Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Does anyone recognize this counter top?

nhb22
3 years ago

This counter top was in a beach rental that we stayed in a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure it was granite. I'd like to know the pattern. I liked that it has movement, and that it had some rusty gold/tan coloring in it as well as the gray. I am not an all gray fan.

This last photo is my iPad screen saver. I had collected and washed some shells after a day on the beach. They looked so pretty on the counter top. You can see how the shells pick up the rusty/gold/tan colors out of the surface.

Comments (23)

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Hard to say but it looks like it could be Fantasy Brown.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If it's fantasy brown, make sure you know it's dolomite.

https://superiorgranite.com/fantasy-brown-what-is-this-stuff/

very pretty

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

Fantasy Brown marble.

• function_first
    3 years ago

It looks a bit like Giallo Sabia granite to me. Here’s a pic of a slabwe installed in 2009.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I read the article. I don't want to have problems with Dolomite.

The counter material that we had at the beach looked like it had some white mica in it. I will be disappointed if it is Fantasy Brown. My cousin has Fantasy Brown in her kitchen and I don't think hers looks like my photos. I could be wrong, though. My cousin said that she picked out her slab to have more tans and golds. Less gray. The builder used another source to get the material. She didn't find out about it until the tops were installed and she noticed they were much more gray.

Here are hers.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Here's a link to a long thread about fantasy brown, with lots of pictures and testimonials.

IIRC, ravencajun's beautiful new fantasy brown kitchen was destroyed in a second flood.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

I put Fantasy Brown (sold as Quartzite) in my kitchen 5 1/2 years ago. I tested the large sample thoroughly for days before I committed to buying it. To this day, there isn't a scratch or any damaged spot on it anywhere, and I love it as much as the day it was installed.

My slab at the stone center

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess I will have to look at slabs to decide if I like it.

My3dogs - Your slab looks really gray. Could I see a photo of what it looks like in your kitchen?

• Darlene Salemi Brouillette
    3 years ago

It's Fantasy Brown or Fantasy Blue, but it's "leathered". Saw it at Arizona Tile and I loved it but chose something else.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you are speaking about the original photos that I posted from a beach house, the surface is definitely not leathered. The surface had a shiny smooth finish like I prefer.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

It's a dull dark day here in Maine, but here are some pics. Mine is leathered. Even in these pics the green looks gray, but trust me, it's a soft green.

• lauren dolce
    3 years ago

It could be Terra Bianca quartzite

• jil Bean
    3 years ago

This is the Terra Bianca, also called Fantasy Brown that was installed at my house today. I have looked at approx. 60 slabs over the last couple months and I believe that is what is pictured. it can be darker with more brown or more gray ,white with blues or greens. they are all so different. Also, It is a Hard Marble. Harder than most with quartzite and granite properties. At least that is my understanding. I am on the site today to try and find backsplash ideas.

• karin_mt
    3 years ago

There's no such thing as hard marble. All marble is way softer than quartzite or granite. Fantasy Brown is marble and is soft. That said, it's definitely lovely and if you're okay with marble, then it's a great choice.

• Rocks and stones Stones
    3 years ago

Karin, Are you saying that all marble is created equal with reguard to their mineral makeup? Do you not believe that some marble may be denser and less porous than another?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

jill, post an updated picture of your kitchen if you want some backsplash advice.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jiil Bean - Thank you. I would also like to see updated photos and close-ups of your "marble".

• jil Bean
    3 years ago

I don't have lighting yet so it is hard to get good photos. The counter is much nicer in person. Terra Bianca Leather.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very pretty, although I think it's still too gray for my needs. Obviously, the granite in my original post has more blue and tan.

• chicagoans
    3 years ago

@jil Bean: your counters are stunning! Your kitchen is beautiful. Ditto @My3dogs ME zone 5A: gorgeous counters!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

nice kitchen jill. whatever tile you do choose, I would take it all the way up around the window. it will look beautiful done like that.

your counters are more on the grayish side, so any gray, taupe, white, even a grayish blue color will work.

what do you think about Zellige tiles?

Or, look at Cloe tile

Winchester glazed tiles. many colors

jllbean another poster on houzz just finished her kitchen w/Fan. Brown countertops. she used this stile

• jil Bean
    3 years ago

Wow Beth, these are beautiful. i never thought about taking them all of the way up. thank you!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company