Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosannazendejas

interior paint undertone selection

6 years ago

Hello, I need some guidance choosing a paint with the right undertone. I want to lighten up my walls but I have travertine floors. I don’t know if I need to look for a paint color with a yellow, grey, taupe or peach undertone. Some of the colors I’m considering are ball of string, white sand, cottage white or white blossom. They are all Dunn Edwards color. Would someone be willing to give me advice. Thank you

Comments (48)

  • 6 years ago

    The pictures are of my existing color. Thank you

  • 6 years ago

    These are some more pictures

  • 6 years ago

    These are some more pictures

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! This is my first post ever. My house is totally lived in and kid friendly but I’m doing my best. Would you paint the baseboard and ceiling the same color just different sheens? And would it be ok on all of the high walls? Thank you so much again for responding.

  • 6 years ago

    I’d use the same color, just different sheens. There are some amazing experts on here. I can’t believe you haven’t received a dozen answers.

  • 6 years ago

    I’ve also used Benjamin Moore’s Dove White. It’s warm too.

  • 6 years ago

    I was hoping for a lot of help too. I appreciate your help. Thank you

  • 6 years ago

    I use DunnEdwards Cameo for a light cream-with-a-bit-of-gold background color. We have Oriental rugs and blue sofas, cream upholstered chairs, oak floors and window trim.
    Cameo goes with everything.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you felizlady I will look at that color as well.

  • 6 years ago

    I painted part of the wall simply white. I had it color matched at Dunn Edwards because I don’t have a BM near. Do you think it will look good on the high walls also?

  • 6 years ago

    I am also going to try the color ball of string by DE. I will post a picture when I have a sample.

  • 6 years ago

    Ooo Ball of String is pretty. I just looked it up. Soft and closer to you current color. I like it. And yes I love the simply white.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Simply white is nice, but very white - I think you might be better with BM white dove. A little warmer than Simply white. I'd use white trim with the white dove for a bit of contrast. If you're trying to lighten up the space I would also paint the dark wall.

  • 6 years ago

    What do you think?

  • 6 years ago

    I like the simply white but it does seem very bright. I don’t know if it might be too bright on the dark tall wall.

  • 6 years ago

    I’m open to try white dove also. I’ll pick up a sample. I eventually want to change my furniture but for now at least some paint will make it a little fresher.

  • 6 years ago

    A bright white for the trim with white dove?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Yes

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Benjamin Moore White Sand is also another great color. Not as light as White Dove. You really have to sample in your space with your lighting which is what you are doing. It's never easy.

  • 6 years ago

    I have one sample that I picked up today I will try to paint it tonight and post a picture. I will also chose one of the two colors you suggested and get a sample to try. Thank you for your help. I’m so happy to get a response.😊

  • 6 years ago

    Are you also painting all the trim?

    Looks to me that a warm-ish white,like DE Whisper or Milk Glass, might suit you. These are shades often used by Amber Lewis and for some reason your lovely spaces brought her work to mind.http://amberinteriordesign.com/projects/ Good Luck!

  • 6 years ago

    The white you painted does not work with your floors. Your current color which Looks a bit taupe to me works much better with your floors. Can yiu look fir something closer to that and just paint the walls that color.

  • 6 years ago

    IMO those whites will be too bright with your existing home style, decor, and floors. You need to look for a much softer, warm off-white. Behr Hazlenut Cream, or SW Neutral Ground, Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee, or any brands' Antique white, or Navajo white. Maybe SW Ivory Lace. All of those are samples I would try in your home vs. those brighter whites.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes the trim will be painted as well. My husband is going to paint a second coat of DE Ball of String and then I will post a picture to see what you all think. I had already had the sample so I thought I’d try it. It looks similar to White Sand that you suggested Design girl and it also looks close to Hazelnut Cream that you suggested chocolatesnap. I can take everything off of my walls and take down any curtains Right away but have to wait on getting any furniture.

  • 6 years ago

    Ok how do you all like the color below the light switch? It’s Ball of String DE. The color above the light switch is another color I tried a while back but it was too yellow.

  • 6 years ago

    Here it is on another wall

  • 6 years ago

    Am I on the right track?

  • 6 years ago

    Different angle

  • 6 years ago

    It is a beautiful color but it looks a little too gray to me in the. picture for the floors. What do you think? There is a BM color I used called Elephant Tusk that might work well with them. It has a warmer tone. I agree that Simply White is too white for your floors. Looking at it a second time it may work. I suggest you paint a larger area - maybe all the way around the door and you will be able to tell.

  • 6 years ago

    PS. If you did not like the color you tried above the lightswitch you probably would not like elephant tusk.


  • 6 years ago

    Need something a little warmer I would say. Hang in there an expert will come around...

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. I’m hopeful more people will chime in to give me their opinion.

  • 6 years ago

    Based on how the pix look on my computer; I would say the color above the light switch--the one you thought was too yellow--looks like it would be perfect with your floors. I think the bright white trim may be throwing you off. I would suggest you try painting that whole section, including the trim adjacent, whatever that color is, and see what you think.

  • 6 years ago

    The pictures with the red markups is the same color on both walls different lighting. It’s the color above the light switch. It’s called Phoenix villa by DE. That is what I first had tried on the wall before I posted a message for help. I thought it was maybe too yellow? I’m so confused and running out of spots to paint.😁

  • 6 years ago

    The paint store is closed today so I will have to wait to get more sample tomorrow. I’m going to enjoy my Mother’s Day with my family today. Hope you all have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

  • 6 years ago

    On my screen, I can see little difference between Ball of String, and Phoenix Villa--meaning, I think they both should work. That being said; you are seeing the actual color on your walls and should choose whatever feels right to you. Consider hiring a color consultant if you want a little more confidence before pushing ahead with your project :)

  • 6 years ago

    Ball of string. You are on the right track.

  • 6 years ago

    Chocolatesnap or anyone else would you have any idea what price range a color consultant might cost? Thank you

  • 6 years ago

    Samples

  • 6 years ago

    My floors

  • 6 years ago

    Rosanna, how much a color consultation costs will likely depend on the area in which you live, as well as the length/breadth of the consultation. Some professional paint stores will keep a list of consultants in your area. There are paint contractors in my area that include time with a consultant as one of the services offered. I'm sorry I can't help more with that--not a pro :)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Chocolatesnap I will call my paint store to ask. My husband and I are going to do the painting. I live in the County of Ventura, California. . I appreciate those who have offered help.

  • 6 years ago

    W

  • 6 years ago

    Your floors are a lovely neutral color (like wood). As long as you don’t go with a cool color, you’re going to be great. I’d suggest you choose whatever feels good to you. Everything you’ve chosen so far will look wonderful and fresh(avoiding that one that feels too yellow to you). You have excellent taste. The Ball of String was appealing to me but some of your commentators thought it was too light. I gravitate away from beiges as my personal preference, so I would pull a lighter color for the walls and woodwork and paint the stair spindles black. Good luck to you!

  • 6 years ago

    Paint all the trim to match the walls.

  • 6 years ago

    If you have a Sherwin Williams, I recommend Antique white. I have lots of wood in my house so I couldn’t do a bright white either. I think it would complement your floors but be different than what you’ve had. I am not a pro, just a homeowner who had a similar problem due to tons of wood trim.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    For color consultation, I have recently become addicted to Maria Killam's blog and she does e-consulting. For a big project and room like yours it might make sense.

    https://mariakillam.com/


    That is, unless you already painted! Then, enjoy it.