Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennpa6b

Spring isn't canceled...

Jenn
4 years ago

I understand how frustrated, stressed and upset everyone is during the pandemic. There's a lot of negativity in my life too. But it doesn't seem to matter to my flowers. Show me your spring blooms, however tiny and nascent. Even if it's just the tips of crocus leaves in the far north or entire gardens in the south - spring isn't canceled!

Comments (54)

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, Sunny, I have not seen a brunnera like that before! Such dramatic variegation. Love it, thanks for sharing.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Took this while weeding the other day.

Jenn thanked functionthenlook
  • Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gorgeous! Nothing says spring like glorious blossoms on the trees, and what a perfect blue sky backdrop!

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A coworker gave me one Solomon’s seal plant about a decade ago. It has multiplied and now competes with lily of the valley for space

Jenn thanked gumneck 7A Virginia
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Brunnera are so pretty when in bloom.

gumneck that is a gorgeous columbine. (What are the blue flower?)

Wonderful shot functionthenlook.

Jenn thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • Splendid!
    4 years ago

Here's a pic from my deck. Achillea and hunnelo stachys are greening up nicely. Very grateful I went overboard last autumn with new spring bulbs in the yard, though it took half a day to figure out that the pineapple-looking plant was a Persian lily.

Jenn thanked Splendid!
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

What a wonderful cheerful post -- enjoying seeing all the gorgeous pics!

Jenn thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Emily Saba
    4 years ago

Not much yet other than some hellebores

Jenn thanked Emily Saba
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

deanna said: Ooooo!! BEAUTIFUL checkered lilies!

here is the ID ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fritillaria&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images

what always fascinated me with them ... is that there are very few 90 angles or squares in nature ... and this is covered in them ...

they seed around for me ... nothing aggressive ... the downside is .... they look like grass for a year or two before they mature enough to flower ... often getting pulled up as rogue grass .... some of the seedlings are white ....

ken

Jenn thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Jenn thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • whaas_5a
    4 years ago

Spring is cancelled this upcoming week. I'll be back in 45 days

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    4 years ago

It’s not canceled, but ours is delayed! This is two days ago. The snow this late in the season was very wet and heavy. Power is out it will stay out for days. The snow should melt soon and then I can see spring again. The only thing blooming I have are crocuses, but many things have broken through the soil.

Was hoping to get a photo of the crocus in the snow, they haven’t popped through the crust yet.

Jenn thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beautiful columbine, gumneck! I started with two stems of Solomon's seal two autumns ago. This spring, I stopped counting at 30 emerging stems!

Splendid, I haven't seen achillea grown in a pot before - looks great! Your whole deck looks cheerful and springy.

Emily, it's a lovely hellebore. Pink frost?

Jeb, wonderful bulb display. Daffodil Hill is gorgeous!

Betsy, my turn to be jealous, clematis are far in the future here. Beautiful!

Deanna and whaas, sorry! I have a friend in Saskatchewan who is similarly snowed in. Especially awful that the power is out. Hopefully, other people's photos will give you a taste of better days ahead!

4 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I thought checkered lily was the common name, but I see not. I am winter sowing seeds of them for the first time this year, but I'm not sure they'll germinate. Long story made short, a housing project kept pushing my wintersow date later and later and I don't know if they'll get enough cold stratification to bloom. May have to put them in the fridge and hope for germination later this summer. They are so fascinating and wonderful! Love your comment on squares in nature, because it is certainly true.

And, our power is on now, another wonderful surprise! As of this morning our entire town was dark.

• Jeb
    4 years ago

THPRING

A time of forsythia

When people mythia

And want to be wythia

And maybe kythia

Poem from 1989 publication don't know poets name!!

This afternoon on the north bank. You gotta love spring.

• roxanna7
    4 years ago

Gorgeous photo, Jeb -- and I love the poem!!

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beautiful forsythia! I think they're prettiest when minimally pruned. We have a few in my neighborhood that look like yellow lollipops.

4 years ago

Oh, I love forsythia. It is for me THE herald of winter's end. Absolutely gorgeous photo. PERFECT poem! If i didn't have to digitally distance I would give you a kythia!

Thanks for sharing both. Made my day!

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    4 years ago

This is my jeffersonia dubia from last week

Jenn thanked Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
  • Jeb
    4 years ago

Wow, I have Jeffersonia envy, had this plant many years ago, bloomed a couple of springs and then vanished. Still have the native Twinleaf growing here, and it is blooming now. The flowers don't last a long time! That color is amazing. I thought it was a picture of a Hepatica before I put my glasses on! Nicely grown - good job!

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beautiful delicate flowers, Heruga! Thanks for sharing!

4 years ago

Thanks.

Any clues to why your jeffersonia didn’t survive? I didn’t know that this plant was rather fussy

• Jeb
    4 years ago

I think it was a couple of extremely dry, hot summers that knocked it out. It was growing in very well drained sandy soil, lots of humus, enough sunshine and shade, thought it was sited perfectly! Sometimes when I lose a plant the reason it died was unexplained phenomena. Who knows? Neighbor's dog? Did someone step on it to death? I really couldn't tell you for sure. You should sprinkle the seed around your plant when it becomes ripe and get a whole group of those growing! It would be awesome.

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Missing my nieces and nephew hunting for eggs out here, but still pretty.

• roxanna7
    4 years ago

That's gorgeous, Jenn!

Jenn thanked roxanna7
  • User
    4 years ago

Trilliums in bloom now.

Jenn thanked User
  • Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So cool, maylingsmom! Do you know if they establish well from bare root? I have never seen them in my local nurseries. Such a wonderful woodland ephemeral.

• Abykatz22 Gainesville, FL (9a)
    4 years ago

Spring is here!

Noid Iris growing up tall through my JM Acer dissectum “Viridis”.

Just about a week before, tiny blossoms at the tip of the branches of that same Acer.

Beauty is everywhere you just have to look for it!

Then there’s the clematis. Enjoy!

Jenn thanked Abykatz22 Gainesville, FL (9a)
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

My spring is a bit further along. Time to rip out the blue bonnets. My catclaw is really smelling up the place

While my cat finds a shady spot under the neremburgia

My Painted petals are a tad past their prime but multiplying.

My salvia officionales 'Bergarten" is doing well without water in terrible gravel and caliche in blazing Texas sun.

here is a first bloom from a trade with a woman from Alabama.

Jenn thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Forsythia is just a memory from childhood 6 decades ago. I loved them but they are a plant that I enjoy them vicariously through your photos. The BLINDING yellow on a foggy spring morning is something I will never forget.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

The Forsythia poem is a puzzle not me. It seems to imply that there are people who pronounce Forsythia as For- sith -ya.

4 years ago

I just pronounced the rest of the words to match for-sith-ee-uh. myth-ee-uh, kith-ee-uh, etc. Except thpring, which I pronounced thpring. Had a nice rhythm and cute as everything.

4 years ago

Wantonamaram, I always love seeing photos of how you have embraced conditions that test the best gardener to create something beautiful. The saliva is beautiful.

• User
    4 years ago

Jenn This clump was purchased I believe bare root from Prairie Nursery some years back. They sell a lot of native plants. I have another that was grown from the seed of this one.

Jenn thanked User
  • Jeb
    4 years ago

Here is another shot of my forsythia bush from the other end of the garden this misty morn!

Some of these narcissus were planted originally by my great great grandmother. Carmella Marcella.

Yes forsythia is an acrid and weirdly bright yellow for this time of year but nothing says springtime to me like forsythia and pussy willow. No matter how you pronounce it!

Jenn thanked Jeb
  • User
    4 years ago

Calycanthus blooming.

Jenn thanked User
  • harold100
    4 years ago

Springtime in southern Va

Jenn thanked harold100
  • Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    4 years ago

Such a great post. Such lovely spring photos. Stay healthy and safe everyone!

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Abykatz, great shots! I love the maple flowers - so tiny and pretty. The iris and clematis are lovely, too, of course!

Wantonamara, beautiful iris! I love how your gardens fit your surroundings so beautifully. It's a different look to spring than most of us are used to, but so beautiful!

Jeb, wow! That's quite the spring display! Lucky you to inherit some long lasting blooms!

Maylingsmom, that calycanthus is a nice deep red for this early in spring. Goes well with your trilliums.

Beautiful tulips, Harold!

• mnwsgal
    4 years ago

Hurrah for spring! Three days for snow and freezing temps here tell you that there aren't many blooms in my area. Saw some daffodils and early tulips in the common areas. I picked up a pansy bowl to add color to our deck which I brought inside. Even though they are very cold tolerant three days of below freezing temps seem too much. The pots of tulips and daffodils and crocus that I buried in my garden square are putting up leaves. When they bud I will pull the pots and bring them to my deck.

Rouge, I think the blue/purple flower in gumneck's post is anemone. Though the plants in my garden were tiny and delicate the blooms lasted a long time and seed about so often had one pop up in an unexpected spot.

• User
    4 years ago

Some of you are still having winter conditions, while I have the 1st daylily of the season in bloom.

Jenn thanked User
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I have my first tomato swelling. I did have to bag them because we got down to 37º. Today I unbag. It is back to warmer nights. WE even had some lows of 70º before this front. It has been a long cool spring except for that one really warm night.

4 years ago

First tomato swelling? I would ask if you're kidding, but I know you are not. That just seems crazy to me! Were they started indoors or purchased as seedlings?

• Jenn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tomatoes and daylilies!? Here's me all happy because I almost have lilacs and viburnums blooming, and you've got summer plants! It's amazing what a difference a few zones make.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I purchased them as seedlings. Growing tomatoes in Texas is all about getting them in early because it gets TOO HOT for them and they stop producing . It is a race to get a crop before the high heat of summer hits. Then we get a chance at a second crop in Fall. I do some bagging of plants when it gets cool during the spring. The dead of summer I do not do a vegetable garden. It is time to go swimming. and not watering nonstop.

Jenn thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I am now officially drying & rolling up the frost cloths. Winter is done with. Now I start praying for continued cold fronts that keep the summer heat at bay. Before I looked at them with alarm now they are welcomed. Usually they mean rain. When that stops; the BIG HEAT is on.

4 years ago

This is my myosotis sylvatica ‘Victoria blue‘. Sowed this in the ground last year at a dedicated spot. Composted and tilled the soil beforehand. Then I placed a milk crate over it with a net over it so the rodents don’t dig through it. I pinched all the seedlings that were too close so I can see how big these actually get. Idk, I have a thing for forgot me nots despite being a common weed. I guess certain weed plants can be displayed differently depending on how you grow it

Jenn thanked Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
  • Jenn thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • harold100
    4 years ago

I'd saved my seeds and planted more ox-eye daisies this year. They are really performing well. The flowers resemble Shasta daisies but the plants look entirely different. This is a unique plant. At night the flowers face upwards. But in the morning they angle toward the sunrise and rotate all day to follow the sun across the sky.

Jenn thanked harold100