Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nondesigneraaron

Updating living room/dining room

nondesigneraaron
3 years ago

We are on the last rooms to update...looking for suggestions on how to maximize space and modernize our look with this long room that is living room on one end and dining room on the other end. We are only a fam of four but like the option of additional seating for extended family at the dining table, which we eat at daily for dinner. We are open to new furniture and layout. Fireplace stays, window behind coach(opposite fire place) stays and window in DR will likely be a door at some point leading to a deck. Simple country taste. Any suggestions or visuals, especially for layout would be helpful as we struggle with that. (door leads to kitchen and on the LR end there is a walkway to the rest of the house that can't be blocked.)

living room · More Info

living room · More Info

Comments (62)

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Keep what you love only

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Boxing up everything in the room that's not furniture will give you a much clearer picture of what can come back in and what needs to go. Is the piano something you want to keep?

nondesigneraaron thanked katinparadise
  • nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, we are keeping the keyboard. Not sure if I can convince the hubby to put the TV in the bookshelf area as he likes it centered on the wall it is. I like the idea of using that wall for a small sectional as that is really the only place to put one in that room but we'll have to meet in the middle on that. :) I definitely want to rework the bookshelves no matter what to 1)modernize them 2) give that space a bit more function and 3) obviously, clear out most of what is on them.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Put in ATV in the book case it is closer to you and can join the fireplace better and it's closer to the dining Room But it might be nice to have a little love seat but bookcase or a chair

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So here's my dilemma, I don't think I can convince DH to put a TV in the bookshelf...plus, I'm not sold either thinking it through. Right now, people in the DR can see it perfectly and if we put it in the bookcase it will be at an awkward angle.

Having said that, I'm not sure how best to utilize the wall the TV currently sits on. Assuming we leave the TV there but don't need those side cabinets...I'm wondering any thoughts on what to do with the rest of that wall. Not sure how a corner desk might work/look or if there are other options so as not to waste that space.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

If you like to entertain extended family, you need more seating in the living room. Four or five chairs isn’t enough. A sofa, a loveseat, and 2-3 chairs allows seating for up to 8 people. Being able to see the TV from the dining room may be important to the resident family but having the tv on during dinner defeats the purpose of being together. The dining experience is not just food...it’s a time to catch up with each others’ lives, discuss current affairs the kids need to understand, and generally communicate.
    This pandemic plus the riots is changing our perspective on what is important.
    As people have become so attached to their TV’s, they have lost the art of conversation.

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Felizlady...thank you for your thoughts. I was only commenting on the TV being near the DR as another post mentioned that. We do not watch TV while eating and have plenty of good old fashioned family time around our table. We rarely have it on when company is over.

But back to my original inquiry...any suggestions for what to do with that wall BESIDES leaving the TV there??

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

If you're going to remove the bookcases, I would consider putting the keyboard over by the t.v That gets it out of the dining room and will help alleviate some of the congestion in there.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

following

• happyleg
    3 years ago

How's it coming along?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

- also ceiling fan -- is it used?

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It helps me to see a visual to get a sense of potential. I had found a kitchen tool that I used for our remodel a couple of years ago but know can't remember what i used. Is there a site where I can upload my living room pic and then edit it with the changes you all have suggested?

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Google it.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Layout try: fp wall without cases could merely leave space for chair/ lamp, to breathe as some say.

Or move tv unit to that spot / then sofa where tv is.... at the window- a nice end table with lamp that shows in the nighttime, at the window [and the 2 chairs]...

nondesigneraaron thanked everdebz
  • Tina
    3 years ago

Following

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I would replace the chandelier with something less formal for your “simple country taste”, unless this crystal chandelier has emotional importance. A simpler fixture will be easier to keep clean, too. Try using some varied arrangements in the bookcases: some stacked , some vertical, sorted by who uses them (kids books down low, the adults’ interests up higher), with perhaps one decorative item (vase, box, figurine) per shelf in different locations. Wallpapering the back wall of bookcases has been seen on Houzz recently...a light color, simple design wallpaper may help lighten the room. When furniture is ready to be replaced, consider a lighter-color piece with narrow, less bulky arms.

nondesigneraaron thanked felizlady
  • bubbysmom10
    3 years ago

Everything is brown. Remove everything and start adding one thing at a time. I would replace the couch with a light sectional and add a couple of chairs. Ditch most or all of the bookcases. Add some color! Paneling over the fireplace could be painted light. Declutter, declutter, declutter

nondesigneraaron thanked bubbysmom10
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

If you want any of the pros to help, you need to upload a detailed drawing (to scale) of the space. Then tell them what you absolutely want to keep (I.e. the piano, tv, whatever). I’m sure someone will come to your rescue. Start boxing up the clutter now.

nondesigneraaron thanked RedRyder
  • jck910
    3 years ago

Get a much wider TV console with closed cabinets to retain some of the storage you'll loose taking away the tall cabinets. This one is crate & barrel 85".

The entire area is overload of storage. Bookcases, TV area, buffet, china cabinet. Declutter before deciding on new pieces

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

It is all the rage to paint out installed book cases. I would caution. SIL did this and they SMACK you in the face--maybe it is the white she chose but it is a FAIL and returning them to the beautiful warm wood they were will never happen. :( They were a cohesive look with the fireplace now they just look misplaced. Have you and your family ever sat on one of those large sectionals/couch pits?!! My son purchased one. It drove me INSANE to have my husband sit on the cushion next to me. What was comfortable turned into a slant that did not make me want to stay put!!! No one I know wants to sit more than two on a couch--each by their own arm rest. We purchased a love seat/recliner on both ends and two sleek recliner/rockers. We already had a glider...everyone has their own seat, foot rest and SPACE...for movie night. Works for us. Think about YOUR family before jumping into the latest/greatest for decor purposes only!! It appears you USE your dinning room for several purposes. THAT'S OK! LIVING means STUFF!! Your space lends itself to hanging the TV over the fireplace...not everyone's first choice but that makes more sense than loosing the entertainment center AND book shelves....ya need some places to display, keep things!!! Banquets are space savers--back in the day DH made a tressel table and upholstered benches and turned a two person eat in kitchen into a place that accommodated 6 easily-with a high chair. BUT they are a PITB to get in and out of and since you use that table daily I would not say it is an idea that will last. Stick with your expandable table. Ours goes from seating for four to 10 quite easily. I just upgraded my pine china cabinet to the oak one I always wanted LOVE IT and would not give it up. China used a few times a year--is used LESS if it is not accessible. This way I can enjoy it's beauty daily!! Swapping out the chandy=easy. Popping off the gingerbread on the built in=easy. Up grade the fan/overhead light=easy. Remove captains chair from the dining room. Hang the TV over the fireplace re-orientate the room--then maybe the key board can go where the TV et.al is now. Eventually you won't need the toys and smaller shelf deal in the dining room. Face it when there are younger kids about decor is not the biggest priority!! Removing the table cloth and trying place-mats might lighten the room enough as well as the de-cluttering you have planned. Once the toys etc are off that wall you have plenty of room for the china cabinet/buffet and table. Be patient that day will come all too soon!!!

nondesigneraaron thanked arcy_gw
  • happyleg
    3 years ago

How's it going?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Kind of cool - if bookcase is removed and that depth is about the same as your tv unit's depth !?

could S.O. drywall over fireplace and to the right also? painted soft neutralized accent color, from bricks maybe? and reduce the amount of wood at the same time, so the chandelier will look even prettier... :)

if sofa is where tv is now, remove a tall unit... is there also wood door at the right? lotta wood.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

If not current tv console, would the console from dining room work?

• elenam3
    3 years ago

Following!

• sherry52
    3 years ago

Drapes in dining room (and elsewhere ?) are dated. As is chandelier and it’s too small. Fabric shades in a geometric would be sleek. New carpet or engineered wood would open it up. Paint a grayish or taupe-y white. Take tablecloth off unless you are using it. Move keyboard under art work in DR.banish the captains chair until you need it. Clear mantel and hutch top . Remove or a least recover wing chair.

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow...so many great suggestions to absorb! I love many of the ideas, but especially those that remind me to take into consideration this is not a show house but a house we live in and it will not be picture perfect. Having said that, wow, do we have too much going on in there. Once I took the pics and see them it hit me how overcrowded it is. I don't like it and will feel much calmer when we simplify. I'm not into stuff believe it or not, this is a house my DH grew up in and has remnants of those days.

Great point to leave empty space, not a lot but we need to move in that direction for sure. And yes, we have a lot of brown. I do like our green DR but I'd like to remove at least one (if not both) tall storage units, the top of the hutch at the least and several of the smaller items in DR can also be relocated or put curbside.

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a floor plan for visual of spacing and layout. As much as I like the idea of the TV in the bookcase area, that is not likely to happen. So I'm rearranging around the idea with the following in mind:

1) TV stays where is (albeit can be with a longer/different console)

2) keyboard stays (albeit can be relocated)

3) One of either the hutch bottom or buffet that is between windows must stay somewhere

4) Recliner will stay and likely the couch/love seat for now

5) DR table can be replaced (like farmhouse style) and be smaller

6) Will at least remove every other shelf in bookcase area to display less and mix in vases, decorative items, etc.

7) Oh...and I know many of you aren't a fan of our chandy, but it is a family piece and will be staying. (I actually like the farmhouse table/chandy look - a bit different but fun - but we do need to move it down a bit toward the DR)

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

You did the first step: take pics so you can SEE everything. Often easier than living in it. Next step is decluttering. Boxes or trash bags: keep, throw away, donate-- use gut reaction and let things go. Then draw the room dimensions on graph paper with bookcases/FP/windows and anything else that must stay.

good luck!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I like your chandy But I don't see where the piano is

• partim
    3 years ago

A portable piano keyboard is to the left of the china cabinet.

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As we try and move forward with redoing this room. We are wanting to take some of these suggestions and redesign the wall that has the fireplace (used) on it and incorporate the TV there. We are not good at design nor visualizing the wall on our own. Is a site like MODSY that offers virtual interior design a good option for us? If not, any suggestions...are there ways to connect here on Houzz with such a designer or get such visuals from the feedback thread? We need someone that can give us a visual of color and how to reconstruct that wall. Thanks for any feedback to point us in the right direction!

• partim
    3 years ago

I think we can help. First step is to take a face-on picture of the section that you want to redesign so that we can photoshop things onto it. We can't do it if your photo is at an angle. If you can't get it all in one photo, take one then move over and take a second one. Remove everything possible and get furniture out of the way so that we have a clean photo.

Not sure what you have in mind. Do you mean that you want to put the TV over the fireplace but not change anything else? Or take out the projecting bookcase and make that wall flat, remove the stone and wood panelling, and completely reconfigure the wall? Or something in between those 2 extremes? Looks like the fireplace is wood burning so you need to keep the raised hearth - correct?

What do you want on that wall in addition to the TV and fireplace? Do you need space for a video games console etc? And please give us the measurements of the space.

nondesigneraaron thanked partim
  • partim
    3 years ago

The TV can be on a completely different wall than the cable and blue ray player etc. You just need a gizmo to send the signal wirelessly to the TV.

https://techforluddites.com/wireless-cable-tv/

If you want to keep your existing furniture, please send us the measurements. I will assume that, same as now, the sofa can be at an angle to the TV and the 2 easy chairs should be facing the TV. (In my house, people lie on the sofa to watch TV when it's at an angle.)

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think we can definitely help. If you can implement @partim's suggestions, it should be easy to give you some ideas.

nondesigneraaron thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    3 years ago

Hire an interior designer to come in and make it beautiful

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the help and suggestions. Here is the photo straight on. The FP is used and wood burning so unfortunately the raised hearth must stay. Yes, we'd like to try the TV above the FP, if that is an option even though we use the FP.

We are looking to reconfigure/update the space. Might mean we keep some shelving but not THAT many and the dated paneling must go, although I'm not opposed to leaving the brcikwork around the FP. What do we want/need in this space? Probably space for the receiver, DVD, apple box, Wii console. I wouldn't mind keeping some shelving for a much smaller array of knickknacks/art/decor. If we can make it look more balanced somehow that would be an added bonus, although I'm not sure that is possible since the FP is not centered.

To the right of the pic is a glass door leading to the kitchen and to the left of the picture is a walkway to the hall and back of the house. Both are staying.

The furniture does not need to be added into the equation as it may be replaced or just rearranged to the other side of the room for TV viewing.

Okay...here are the measurements:

Bookcase is 5' (with 5" more to the door frame) and the mantle is 105", paneling above FP is 96", floor to bottom of mantle 44"

• Kelly
    3 years ago

Following

• njmomma
    3 years ago

The head on picture of the fireplace helps alot!

Start the transformation;

Start decluttering. Donate, give away, and throw out.

Keep only thing things you truly want and are special to you.

It's freeing :-) to do so.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

We told you earlier either the Tv goes in the book case about 35" from the floor or to the wall left of the fireplace

• partim
    3 years ago

I would remove that shelving altogether. Keep the focus on the fireplace as decor, and don't add more.

Put the TV over a low TV cabinet that contains all the TV paraphernalia. Choose a colour from the slate that tops your hearth, and paint that wall dark. Maybe something more brownish and a bit lighter than I have shown here. Is your carpeting staying? The dark wall will "hide" the TV. Maybe your dark-framed painting in the dining room will look good over the fireplace.

• plf12652
    3 years ago

No to the tv over a wood burning fireplace.....too high for comfortable viewing and bad for the electronics!

• plf12652
    3 years ago

Partim has a good arrangement

• curlycook
    3 years ago

I like Partim’s idea, also! You currently have only 3 tv viewing spots. You could move the keyboard and play area to the wall that used to have the tv and arrange seating toward the new tv location. You MUST declutter. It’s hard to begin, but lightens and gives new life to a room!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Or the wall to view from dining room.

• partim
    3 years ago

You might be interested in this fireplace makeover. They had a tile setter add cement right over the existing brick, and added a bulkier mantle. https://boxwoodavenue.com/brick-fireplace-makeover/#:~:text=Smearing%20cement%20over%20old%20brick,installed%20after%20the%20cement%20dried.

You can go right over your existing mantle. Google "mantle cover" or "mantle slipcover" or "Mantle overlay"

• Newideas
    3 years ago

Following

• nondesigneraaron
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I realize we need to declutter. But my hubby is not one to get that started until we are full in to completing the project. So, I'm trying to figure out our planned layout, and then we will get into it by decluttering, hiring someone to help with that wall, and rearrange our furniture accodringly.

Like Partim's suggestions and are very appreciated of the visual. We need that! Also, like the bulky new mantle in that ccmment.

The problem we are having is that the FP is the center of that room, that the bookshelf area. Immediately to the side of the bookshelf is a doorway. So, we struggle with putting the TV in that logical place because it would be at an angle to the room (towards the FP) and then you would see the "behind the scenes" components and/or the back of the TV as you walk into that room from the kitchen.

We would likely change out the carpet at some point now or later to hardwood/laminate. We were thinking we could add more seating by moving the TV and then put more couch/chair/sectional/etc on the wall the TV currently is on in addition to the window area.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

If you want shelves, and want to keep the side of the t.v. hidden, you can remove some of the shelves for the t.v., rearrange others, and have doors made for the bottom shelves to hide components. Put the t.v. on a swivel mount so it can be angled out into the room for ideal viewing. Remove the scalloped trim on the bookshelves as well. You can leave the paneling behind it and either paint or wallpaper over it to cover it. Remove the rest of the paneling around the fireplace and paint the same color as the rest of your walls. Add a larger mantle as suggested. Your current artwork, if you like it, is a good size for over the fireplace-it just needs to be lowered a bit and straightened.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living