Software
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_swartz

How much did you pay for your front door with installation?

6 years ago

I'm getting quotes to replace my front door door. I'm not looking for anything fancy. For just a solid fiberglass pre-hung door with no glass I'm getting quotes for $1400. I believe the door itself is about $500. Does $900 sound about right to install a new door and take an old door away?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    In general,Yes, especially if this is all there doing.

    There are a lot of missing details so this could be low or high price.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It also depends upon the area you live in. 900 may be normal where you live. Where I live, 300. would be about what the cost for installation would be, and it also depends upon the door you are installing. Some doors are more expensive than 500.00, particularly when the door is your front entrance door.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    $300 would be For Daryl and Daryl and paid in cash since they don’t have a bank account.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Find me a door installer that will do it for $300 that isn't a complete mess....PLEASE!!!

  • 6 years ago

    Chuck. In. A. Truck. Prices.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh gosh. I didn't realize so much could be involved. The price is for a 80 x 36 door and disposalof the old door. I live in central Florida.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Its all in the details. Many things to consider . Is the door going to prefinished or unfinished ? Who is going to paint or stain it if unfinished. Is there trim to be replaced ? Is it going to be finshed? is the exterior going to be wrapped ? Is there an existing storm door? Is being reinstalled? Is the sill being replaced ? What about the door hardware? Are the locks going to be rekeyed ? Are they insured? Is there a warranty? Are they pulling a permit? Are they licensed? Is there lead based paint?Is there name Daryl? I am sure missing something but there are a lot of things to consider.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    " Does $900 sound about right to install a new door and take an old door away?"


    It depends. If you're in Florida, I've got $75.00 or so in permits and inspections at least. If the jambs need building or the trim needs work, it's an all-day job. I won't work all day and haul away junk for $900.00.


    I make it a point to weed out potential customers who try to figure out how much money I'm making on their job. It's none of their business.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Yes we do.

  • 6 years ago

    I decided to go with it the $1400 price tag. I want it to be done by people who do this everyday and I like how responsive the door company is.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Kathy. It sounds like my quote is about right then. :)

  • 6 years ago

    If you want a price comparison, you need to get it with a second or third door contractor/installer from your area with the same door assembly. Asking on this forum if the pricing is reasonable and fair is subjective to say the least and results in speculation.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Excellent points Lynne.