gardenho_mi_z5

What’s Blooming this June?

GardenHo_MI_Z5

Here is my crooked lilac tree along with salvia ‘May night’....

Rouge I’m hoping you’ll share your lilac too!

• Faith

I’m also a very occasional poster! My gardens were largely neglected this year due to a new baby, but that’s what I love about perennials—they bloom whether you pay attention to them or not.

My “gold bed” with rudbeckia, day lilies, other lilies, butterfly weed, dianthus, and a few larkspur. Sorry, I don’t know the varieties of pretty much anything; I just stick things in the ground and see if they grow:

Roses in the background, along with Shasta daisies, larkspur, day lilies, and phlox:

Same bed looking the other way:

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Faith
    Featured Answer
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

GardenHo, I did have it staked and so it was reasonably upright ;). But my faullt, it had grown too large for its location and was pushing into the cedar hedge. (I removed it and replaced it with a weeping/cascading Japanese Maple).

But I do enjoy seeing yours this time of year.

how to get Zagreb Coreopsis to rebloom

Yvonne, thank you - yes Google hits tell you to clip the blooms, but I have a HUGE amount of these babies and it would be impossible to do this. Sorry, I could not figure out how to get to the garden forum - I have been there before but could not remember how. Thought someone may have a different idea. I am going to try to post a picture of these flowers.

I can see light.....

By the way, we should have a whole forum devoted to what to say to people who ask about how our renovations are going!

Need ideas to improve the curb appeal of my new home please

Those of us who know and love crepe myrtles have an on going debate about the best method of caring for them. I am of the “judiciously prune” camp and have carefully instructed my tree trimmer NOT to “murder” my trees by cutting them back so hard they have “knuckles.” (Aka known as “knuckling” the tree.) Pretty trees when planted in the right location.

What’s missing?

Black porch looks fine as is but would NOT add more black. Would paint the pergola and the upstairs window supports the same white as your white windows and white window trim. Would NOT try to paint vinyl windows. You could paint the wood trim around the vinyl windows (but I wouldn't -- would leave the window trim white, too.) Consider adding a large and very colorful hanging basket on the left side of the pergola or one with a lot of colorful flowers that bloom most of the growing season where you're located. Believe these are impatiens. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SOL-new-large-decorative-flower-ball_220980682.html
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

GardenHo - I love that little vignette. I have tried to grow woodland phlox and it just disappears. What conditions are you growing them in and what variety are they? SO pretty!

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Gardenho, beautiful beds!!! I LOVE seeing pictures from your garden! You have such an eye for lovely combinations and placements.

Ramona clematis. Her first flush of blooms in spring are the most unearthly, beautiful pale blue lavender. After blooms are more purple, like this one.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Astilbe is one of my favorites. It makes such a nice mound of foliage, too, as long as it stays decently watered.

Hagkey Hybrid clematis, aka Pink Chiffon. Probably the Clem I like the best. Blooms a long time for me. Most of my clematis are young, so I can’t wait for them to fill out!

Betty Balfour.

ID’d as Dr. Ruffel, climbing Zephirine Drouhin. I like the combo :)

Veronica, yarrow, phacelia, and roses. I love it when everything is going crazy, and there are plenty of blooms for cutting. :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Beautiful, dilly, just beautiful! Stunning bouquet!

:)
    Dee

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

PM thank you. I have them on the north side of my house which is part shade. I found these on clearance last year and had no idea how beautiful they would be. I didn’t know there were different varieties? If I can find the tag I’ll let you know.

Dilly thank you for such nice compliments. And thank you for sharing your bloomers! I love them all...especially the rose combo! And your arrangement is absolutely gorgeous!! 😍 I made some last year for the first time...it was so much fun! They turned out OK but not nearly as beautiful as yours!

• mazerolm_3a

Gorgeous pics, GardenHo!

Crabapples, alliums and creeping phlox are now blooming in my garden. And iris Diggles is my first iris to bloom.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Thank you Maz. Glad your here as I love seeing your gardens :) Your alliums are so tall! And I love your driveway bed. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

That is a very pretty bed!

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

Beautiful, Mazerolm! Love the alliums

• cercis47

Graham Thomas ad Dictamus

• cercis47

Cystitis battandieri. - Pineapple Broom

• cercis47

Cornelia rose with Summerwine ninebark

• cercis47

Unknown Peony, Astrantia, Geum “Fireball”, Baptisia

• cercis47

And today heavy rain and wind beating it all up!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Cercis beautiful roses and that pineapple broom...is it fragrant? What is the pink flower to the right of the Baptisia? We are supposed to get that storm tomorrow... Rain is desperately needed! Grass turning to straw :(

Thanks for sharing!

• cercis47

GardenHo, yes, the broom is fragrant and guess what it smells like? Pineapple! For real!

To the right of the Baptisia is Astrantia " Hapsden Blood". The other Astrantia is " Roma" and a little later Astrantia maxima blooms.

It is always interesting to hear weather talk from other areas of the country. We have had a very cool and pretty wet spring which has been good for some things and not so good for others. My potato plants were all knocked down this morning and my cukes have rotted twice. The rhododendrons and azaleas were spectacular and lasted much longer than normally. The perennials have been very heathy and blooming well until this last week. Humans are suffering from the gloom though..... Glad you will be getting some rain, I do think no rain is much worse than too much rain- in the garden and elsewhere in life.

Thank you for the compliment on my garden. I don't always reply to the photo posts but enjoy them all and thankful for this great group of gardeners.

• cercis47

I like the crooked lilac. Something about how it fits with the shape of the bed. We have a Washington Hawthorn that was one of the first trees I planted here 40 years ago. It has always leaned and actually is quite a mess as hawthorns go. But the birds love it's messy insides and eating the berries in the fall even though they are the last ones they touch.....

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Mmmmm love pineapple!...how amazing is that?! I’m sorry to hear about your veggies...what a disappointment. I hope the weather straightens out for them. I’m just doing tomatoes this year. Didn’t do any last year due to the long cold wet spring...and boy did I miss them!

The crooked lilac is loved by the sparrows. it’s close to the birdbath and the birdhouse they have occupied for years. It amazes me they survive the winters in it.

I agree no rain is worse and gets very depressing. We had some good rain to start this spring, and the plants really took off! Unfortunately it ended. Our summers have become quite drought like. I’ve shovel pruned many plants due to this. No sense in fighting mother nature....

Good luck with your veggies!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

The peonies are blooming...of course right before the expected storm LOL.

and this out of control nine bark

Siberian iris ruffle velvet with salvia

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

A little OT... My daughter just sent me this beautiful pic she took...she is up north with friends. Thought I’d share...

• Sydney (Zone 5B, DSM, Iowa)

Love my Salvia. I cropped out the ones that got run over (thanks, husband!) and you can tell my driveway is about to be torn out next to this bed. But mulching it made me feel a little bit better about the construction.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Sydney (Zone 5B, DSM, Iowa)
  • getgoing100_7b_nj

Columbines, H F Young clematis almost finishing off, snapdragons (I overwinter them indoors so kinda perennials for me), and annuals - nemesia, poppy, petunias, sweet peas, mimulus, torenia and portulaca.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

Gg So pretty and colorful! Thanks for sharing.

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Garden ho, this is the most glorious time of the year for the garden. There is so much joy to spread. :) The nemesias were quick to explode into color as quick in their decline. Now the poppies and petunias are taking over the baton.

• cercis47

Beautiful summer combinations, are these all boxes?

• getgoing100_7b_nj

There are 3 small railing boxes, rest are all a motley crew of containers of all sizes, mostly small.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Gg yes such a Happy place...just beautiful!

Clematis Arabella now blooming with salvia..

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Nice. My princess diana got its very first blooms. It's a tiny vine. I hope it gives some more blooms this season. I managed to kill the Jackmanii in its second year after only a couple of blooms last year. The pink champagne baby has managed to loses its leaves a few times and is sprouting again now. Hopefully I will get a couple of blooms out of it this season.

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Garden ho, your Marie Louise Jenson is spectacular.

• getgoing100_7b_nj

Lovemycorgi, I have had good luck growing hf young on my north facing balcony in a 15 inch container. It only gets good sun for about 4 to 5 months in spring/summer. Here it is last month, its 3rd or 4th year.

• Heruga (6b/7a NJ)

In order: Thymus quincecostatus, filipendula yezoensis(supposedly, not sure if misIDed), dracocephalum argunense, and bletilla striata.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Oh thanks for these beautiful pictures! Today is rainy and drippy and I just feel blah. All of the combos are great but man you guys have shown some amazing clematis. Really really pretty!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

Nimbus White Thalictrum:

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Heruga beautiful blooms!

Oursteelers I love your gardens, trees and yard. It looks so serene and private.

Rouge I’m happy to see you finally got your white beauty : )

Pm beautiful roses. I’m considering purchasing some climbers for my porch posts. So many to choose from, I’m having a hard time deciding...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

GardenHo - 'Aloha' is the pink above, It is a climber, but only grows to 8-10ft tall. I don't really do a lot of climbers, I have this one and New Dawn and I haven't gotten to a point of having something for them to climb on so they are on the fence line, waiting. [g]. The reason I bought it was I liked what I read about it, it is an older hybrid, is supposed to be fragrant, and most importantly, I'm always looking for a 'no spray' rose. Here's another photo of it...

That is the extent of my experience. [g]. But here is a link with info on Aloha and this rose site, is very helpful in looking up information. I've found GW members on the rose forum always happy to give opinions on which roses they like.

help me find - 'Aloha' rose

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

It’s a beauty ...I’ll look that one up thank you!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Another month has flown by....Hard to believe it’s almost July!

Here’s some more June bloomers. Lets see yours!

Daisy

Delphinium with catmint and Baptista

Callirhoe-pictures don’t do it justice (excuse the fried grass)

Veronica white wands with Rose Campion

Veronica Royal candles

Sidalcea Candy girl

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

Big blue sea Holly

Goatsbeard with smoke bush

lots of lilies

Sundrops

Fairy rose

Centranthus ruber

Rose Campion reseeded here with Roseann and Royal candles

My bargain $1 Petunia

• jacquierz5bmi

I love this thread with all of the beautiful photos. I hope you don't mind if a lurker/very occasional poster contributes.

This is William Baffin and John Cabot on my arbor with Hagley Hybrid on an armillary. Two of the roses in the foreground are Violet's Pride and the red one is Dr. Huey unfortunately. He will be going next spring when I can get another Violet's Pride.
    Salvia Caradonna with Sundance Kid rose.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked jacquierz5bmi
  • jacquierz5bmi

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Munstead Wood, Shasta daisies, salvia caradonna, and veronica Ulster Blue Dwarf I think.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked jacquierz5bmi
  • jacquierz5bmi

Two more and then I'm done.

Can't wait for the daylilies to start.

Hope I didn't overstep.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked jacquierz5bmi
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

jacquierz5bmi Welcome!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful gardens. I love your arbor and all of your roses....very pretty. Your sitting area looks so nice and cozy, I’d love to sit there with coffee an take it all in. You have such a nice variety.

You didn’t overstep what so ever, we welcome all gardeners and love when you share pics! Hope to see you back :)

Faith congratulations on the new baby!! Just like they say housework can wait...so can the gardens! Enjoy that baby while you can...They grow up so fast.

• mazerolm_3a

I’m really enjoying this thread and will come back to it this winter for inspiration! My garden was started 6 years ago and although there is still a lot of mulch to be seen, it’s starting to look good, sometimes even great. Here’s a few more from my garden:

dianthus and thyme: they should clash but I love this color combo!

THE most beautiful flower in my garden, bearded iris Don’t Stop Believing. The picture does not do it justice.

Geranium Biokovo: hands down my favourite geranium.

Peony Bowl of Beauty, second year in my garden

Iris Honky Tonk Blues and Pink Parfait

This is a 3-year old garden bed and has drifts of salvias, leucanthemums, Veronica and coreopsis, but they’re still very small. Most perennials were planted last year or this year.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked mazerolm_3a
  • mazerolm_3a

-continued

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked mazerolm_3a
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5

That iris is beautiful! I love all of your iris..

Your beds are filling in beautifully Maz... Your hard work has certainly paid off!!

• mxk3

Gorgeous eye candy, everyone!!

• getgoing100_7b_nj

My butterfly pea is finally blooming. :)

Closet America
117 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company