3 years ago

That’s the only picture I have just moving in

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

tips to update? More info as in:

update with what style?

and most importantly, with how much money?

your budget will drive what can and can't be done.

I will say, that stove is in a horrible spot. what are you supposed to do w/your pots or things you're cooking on the stovetop? there is no room on right and minimal on the left.

what if you open the bottom of the oven, does it hit the dishwasher?

horrible positioning who ever flipped this kitchen. (and obviously does not cook)

Make sure there is an actual duct (that leads to outside) attached to that oven vent hood.

Can the brick wall come down?

what else is in the room? anywhere else to move the stove? fridge?

need more pics, more info

miller30 thanked Beth H. :
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

Where's fridge?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i think it goes where the left arrow is

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes it’s at the arrow

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Farmhouse style. Can’t move brick because behind it is the fireplace. I just don’t know what to put on the wall need more storage no pantry

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

well, we still can't help because we don't have pictures and you've given us no clue to budget.

why don't you hire a kitchen design team/contractor?

If you can't move the brick, then you'll have to completely rework the layout if you want any hope of this to be a functioning kitchen. right now it isn't. getting new countertops won't make it any better.

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BETH h not a lot of money at the moment. the wall you can’t see is a doorway to the dining room

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ok, I just saw your other post about the laundry room that's somewhat connected. when you walk up the steps from the laundry, what is on the right (in the kitchen)? is there a wall there or the dining room?

pretend your standing at the sink, looking out, what is directly behind you across the room?

until we get some more photos showing all of the walls, (or a diagramed layout) it's going to be impossible to advise you.

also, "not a lot of money" really doesn't tell us much.

what do you want? Just a pantry? you can buy ready to assemble white pantry cabinets for a few hundred. it just depends. again, until we get better pics, we can't really help.

I would advise you to upgrade your boob light in there though. maybe $100 or so for something that will give you some light

oh, could you please delete your other kitchen post? you have two of these going at once.

if you want more farmhouse, try doing a beadboard backsplash painted white. it's an easy DIY

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Budget? If your budget includes new cabinets, then running them to the ceiling would give you more storage, as well as permit you to improve the layout. Otherwise, I'd paint the walls a color that goes better with the warm tones of the countertop, floor and brick.

Otherwise, save your money for an overhaul. To me it looks like someone painted old cabinets and bought new appliances. Beyond that, this kitchen doesn't owe anyone anything.

miller30 thanked latifolia
  • miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth h

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth h

• seregiel
    3 years ago

For farmhouse and just moving in? Warm white wall paint, black cabinet hardware, pretty pattern for window curtain, new lighting, white wash brick in kitchen, save for the future.

miller30 thanked seregiel
  • miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH BETH H. Im new here so I have no idea how to delete the first post let me try to figure that out. For the island in the future where do you suggest putting it? We are thinking about knocking the wall from dining to kitchen. this is a 1600 sq feet home. besides the island not so sure what else is possible because the fireplace is right there in the kitchen but we will be saving for the future right now we could only put in about 1500. We plan on staying here for a while though. We finally are debt free and saved for a house so this is our home for A while....

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Congratulations on your first home! I'd live with everything as is and look for a free standing island that's going to give you some storage and extra counter space like Beth suggested. Maybe something like this with storage.

https://www.wayfair.com/Three-Posts--Hedon-Kitchen-Island-with-Stainless-Steel-Top-X112713081-L56-K~W001602970.html?

Removing walls and changing layout is going to require a hefty amount of money. For now, put a pretty runner in front of the sink, add the portable island, and shelving for storage if there's room.

Then live in the house and see what works for you and what doesn't. Save your pennies since you never know what's going to pop up in the first year of home ownership.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

congrats! You will be working on the house from here on out, so just remember, it's a marathon!

Compile ideas, educate yourselves on Home DIY projects, take classes at local stores, watch videos, etc. whatever you can do to help save you money for the things you want.

For instance, my husband can build anything. he does electrical, plumbing, etc. The stuff we've done to this house would have cost us half a mil (if not more) if we would have hired out.

Get some simple tools to start with, and go from there.

BTW, Sawdust Girl has one of the best how-to's on home improvement. She's amazing.

https://sawdustgirl.com 

Ana White Furniture Plans has everything under the sun to build yourself. (like that little island?)

https://ana-white.com/woodworking-projects

Remodelaholic and Vintage Revival also have great ideas and how to's on a budget.

https://vintagerevivals.com/projects/

• steviepridenow
    3 years ago

The brick and granite clash badly. The suggestion to paint the brick is great. You won't regret it. I did that on my last house and solved a big ugly problem. Cheap solution until you figure out what you want overall. You can use your new wall color at half strength, apply with a sponge brush. Vacuum the brick first.

miller30 thanked steviepridenow
  • miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H Can’t wait to look at all these sites for sent me!!! so if we built an island right there after we took the wall down do you suggest changing the kitchen floor to match the wood floors we have??

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will definitely be painting the brick

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Maybe for now, just whitewash the brick and add a stand alone pantry or shelves there. Change the light fixture. I like the blue wall color but not so much for your farmhouse style. Maybe go warm white and remove the 4-6" splash and add a white subway tile. Perhaps that'll give you enough change as you move in. Then save save save for the real deal reno in.a few years

miller30 thanked Gcubed
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

miller. first off, you need to see if the wall is load bearing. don't be tearing out walls until your know what you're doing! Contact a local contractor to see what can and can't be done.

secondly, when I mentioned building an island, I meant one of those little moveable ones.

if you want a permanent island in the center, you'll have to run electrical to it (per code). that means hiring an electrician and redoing your flooring. you don't want to do this now.

save up for when you have at least 20K and can redo the entire space. (30 would be better incase you encounter surprises)

as for matching the wood floor, a lot of salvage places in your area should have older wood flooring. if not, then you'll get the same species feathered in and the entire floor (including the old one) will be sanded down and everything gets re-stained. You're looking at thousands for that. trying to match the existing, oxidized color as it is now, is really difficult.

is your countertop granite or laminate?

do a bead board backsplash

find a piece of furniture you can turn into an island, like this. add legs. some shelving. a wood top. paint

https://www.lizmarieblog.com/2011/06/beadboard-backsplash/

• miller30
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok Beth! I definitely won’t take the wall down until we have someone come out and look. we will take your word and save for a full reno. The counter tops are granite black and cream. I really like the bead board backsplash too

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

Your kitchen looks clean and usable-- if not perfect. If you don't like the brick, paint it the same colour as your trim. Then call it done for at least a year.

You need to live in the space for at least a year before you know what works and what doesn't Kitchen renos are expensive-- it's important to get them right. And getting them right is more about function than about finishes.

miller30 thanked Jennifer K
  • Katie B.
    3 years ago

Most everything has been said already, but here are a few budget “farmhouse” renos that may serve as inspiration.

miller30 thanked Katie B.