Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_969703927

Builder doesn't like my cabinets

6 years ago

Howdy all! My builder is not thrilled with my cabinet choice. He says that they are "so 15 years ago." He doesn't like the style (he prefers Shaker) and he doesn't like the color (they are cream and he prefers white.) What do you guys think? (Let's leave out all the consternation and advice that I "should just go with what I want." Understood. What I want to know, though, is are these cabinets really 15 years ago.)


Thanks guys!!





Comments (86)

  • 6 years ago

    Elie, Those cabinets would not have been in a mid-century colonial, 1945-late '50's. I have seen some beautiful cabinets with subtle glazing but when every cabinet company started jumping on that bandwagon there were a lot of poorly done versions and instead of a soft antique glazing it looked like someone just took a marker and outlined the panels. Heavy glazing was often seen with corbels, onlays, tumbled stone backsplashes, and patterned brown granites. Over the last year or so there have been postings specifically asking how to update kitchens with glazed cabinets. Ask your architect to direct you to a designer that can help give you a kitchen that will live in harmony with the architecture of your home.

  • 6 years ago

    No glaze, and...no staggered cabinets! The two combined, is in-your-face dated.



  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The responses are a bit all over the place because of the definition of your home style. I wonder if you’ve clearly defined that for yourself? I’m thinking not, as it seems that the cabinets that you chose are divergent from the builder’s definition of your stated style.

    Im going to suggest that you work with a designer to get the style thing more clearly defined. Once you have that Design Mission Statement worked out, with pictures to illustrate, then you judge all of your choices against that yardstick. Developing thie dispassionate, non emotionally charged plan, helps to free you from some of the “I love everything“ issue. The statement then becomes, “I love that! Just not for this house.“

  • 6 years ago

    My house was built in 1998 and I am not the original owner so I didn't get to pick the cabinets. My cabinets are stained birch and the doors are a similar traditional style. I hate them and want to replace them, but the other half doesn't. The reason I hate them is because dust and grease gets in all the little crevices. I need to use a q-tip to get them clean. In other words, they are a PITA. So for that reason alone, I wouldn't recommend a more intricate style door.


    I personally have never liked glazed cabinets. My friend remodeled her kitchen in 2010 and did a glazed island only (perimeter cabinets were dark) and I remember not liking it back then, but at least it was only the island and not the entire kitchen.


    I'm not crazy about your inspiration picture either, from the glazed and stacked cabinets, to the greenery on top of the cabinets, to the little mosaics on the island. It looks too busy to me.


    I also agree that the quartz patterns you are looking at do not go with that style of cabinetry at all. When I got new countertops a couple of years ago, I had to work with my existing cabinets since I could not change them, and the large veiny quartz patterns looked awful.


    I'm sorry you're not getting the responses you were hoping for.

  • 6 years ago

    I haven't read this whole thread. I can only tell you those cabinets are not "so 15 years ago". They are "so 20 years ago" - or more. And even then, the glaze wasn't the greatest choice. I remember my sister had them installed when her son was a toddler (he graduated college last year), and within a year, she felt like they looked shabby. She renovated about 5 years ago, and replaced with crisp white cabinets.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    For backsplash wrap the quartz all the way up to under the cabinets..no grout lines it looks clean and fresh.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    In a kitchen, "less is more". No one wants to spend hours with a Q-Tip cleaning grunge from little ridges/valleys on kitchen cabinets. Keep them simple and easy to clean. Glazing always looked phony and awful - bag that. I'm not a fan of cream cabinets but if one must, no glazing. I much prefer a warmer white or a color.


    I live in a 1948 house that while it's a 1 1/2 story, it is "colonial/traditional" in style, both inside and in the way I have decorated it - lots of English antiques and traditional English fabrics. My kitchen? Four years ago, I used Shaker cabinets and did them in a light gray (SW Repose Gray) - it works with the house, the lighting and the adjoining rooms (no open concept). I used Corian Glacier White countertops and white honed marble large subway tiles for the backsplash. It suits the house and I still love it. Even thought cabinets are gray, they aren't the dark gray that was a trend a couple of years ago. And it's the right color for my house.


    My parents built a Cape Cod colonial in 1951-2 and it had slab painted cabinets. Most cabinets were like that at the time. These fancy ones were dreamed up by someone who wasn't even born then.


    You need a good kitchen designer who will be honest with you. Many will not. In my town, the two most popular cabinets are just like yours - lots of panels and creases - and most people either do them in glazed cream or cherry. Yes, my town is about 20 years behind the times in many things. People want what their neighbors have and just ask "What are people doing today?" and are told this is what.

  • 6 years ago

    Not my style either. 2002 are not coming back ...

  • 6 years ago

    There have been some gorgeous raised panel cabinet photos posted on this thread. The successful ones have a highly styled vision carried through in every detail, including the kitchen's architecture, windows, walls etc.



  • 6 years ago

    Adding to the choir of saying that I think that your builder is at least partially right on this one; I don’t think that you need to do shaker cabinets, but I do think that the ones that you’ve chosen are outdated, unnecessarily fussy, and that glaze makes everything look dirty.

    SashaDog and Holley posted some excellent examples that I feel are a more current version of what you’re after. I think that you’re right to be open to questioning if you’re choosing stuff that is really dated, but ultimately, it’s your kitchen and if that’s what you really, really love...do it.



  • 6 years ago

    Guys!! Thank you so much for all of the insight and thoughtful comments and advice. We went to Home Depot to get a garbage can and stopped off just to check out Silestone offerings there (my builder has countertop guy, but I wanted to at least see them). We were right next to the cabinet section so we checked them out and saw the glazed, and O MY! you are all so right!! They do look dirty to me. Funny thing is that my partner didn't think that there was any glaze on the cabinets I posted, if was just shadowing, and I thought that they had gold highlights. Both obviously wrong, we are so glad that we turned to this community for advice! We're limited to the cabinet company my builder always uses, and they have limited door styles. Pretty much shaker or the same style as above. All of you who mentioned the difficulty with cleaning that style - thank you!! Totally see that now.

  • 6 years ago

    OK, so new thoughts! White cabinets against the wall, accent cabinets under island, dramatic slab counters. Partner not sure about the accent though, and may want all white. My concern is that it may be visually unstimulating. But, we have the dramatic slab. Backsplash something pretty neutral. BUT prior to choosing these, I should probably give you all the layout, which is still not set. I'll make a new thread and I'd really welcome input from all of you. We have some slightly unusual requirements that you might find interesting and fun to weigh in on. I'll post the link to the new thread. Thanks again everyone!!

  • 6 years ago

    I'm all about low-maintenance and easy cleaning so I'm glad to hear you are reconsidering.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Whew! So glad you were able to see the downsides of your cabinet selections. I think you will be much happier with your new direction. I am all about drama so I would make island focal point. Everything gets “dated” in 5-7 years so don’t worry about that.

  • 6 years ago

    You said uninteresting - does rest of the space, nearby have more or less visual going on, such as fireplace, lotsa windows? If not, i'd set apart uppers from lowers [instead of just island different]. This sort of?

    Omega · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/omega-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~32615461

  • 6 years ago

    My rule of thumb is to have only one "dramatic" or "fussy" thing in the kitchen space. Dramatic counters need to be an accent (unless you have a football field sized kitchen LOL); pair simple cabs and tile with dramatic counters; fussy cabinets (like your original choice) need simple counters and tile. If you love a dramatic, or eyecatching tile, then the counters and cabs need to be simple.

    And remember, although authentic colonial homes did have touches like wainscoting, crown molding, and substantial woodwork, in general (IMO) none of it came off as in your face ornate. Balance and an essential simplicity was still important. Your house from the past mid-century was likely built to reflect that, please respect it in your remodel.

  • 6 years ago

    following>>>

  • 6 years ago

    @everdebz, everything was ok until I saw that hood!

  • 6 years ago

    The builder has been involved in the house design since inception. He more or less directed the architect.


    Now that ^^^ is interesting !

  • 6 years ago

    That style is very similar to the style of my 15-year old bathroom cabinets that I am now trying to "work-around" and update--except ours are dark brown. Ours are a pain to keep clean--I can never get the dust and dirt out of the corners no matter what.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    There are styles of cabinet doors that are timeless. Shaker doors with trim detail can span the test of time. Raised panels tend to look dated quicker. Here are shaker style cabinets that just have trim details.





    I would not do anything more elaborate than the second photo. But the point is, if you don't like Shaker, you can take the more contemporary edge off of them by adding trim detail.

  • 6 years ago

    debbie1000 Soft toothbrush / Q-tip

  • 6 years ago

    following

  • 6 years ago

    I agree with your builder. Sorry.



  • 6 years ago

    Such great info and advice. I really appreciate it and I hope it's helped others thinking about glazed tiles (or who are disagreeing with their builder who knows more and is wiser)!


    I started a new discussion re the layout for the kitchen and I welcome everyone's thoughts on that if you have a moment. Thanks so much!!!


    Here is the link: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5909423/challenging-kitchen-design-help#n=1

  • 6 years ago

    "The builder has been involved in the house design since inception. He more or less directed the architect."


    "Now that ^^^ is interesting !"


    @tsjmjh, that was my initial thoughts as well.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Sell him the house and tell him he can install whatever he likes until then you will be living there and you will be looking at it and if this is the style and look you like...Go for it!


    Good luck

  • 6 years ago

    Is this your build or are you essentially purchasing a house in a planned development from the builder once it's completed?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    When I cook, I put my own glaze on my cabinets.

  • 6 years ago

    ^^^ LOL

  • 6 years ago

    It's our build. We have no constraints other than one cabinet manufacturer.

  • 6 years ago

    Haha, fun thread!

    Yes!

    They do look like 2005 called, lol!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Holly Stockley nailed it with her comments and photos. The kitchens all have one thing in common--they are consistently styled for the Colonial period, and the workmanship is impeccable. Almost all show inset cabinets without the ogee detailing on the outer edges, raised or recessed panels, and external hardware. The appliances, backsplashes, counter tops, flooring, windows and millwork are traditional American Colonial. If you think any of that is dated, you're correct--dated to the 1700s. I'd take any of those kitchens, especially anything by Gil Schaefer, in a heartbeat, and never want to change them.

    Cook's Kitchen also makes a great point--you need to really discern the look you want, and go for it. I wouldn't necessarily let my builder tell me what to do, many of them are just tired of the same old/same old because they've been doing it too much. But I agree with him about glazes, I never wanted them because they always looked dirty to me.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC If you haven't seen the OP's auxilliary post about the layout, that adds context. The 15-foot square space will have 13 appliances/sinks including 3 full-size dishwashers, double wall ovens plus a 36" wide oven/range combo, an additional cooktop, 2 microwaves, and 3 sinks. The refrigerator will be a standard 36" wide non-counter depth. Unless OP is planning cabinetry panels on some of the appliances, I think the balance will skew more toward a modern look depending on the appliance finishes than would typically be the case with a standard kitchen cabinetry layout. I do think you've offered great styling suggestions.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Sorry Ellie. I kind of agree with your builder. Your cream cabinet choice with elaborate trim-work and coffee glaze highlights is a bit fussy. Builder is correct it is a style that was very popular in 2000-2005, along with ubutuba granite with a fancy ogee edge and metallic/glass mosaic tile backsplash. To me it doesn't look like quality, maybe it did back then.

  • 6 years ago

    I think OP should install whatever cabinet style she likes. That said, my spidey sense goes all quivery when I see that she can pick anything she wants except must use the cabinet manufacturer specified by the builder. That happened to us once in a (very expensive) condo build; turns out the cabinet maker was the developer's brother. The cabinets were well made and beautiful and the cabinet maker was a pleasure to deal with but there's always a reason why a builder insists on a certain vendor.


    Again, that has nothing to do with the cabinet style selected. I'm in the "you see it every day; get what you like" camp. I also believe it won't be that long before people are saying "2-tone kitchens are soooooo 2020." ;>)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    back2work, I actually did read the OP's auxiliary post. I think it's an awful lot going on in a kitchen that size. But what do I know?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC I think your suggestions have given the OP a lot to consider related to style, but I also am wondering how the split of appliance presentation to cabinetry will affect the outcome visually. If even so much as the 3 dishwashers were paneled, it would help skew the appearance back to a heavier balance on cabinetry rather than stainless steel or whatever appliance finishes will be selected. Normally it wouldn't be an issue except that the OP appears to be leaning toward traditional rather than contemporary. I read a recent post here at Houzz where a pro was saying that paneling the appliances is starting to fall out of fashion, which I found interesting and may reflect the continued march toward contemporary styling in kitchen trends.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh, here I go again. Maybe I'm just living in the wrong era(s). I have paneled my appliances since forever. I strongly dislike stainless, as in if I could have paneled my current range with just little cutouts for the flames, lol, I would have.


    If "paneling is falling out of fashion" as a designer said, then I agree that it's due to a trend to modern, contemporary, whatever you want to call it. But wouldn't a dishwasher with a sleek slab front the same as the cabinetry be more "contemporary" than a stainless front? As in, one continuous sleek line that the eye sees?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @tsjmjh I'd agree with the completely encased Euro cabinet look where you can hardly tell it is a kitchen looking more modern than exposed appliances. Can't remember who exactly mentioned that "I hardly panel appliances anymore," but it was a regular pro who posts in these Houzz forums, probably from the past week or so. This thread is a different scenario since the door style is very traditional and there will be an exceptional number of appliances in the layout, so there is more of a stark traditional/modern contrast between stainless steel (or whatever the appliance finishes will be) and the door style unless paneling is done.

  • 6 years ago

    I wandered off topic, @Aglitter which is not at all unusual for me. I wasn't thinking about this thread when I thought, hmmmm, modern would be paneled, not a zillion different looks with different appliances. I agree that with a traditional style and many appliances, paneled is the way to go.


    So, somehow, I've voted for paneled appliances in both modern and traditional looks. ;>)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @tsjmjh It could be more a convenience thing than aesthetic if indeed paneling appliances isn't as popular as it once was at least in North America. I mean, how many posts have we seen in the Houzz forums (I've seen quite a few) where someone's panel didn't fit right or they felt they had been way overcharged to do a panel, or the appliance failed and new panels were needed to match older cabinetry based on new appliance specs, or other problems. The OP appears to be buying a standard refrigerator based on dimensions, not a built-in paneled one, so that's at least one appliance that isn't even panel-ready from the outset.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm not at all trying to be catty, but with 3 dishwashers, 3 ovens, 2 microwaves and 2 cooktops, I'm getting a fully integrated 42" refrigerator, lol. Maybe single door 36" freezer and single door 36" refrigerator, paneled, side by side. SubZero.

  • 6 years ago

    Someone in the OP's other thread just guessed at the logic:
    "You nailed it, that's an explanation to duplicated appliances, Kosher. I think there are also other layout considerations due to this, no? Like the stations for each function might be defined in different ways than average and there might be more of them?"

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, I saw the "kosher" comment. I'd still get some big honker SubZeros, lol.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks so much for everyone's ideas! Such great ideas here (and detective work!). This has been really helpful and I really appreciate it! Our builder is also doing our neighbor's kitchen and we were talking cabinets and relived the harrowing tale of how close we came to getting cabinets that we would have been really surprised by. Thanks for saving us! (We probably would have ordered samples first, but it would still have wasted a ton of time and planning.)


    Tonight was our son's bar mitzvah so I haven't had a chance to respond properly, but I really appreciate all the insights and will respond and update later in the week.

  • 6 years ago

    Speaking of glazing your own cabinets with your cooking residue, funny story about a glazed airplane window. When we flew overseas with my daughter who has around 2 years old, the airline meal came with containers of butter. We fell asleep but my daughter woke up, found the butter, and smeared all the packets on the plane windows! We spent the rest of the flight using diaper wipes to try and clean up as best we could. Come to think of it, I should have just bought a vodka and used that!

  • 6 years ago

    Mazel Tov to young ben Dassi! We want to see your finished project! Will it be a 2-fridge/DW installation?