Software
Houzz Logo Print
cfralick

Starting new sod and seed off right.

6 years ago

Hi, my wife and I just moved into our new house. The builder we used included sod in the front and on the sides of the house and then seeded and rolled straw mats over the rear. The house location and info along with questions are as follows.


We are located in South West Ohio. The builder spread good topsoil where the sod was placed but simply used a rock hound and skid steer to grade the rear of the house where the seed was spread. This area is mostly clay. I haven't done any soil testing.


Besides watering twice a day (morning and early evening) I bought Scotts Turf Builder starter fertilizer and already spread it out back on the new seed and planned to wait 6 weeks to spread it on the Sod.

  1. should I do anything else to the sod to make sure it establishes properly?
  2. what should I do to make sure the rear seeded area has what it needs to establish in clay soil that has good drainage due to it being on the side of a hill?


Any and all help/advice is much appreciated.

Comments (6)

  • 6 years ago

    morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA) - Thank you so much for such a lengthy reply!


    I submitted the form on logan labs and should have my soil test kit in a few days. I will post results once I get them.


    1) my sod watering is 20 minutes each time with an impact sprinkler I havent lifted the sod but I hopefully 20 minutes twice a day isnt flooding it.... Thoughts?


    1a) I guess I assumed clay because they dug our foundation 9' deep and the soil is red and refused to dry ( the skid loader kept having to come back to grade because each layer of soil would suck him in so he would grade and then let dry then come back )


    1b) soil test kit is ordered.


    2) I planned on using a product like the Scott's Thick'r Lawn 3 in 1 product or overseeding with a seed mix that is recommended for southwestern ohio and then fertilizing late summer/early fall.


    Are there any products I need to put down between now and when i get the soil results back or between now and my overseeding?





  • 6 years ago

    " I submitted the form on logan labs and should have my soil test kit in a few days. I will post results once I get them. "


    All you need is a Baggie or other plastic sandwich bag. Submit the form with it and and a check.


    1) Check the sod. It should be always be damp or moist, but never squishy and soaking wet and sitting in water. After a few weeks, you can cut back to usually damp, but sometimes dry for the top inch. Then more dry but damp two, three inches down. And so on as the season rolls onward.


    1a) That's just a saturated soil. Surprisingly, while clay holds the most water, silt holds the most available water due to the overall binding strength of the charges (long story). Most soils can saturate, even sand if it has a heavier, rocky, or bowl-shaped layer beneath it. When mine saturates, it turns into a disgusting muck, but raising amounts of organic matter and encouraging natural processes can cause it to drain out faster and to saturate more slowly.


    " Are there any products I need to put down between now and when i get the soil results back or between now and my overseeding? "


    Other than feeding around Memorial Day, no. Spring is not, other than that one feeding, a time of much effort on the lawn in terms of food. Grass isn't a spring eater--but it eats heavily in fall.

    Think of the person you know who has a cup of tea and a bowl of cereal late in the morning, skips lunch, and then eats most of his or her calories at dinner. That's grass. That's also me, so it's one reason I had no trouble understanding how grass ate and why so many other people simply couldn't understand how grass could do that. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Awesome! I have been trying to keep the sod "soft/damp" to the touch but not squishy. the front is doing better than the sides but everything has gotten really nice and green in the last day. there are some patches that have been missed with the circular impact sprinkler and it started getting brown so I gave it some love.


    I will send the samples off ASAP and let you guys know the results. sounds like theres not much I can do in the spring for the soil/seed/sod though but I will make sure I give what it needs come August.


    as far as "feeding" the seed and Sod, is there a product you recommend or can you not recommend anything until you see the soil results?



  • 6 years ago

    Not until the soil results. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Perfect. Thanks again for your help.