comments (25)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The backsplash ends when the countertop ends.

• mittlk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, thanks. That makes sense!

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Since that area is not actually in the kitchen, do you think it needs to be tiled at all?

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Stand back and post the whole space.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

From this one tiny shot of the area, I'd forget about tiling that area unless it would be to run one or two rows of subway up to the bottom of the electrical outlet. That would tie it to the rest of the tile but not be overkill with no stopping place.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Where to end tile is not a cut and dry matter. Even tho in beverly's opinion, it should end at the counter, that is by no means the norm.

Here is a good article explaining.

In my observation over time, tile used to be applied mainly to back walls and when it extended to sides or opened onto a wall, ended at the cabs. With the rise of DIY, tile started being extended past the upper cabs, often in "interesting" ways (stepped out, angled out, or just left hanging). As it says in the article, where to end the tile depends on your kitchen, but quite often, it works best to end it where the upper cabs end.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

I would say to where the upper cabs end in your situation.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO in this situation there is no perfect place but I think I need to see the whole space.

• rachann61
    4 years ago

I’m confused. In the photo there is a multi colored mosaic tile. In the text you say you are doing the entire kitchen in subway. We need more photos

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I would end it where the counter top ends and add two pieces of art one above the other to give it symmetry

• christinero
    4 years ago

Since it's not in the kitchen, I probably wouldn't tile that area.

• eam44
    4 years ago

I’m with Angel. If you are going to tile that space, the tile ends where the upper cabinets end. You are removing the existing bs first, yes?

• PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    4 years ago

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Mosaic is being removed.

• PRO
    Emma DeRoche Interior Design
    4 years ago

Correction on my typo above:
    “Continue the subway tiles” not the mosaic since it’s being replaced! 😉

• rachann61
    4 years ago

I’m glad the mosaic is going away. Too busy. Subways will accent and not compete with the green cabinetry. Which I like. If you have extra tile you could go all the way up to the ceiling. But I would not go out and buy extra just for that. This kitchen will be fun to accessorize

• PRO
    Purewal Contractors, Inc
    4 years ago

Mosaic going up would be nice and the top it off with a corner bead nice finish it would lead to a beauitful kitchen

hope your staying safe from the virus as well

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Emma pro's could be in tile / trim neutral ?

I saved this cause it interested me: A kitchen often needs extra functionality. Here’s a backsplash ledge made out of listellos, a tile finishing piece. The ledge is deep enough to accommodate kitchen items such as small potted plants, spices, or bottles.

I guess it would look funny though - just a tiny width to right of cabinet.

Florida Historic Renovation · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/florida-historic-renovation-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~794549

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Throwing this out for consideration. Take down the cupboard and put up shelves, painted green the same as cupboards. Take the shelves to edge of counter, then tile to the edge of counter and just under first shelf, which would align with depth of other

Bryn Mawr English Tudor Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    4 years ago

Nice idea. Then, To add such weight, they should go through the beams for structural support (so opening the wall).

• User
    4 years ago

I was just about to comment with the same idea Emma had: add open shelving to fill in that empty space to the right of the cabinet.

only just put a few things on it so it doesn't look cluttered.

• mittlk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all! Yes, the mosaic tile will be removed. It's a small galley kitchen, so I'd prefer to not get rid of that cabinet space - we need all we can get! But the idea of adding in open shelves is great! Subway tile can then just be cabinet height there. I"ll see if I have any other photos.

• User
    4 years ago

it's going to look great! I love your cabinets and countertops. I'm envious. even with your mosaic, your kitchen is way cuter than mine! you're lucky that a tile backsplash is all you need. a relatively easy change that'll make a big difference. post pics when you're done!

• PRO
    4 years ago

You’re welcome mittlk! Looking forward to see the end result!
    Stay safe and shoot holidays.