Software
Houzz Logo Print
brownstone3inbklyn

Anyone know anything about Forno appliances made in Montreal, Canada?

6 years ago

In my search for a 24'" induction cooktop, I came across one made by Formo at a much better price than leading companies' cooktops. https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FCTIN053924.html;

Looking for reviews, tips, comments about this particular item, and about the manufacturer Forno.

Is their product as good as one by famous companies such as Bosch, Wolf, GE, Frigidaire....? Anyone have experience? Thanks.

Comments (30)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Forno doesn't look to be an actual manufacturer, just rebadged stuff from China. This cooktop is the same as the one sold under the "Ancona" brand, maybe you can try looking for reviews of those.

    My view, based on experience with similar no name products... you get what you pay for. I'm sure it will work fine out of the box, but it's likely a disposable product. Hard to say how it will be holding up years later, and if it does break outside of warranty, good luck getting parts and service for a no-name brand.

    Then again induction can be tough and expensive to fix even from reputable brands, so you might be willing to accept a disposable product if it's cheap up front. Just know what you're buying.

    BklynBrownstone thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Further confirming hvtech''s cautions and the advice that the Forno cooktop is "rebadged stuff from China," and that Forno is just a jobber brand, when I followed the AJ Madison link and clicked on its link to the "Owner Manual" my browser opened a new tab with tab caption (up by the menu bar) that read "英文说明书改安装部份 . "

    As for Ancona, I was not able to determine whether or not it is offering the exact same induction cooktop but the brand does seem to be affiliated with whoever or whatever owns Forno. When you search on "Ancona" at AJ Madison, it brings up a gas stove called the "Ancona Professional Dual Fuel Range" which is identified as a model "Forno FFSG36...."

    IIRC, threads here from a three or four years ago found that Ancona's gas range products were then being made by Terim, a Turkish conglomerate with factories in Turkey and eastern Europe. I haven't found anything about Terim owning induction plants and some Chinese firms have become the leaders in sub-contracted cheap induction components, so the Ancona and Forno induction products may very well be subcontracted from the same factory.

    These brands pop up and vanish with some regularity so there is a substantial risk that they are indeed selling "disposable products." The jobber brands rarely have much in the way of functional service and support; the prices and brands simply can't support a traditional service network. Now, when the jobber-brand gas ranges and cooktops use readily available, off-the-shelf components in their products, as some of the gas-range makers do (like NXR), then any reasonably handy homeowner --- if inclined to do so --- can handle DIY repairs with generic parts from the local appliance parts warehouse and/or online suppliers. With induction products, however, you are looking at integrated electronics and parts assemblies which very few DIYers have the skills and tools needed to fix. IME, few appliance servicers are willing to tackle products for which they can't even find wiring diagrams let alone service manuals or parts. As with the cheap portable induction cooktops you see in the ads on the right margin of this page (or, at least, the ones I see in my browser when logged on here), you replace rather than repair when anything goes wrong. That is what we mean by opining that a product is disposable.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you very much for the helpful information!

  • 6 years ago

    You were absolutely right! Indeed, Forno's appliances are manufactured in China, not in Canada like their salesman told me!

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you I was looking for info on this company as well

  • 6 years ago

    I ended up with Frigidaire’s induction cooktop, and feel good with that decision!

  • 5 years ago

    When buying brands like "Forno", just purchase from Home Depot or Lowes! Forno appliances are sold at Home Depot and Lowes. THEN you're backed by Home Depot or Lowes (along with Forno's warranty). That's how you buy no name brands!!!!

  • 5 years ago

    True, I just bought a Forno 30” five burner. It looks beautiful. $1400.00 at Home Depot. But! I also paid $200.00 for a five year Warranty. Best money I ever spent. It makes Hope Depot, my vendor responsible for this thing for five years. If it breaks, they take it and throw it in the rubbish out back. They say go pick out another stove. Ok, then lets try a Zyline 30”........"

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    To counter some of what's being said here, I've had a FORNO Side-By-Side refrigerator for close to a year now. I don't really care where it's manufactured, to be honest, but I can tell you it's been fantastic from the start and I've had no issues whatsoever.

    As far as the "impossible to get parts" blah blah blah, someone in our house (not me) accidentally broke one of the inside door shelves. I called the customer service number for their office based in Montreal (I'm in the PNW U.S.) and left a message. The call was returned within minutes by the parts manager himself, who offered to ship a new part out free of charge. It was the kind of customer service interaction I've only heard talked about as a relic of years past.

    So that's my hands-on experience, free of some of the conjecture found elsewhere in this thread.

  • 4 years ago

    I just bought a Forno stove. The quality control is amiss on my stove. I am really worried. It also came damaged, but that's another story...It's Saturday so I haven't been able to contact anyone. I can't really show the entire problem because it's hard to see, but the black cooktop section extends too far over the front edge and pushes the front control knob section forward on one corner, which also means it left a gap at the back. Also the burner on that same side, is slightly crooked as well. I had a heck of a time getting off the blue tape too. As I pulled, half of it stayed stuck to the range.



  • 4 years ago

    We bought a Forno range and it was a terrible decision. The leg snapped off while it was still early in its warranty, and instead of honoring the warranty, they mailed us new legs - but of course, the new legs are impossible to install, because the part snapped off inside of the range. We're still trying to get them to actually send a repair person to fix it (how else do you fix a 300 lbs range that's hooked up to a gas line already?).


    I would steer very clear of this company. Our range was delivered dinged up, we've gotten no support from them, and Home Depot basically says "sorry, talk to Forno." Buy from a non-fly-by-night brand that will repair or replace its products if you have an issue. I wish we had gone with a name brand!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    So now that my stove has been installed since Jan 3rd, (today is Jan 20th) I have been able to use the stove and have some input. The burners are amazing. The top grates are great for sliding pans around and are the perfect distance from the burners, so I can simmer on any burner. The oven is AWFUL. I tried to cook chicken wings and they come out tough and won't brown. This could be attributed to the fact that my door is not closing all the way. The front knobs and the front of the stove are so hot that I can't touch them. Forno says said it's normal which is like saying flat tires are normal on a car. I've never had an oven that made the front of the stove so hot you burn yourself. I bought the 6275 model which is a gas convection oven and I can't even tell if the fan works it is going so slow. My last stove was a Zline and before that a GE Profile (for 20 years) and both of the ovens worked the same in that they could bake chicken wings that were delicious. I'm very sad about the Forno. I have contacted their tech dept but they are not that responsive because I have a real issue that they would have to solve.

  • 4 years ago

    Bought a 30" induction cooktop from Canadian Appliance. After two years, one of the elements is broken and there is no parts supplier for replacement. Otherwise, the product worked very well.

  • 4 years ago

    Forno is made in China and there is a distribution centre in Montreal. I would strongly recommend NOT BUYING FORNO appliances. My refrigerator died a couple months after warranty ended! Thats a HUGE RED FLAG as to the quality. I bought extended warranty bc I’m an Aries and I trust no one. Good thing. It cannot be fixed. NO PARTS AVAILABLE! Unit must be replaced! Now I have to go thru the extended warranty provider and they may balk. Hopefully not. Fingers crossed. Please dont sacrifice yourself to save a few hundred $$$

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Garbage quality. No replacement parts.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks all i forgot about this thread i went with wolf

  • 4 years ago

    No comparison!!!

  • 4 years ago

    Some lady above loves her fridge, hasn’t had any issues, but a shelf broke and they shipped her one immediately! Lol! A shelf? That’s a lot different than an Evaporator, a drier filter, and a heat exchanger, which is what I need! Mine is leaking Freon. NO PARTS AVAILABLE. Unit must be replaced. It’s not worth it. Broke within a year! Seriously

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I have a GE Profile dual fuel range and it doesn't hold temperature. We are in the market for an oven and I'm absolutely over the moon for this one...https://homelivingparadise.com/products/forno-30-inch-capriasca-dual-fuel-range-with-5-gas-burners-100-000-btus-and-french-door-electric-oven-in-stainless-steel-ffsgs6387-30?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&msclkid=43c0634a13da1cbaf1d707c9152eb772&utm_term=4587987153036026&utm_content=All%20Products

    My dilemma is - I feel I am focusing on the wrong thing...the french door!!!!

    We plan on moving within the year and I am not taking the stove with me because one of the main things on my "make me move list" is a range minimum size 48".

    So general consensus is stay away from Forno?

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, I would. My Forno refrigerator broke after 2 yrs and was unrepairable. I use it for our pantry. I bought the extended warranty because they’re an unknown entity and it had just ran out, but Forno gave me a new refrigerator. I was made whole again, but they’re not made to last. I would but something affordable for an appliance you’re gonna leave behind. My sub Zero refrigerator in my kitchen and Wolf range are amazing. Good quality appliances! For piece of mind, buy the extended warranty!!!

  • 3 years ago

    $3500 for a gas range when you'll be moving within a year. Find a range on Facebook Marketplace and save $3k.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    My husband and I were talking about appliances this morning. They don't make them like they used to. Our GE profile dual fuel range is less than five years old. All of a sudden, the oven stopped holding temperature. It was under warranty and they came out and replaced practically everything and their solution was...buy a thermometer for the inside and adjust the temperature accordingly...yeah...no. Nothing is made to last unfortunately. I dodged a bullet and didn't by the Lachancha when a friend bought hers and was over the moon - she has the same issue - her oven doesn't hold temperature.


    I agree with you Marilyn - why would I put a $3,000 - $4,000 stove in a home I'm leaving? Thanks!

  • 2 years ago

    We bought a Forno gas stove/oven in Feb (now Nov) and I cant get anyone to come fix it! The OVEN does not stay on. It shuts itself off. We double checked the gas line and no leaks so something is wrong with the OVEN. I emailed but the email is rejected :( and no where to call and talk to someone. I would not recommend buying this product!


  • 2 years ago

    Horrible horrible customer service. Brand new dishwasher quit working after two weeks, we have been trying since November 2023 to get repaired or replaced. Forno CS said they would be sending a replacement unit but as of mid January 2024 have not received replacement dishwasher.

    Do not buy!!!!!!!!!!!

  • 2 years ago


    I purchased a Forno stove in October 2021. June of 2022 the serious issues began and have continued. Approximately two months after the warranty expired the oven would not ignite (Thanksgiving Day, 2023). Eventually I received a reply from customer service with too much in bold print telling me that my unit was out of warranty, parts would be supplied per their technician according to my report of problems with stove which were, igniters would not stay off while burners were on, oven would not stay lit, wires were frayed going to igniters. There was duct tape behind the knob holding part of the cover

    behind knobs together. That is a fire hazard for sure. I received a box of parts free of charge with igniters, new wiring, but no burner for oven. Repairman stated the whole stove was in the box except the burners, doors and walls. Today is March 1 and the igniters installed February 22 have already gone out, so much for free parts supplied by Forno. I have begged for a new stove. I was offered a new unit half price with a one-year warranty which would begin when payment was made, not delivery. Delivery could take weeks. Their company may not be a sham, but their website does not tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Customer service with this company is sub-par.

  • 2 years ago

    EM_Dave King - yes they do have a 36" with the french door oven, but after reading the reviews here, I"M STAYING AWAY FROM FORNO

  • 2 years ago

    Me too. My fridge conked out after a year but luckily I bought the extended warranty because the fridge was unable to be fixed and had to be completely replaced! I don’t trust that everything they make won’t spontaneously die right after the manufactures warranty expires….
    My advice if you buy FORNO - buy the extended warranty. They’re an unknown entity that’s probably manufactured in China. The savings is not worth the risk!

  • 9 months ago

    I have Forno appliances in my newly custom built home. It's been 6 months and the refrigerator stopped cooling on Dec. 21st. It's now Dec. 31st and it still hasn't been repaired. Ive had to email back and forth with a customer service rep, send pictures, email proof of purchase but I haven't heard anything for days. I've had to throw away all the food that spoiled. I would strongly advise against Forno. I'm currently looking at replacing all of the appliances based on this experience. Warranty and customer support are almost non existent, and it's all done through email, no number to actually talk to anyone.