Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyam

Help update 1960s exterior!

T Hyam
3 years ago

We are redoing the windows, siding and doors. Help me choose colors for an updated look! We don’t want brown and we aren’t painting the brick. The brick is a weird color, kind of tan-ish with some pink-ish...

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

what color windows are you doing? (not white, I hope)

I actually like your doors. they fit the house. I'd paint them a bold color. like this jewel color. the other two could go on the siding and trim

this would look beautiful against the brick

what color is the roof? brown?

so you're basically stuck in the creams, taupes, sandy beige, pink, gray tones.

this white and soft gray would work w/the brick. And this blush color for the front door is perfect

all of these would work. (you'll have to get some samples to see what they look like)

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! And what color do you think would work for the garage door? Same as the siding Or the trim? It’s a really wide door and takes up a lot of the front of the house

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

what color windows are you doing? not white. maybe bronze or a gray/sand color?

do you like this combo? I like the BM Harbor Gray better than the gray in the little picture.(which has a touch of green to it. you want a silvery, neutral gray, not a blue/gray or green/gray)

I don't think this particular gray tone is correct, but I like the combo idea and the blush door. I also like this color door.

Your house is 70's contemporary. all of them were brown, greens, dark tones. to blend in w/nature.

as for the garage door, are you keeping that relic?

this would be perfect fit. (you don't have to do the wood look,,

or one like this in a dark gray. (I don't think i'd paint it white. depends on what color combo you pick for the house)

ya know, if you really want to get all 70's, do something like this w/some molding (of course you'd paint it all one color)

and don't forget some lights, an address plaque

here, i gave you this one, but it's white. if they had a gray one it would be perfect. (and my numbers are a little large, but you get the idea! )

similar style

this one is just blah.

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

I love this one beth did

I actually like your house color- I’d just go with a garage door like this and matching dark trim/fascia...bold front door like B said

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I was looking at this middle one here

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s a picture of the brick closer up. Is it more pink or tan? Its such a weird brick color to me!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I don't see tan at all. Looks like red brick w/a slight white wash over it, giving it a pinkish nude color appearance. The one combo you like w/the copper accent color is a little too orange.

That's why I was leaning you towards the Purple/plum/magenta tones. Since the brick is actually pink, you need to lean toward colors with the red undertones

here's another color palette. I actually love the white that lean pink, w/the lavender based grays, and the plum tones. I think they'd look amazing w/your brick

of course you could just use Romabio BioDomus and paint the brick any color you like.

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

yes, I see it now. my husband would never go for anything too pink looking! I like either Dorian Gray or dovetail, with maybe Ibis pink for trim?

• Cor Cor
    3 years ago

Since you're redoing the windows and siding, have you considered a wood siding type of vibe? It leaves the brink alone and would look super with the garage door mock-up that @Beth H. :did that you liked.

Northgate Exterior · More Info

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like that but trying not to go too trendy. trying to do somewhat classic with an updated twist if that makes sense!

• cathyjoco
    3 years ago

Hi, I think I would invest in a new entry The curve on the stairs seems odd. The columns and corners are straight, so my inclination is to continue with straight lines. At the time of re-doing I would incorporate some planters and water lines. The plants will help break up the large amount of brick. Rather than use cement, I think I would bring in a stone that compliments the brick. I would reach out to a designer who could help you with colors and design. He may be able to come up with ideas for the driveway, a pattern or something, so that you don't need to re-do the entire thing.

• Cor Cor
    3 years ago

Please post the final result. It’s a great home!

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

What is currently unappealing about the color scheme is the shade used for window and door trim. Windows are an attractive feature and the entrance area has nice thick trim and yet there seems to have been an attempt to make them less prominent.

I think a color darker than the brick or lighter than the brick would enhance them.

I like the brown on the door and the siding. Do you hate it or do you just want something new?

I would call your brick color salmon. It is not brown enough to call it adobe. It is pretty though.

It's funny that your husband does not want anything "too pink." Does he know what color the brick is?

Anyway, I made a little image of whitish trim and a berry colored door.

How would you describe the roof color?

• T Hyam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The roof is a very dark brown. We are entirely replacing the siding itself (parts are rotting and It’s not holding paint well- I think it’s original to the house) not Just switching up the color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Time for a completely new look for the house. I would do a mortar smear on the brick and stain the siding to bring out the texture of the wood. Replace the garage doors with cedar faced garage doors stained in a farmhouse brown.

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Very nice @BeverlyFLADeziner

as usual

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

following

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I can see one of these colors on the siding. Or one of the light colors and Metropolis on the trim. Once you get the house painted, you can decide on a color for the door. I think it should be intense. Use a gloss finish.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

If the brick hasn't been professionally cleaned in a while, the colors may lighten up when that's done. Pressure washing may not be appropriate for the brick, but there are gentler methods that a pro could use. The driveway and walkway could be cleaned at the same time. Final choice of siding and trim colors can be made after cleaning is finished.

• User
    3 years ago

commenting to follow. that house is really cute and has tons of potential!

personally, I love the front door and would only (maybe) change the handles. I think the bricks are fine as-is, and would look better once the siding is painted.

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

Is the house sided all around or do you have stucco? What are you considering for siding? It looks like I see lap siding as well as the front facing siding with the striae on it.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Really nice house.

Like the red door color suggested by Beth H. : Choose your own favorite bright bold color for your entry door ... or black would work as well.

With that light brick, your home would look good with its siding and garage door -- all painted surfaces -- painted white.

When you change your siding, do box around the gutter downspout with treated wood boards and add siding to that boxed area as well.

You could choose a garage door with windows at the top of it and interesting trim atop that -- something on which you could boldly display your house numb er -- or add a short white arbor above the garage door and put your 911 house number on the front edge of that.

https://www.realhomes.com/advice/how-to-paint-a-garage-door

If you don't want a white, you should probably paint the garage door and garage door trim the same color as the siding you choose .

https://www.terraformdesign.eu/products/schiobet

Choose windows that do open, preferably top and bottom.. Those with a smaller fixed window at the top would look good with your style house and work with a garage door with windows at the top .

https://www.remodelingcosts.org/window-replacement-cost/

Wouldn't replace the curved entry steps but would enhance them.

You have room for three large deep planters, perhaps for red rose bushes) on your curved steps and, perhaps a smaller pot or two beside each one..

[Afterthought: I wouldn't paint or whitewash that brick but, if you do want it darker, you might well consider staining it rather than painting or whitewashing it..

https://www.google.com/search?q=dark+stain+for+light+brick&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00IIi-FskYvkdxGdS7yvHucJ9bSnw:1591777295814&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjT3JzC6PbpAhW5TTABHTvGDMIQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1291&bih=648#imgrc=uwoCX35BVHmSbM]

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If you don't want a couple of planters on the right side by the gutter, perhaps you could set a couple of chairs there.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

A few things to consider.

From what I can see of your yard it looks really great, including the pair of small trees in front of the brick pillars on each side of the garage door, but I mention them specifically because they will not stay small and you should consider the possibility of moving them next winter, when the sap is down, perhaps to the back of your yard -- somewhere away from the foundation of your home. They've al so already begun to block the lights on those brick pillars.

While I believe your home would look good with all white painted exterior surfaces, its current color is also attractive. Whatever color you do choose for the siding and for the trim, consider how what you choose will emphasize some features and de-emphasize others, including your garage door and your actual front entry. Your driveway aims directly at your garage door. There is no (obvious anyway) curve in the driveway to have a visitor even glimpse the front entry from the driveway. In all (or mostly all) one color + brick, neither your entry nor your garage door are emphasized and your sidewalk clearly leads to the entry. A natural wood garage door, while attractive, could alter that dynamic as could contrasting paint colors.

Now a smile: Have ever looked at your home, noticed the upstairs windows (eyes/eyebrows) and thought pareidolia?

https://old.reddit.com/r/Pareidolia/

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Omgoodness- it’s an angry bird @suezbell

• suezbell
    3 years ago

I was thinking more of a sneaky, curious vibe. :-)

Maybe it's the plain dark solid colored garage door I wasn't focusing on.

That reminds me: if your garage door works well, keep it, paint it if it needs it.

Those natural wood doors can be attractive but my inclination would be to add an 18" white portico over it to make a change to it.