vaporvac

Body Bag Quandary #3: Robin Hood?

This bagged rose was purchased From Menard's in Spring 2018 as Robin Hood. I'm having a difficult time deciding if the ID is correct. It is a HUGE rose growing in less than perfect circumstances shooting out 7' red thorny canes. It does have a rosey fragrance, but I have a good nose. It flowers on trusses at the end of the canes and BSs easily here leaving it bare most of the season. It was one particularly resistant to my anti-midge ministrations so I'm not sure how many flushes it would normally give once established. I guess we'll see this year, but last year it was two (2), Spring and Fall. Please note the fringed stipules. Picture heavy post. Click to enlarge the pictures.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I'm posting in both Antiques and Modern as I think it's considered a HM which while not an OGR is an older category. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'd really like to ID this rose so I can move it to another spot that gives it more space. I'll post pics in a sec from my phone.

June 2018 new growth:

July 2018:

Stipules:

Late August 2019 defoliation:

Late May 2019:

10/28/19:

Best Answer
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

These pics are recent 2020. Excuse the flash, but it shows the colour fairly well: cherry red tending toward pink. The blooms in the vase are next to Heathcliff, Ascot and Awakening among others.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

• portlandmysteryrose

I. see what you mean, Vaporvac. I keep looking at your rose and thinking yes and no. Your rose seems to be something along the lines of Robin Hood. Maybe RH's offspring Wilhelm/Skyrocket? Your rose's blooms do seem to have a more high centered look and a slightly higher petal count than RH. Skyrocket throws long canes like your rose. It's been a while since I've grown red-range Hybrid Musks, and I don't want to lead you astray...as I fear I did with my alarmist comments on your foliage damage thread--so sorry about that!

Anyway, my comment here will bump up your post in the queue, and I know there are a number of forum members currently growing red HMs that will give you more positive answers. Your rose is charming, and personally I really like all the red HMs, but it is good to know WHICH one you are growing, as you say, so you can place your rose appropriately and know what to expect from it. Plus the history is unique, Pemberton vs Kordes. Those are great detail photos! Carol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thank you so much. I will be brief because I am voice recognition phone as for some reason on my old computer who's will not let me post an answer. So sorry about the other post I mean to answer but when I use voice recognition it sounds like I can't even speak correctly. I'm a very strange accent or something. LOL! Anyway I will have to go check Skyrocket because I actually have that Rose but it's down on my lower Hill and this is its first year blooming, but it is in bloom! So I can compare those flowers. I have a feeling it is not the same. This Rose is humongous from me. It's at 2nd year and that 7 foot long cane is choking out Chuckles! So I probably will move it down to my hill on top of the retaining wall so it can do its thing over there, but for printing purposes and everything else of course it's nice to have an ID. One thing, all of these Menard roses that I got in 2018 were all correct and they were all sort of unusual older roses such as pet pink pet, Chuckles, white medal and Belinda's dream. These aren't the sort of roses we normally find here. And they were all correctly id'd so I feel it must be Robin Hood but without singing It's hard to say. Thank you so much for your comment and sorry for rambling on. It's easy to do that when I'm just talkin! :-)

• mad_gallica

Robin Hood has a white eye.

The foliage doesn't look right for Will Scarlet to me. The scent doesn't sound right for Nur Mahal.

To be honest, it looks more like a Floribunda than a Hybrid Musk, but I don't really know Floris.

• portlandmysteryrose

Not Nur Mahal: I agree, Mad Gallica. In addition to the scent, Nur Mahal is a bit more on the pinkish side of reds. Plus my NMs have never been thorny. Carol

• portlandmysteryrose

Vaporvac, I just Googled "Nur Mahal thorns" and found this photo of smooth canes that resemble the canes of plants I've grown. (Link at bottom.) My NMs probably all came from ARE.

If your rose isn't Robin Hood, Will Scarlet or Wilhelm/Skyrocket...hmmm. What other true-ish red HMs are there? Belinda is dark pink. Carol

P.S. Good luck with your technology! Voice recognition always acts like I'm speaking gibberish. Ha, ha.

https://lazyorganicrosegardener.com/2012/06/07/on-thorns-and-thornless-rose-recommendations/

• portlandmysteryrose

Vaporvac, I just had another thought...which is probably WAY off base because I'm terrible at IDing a whole chunk of roses, especially red ramblers, but do you think there's any way your rose might BE a red rambler? Something on the order of Hybrid Multiflora 'Crimson Rambler'? I keep looking at all those gazzilions of smallish buds about to explode in clusters of crimson. Plus you did say your rose is throwing long canes, and it has hairy stipules. Anyway, others will know better, and I take no offense at rose experts on the forum totally shooting down my wayward suggestions. My 'Ragged Robin' suggestion on another ID thread really needed nipping in the bud. :-) Anyway, I look forward to reading your eventual ID conclusions! Carol

Beautiful Residential Interior Transformations in Northern Virginia