Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Clumps and Multiples Galore on Wednesday

shive
3 years ago

When people ask me which toothy purple is my best performer, I always say Buddy's Victoria Jade. It's the best multiplier, the tallest, and has the best bud count of any of my registered ones. Here's the proof:

This seedling, Dust Be Diamonds x Tuxedo Junction 1, looked pretty in a clump this morning.

Here's two thirds of the Odds and Ends clump:

Seminole Wind with Winter Treasure

Stenciled Infusion with five.

All American Chief with ten again. That's Rowena Yaeger on the left.

Thomas Tew with a trio

Two Sues with three on the ffo

Faberge East had five, but I could only fit four in the frame.

Roman Cohort with two and half

I'll do some singles and doubles on another post.

Debra

Comments (13)

• jen_frazier
    3 years ago

Buddy's Victoria Jade is stunning.

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Beautiful clumps! Stenciled Infusion is my favorite, with Buddy's Victoria Jade a very close 2nd. I don't remember that one, but good to note that it does so well. Faberge Easter is blooming really well here too, I really like that one, your Two Sues looks great. Mine should bloom soon

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Amazing clumps! Buddy's Victoria Jade is beautiful. I can see why you like it. Your seedling is lovely too. Of course, Two Sues always catches my eye. We have it now and we can't wait to see it.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nancy, Hoosier Nan and Jen - I've had Buddy's Victoria Jade for four seasons and have shown pictures of it each year. It is a smaller flower though, but its plant habits beat the heck out of Men in Black, Razor Sharp and Spacecoast Night Vision in my garden. I've done quite a bit of hybridizing with it, and the babies are beginning to bloom. Here's a single bloom of Victoria Jade.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Lovely clumps! Stenciled Infusion is really pretty in clump form. all American Chief is still wowing and your white seedling is so lovely. Does Thomas Tew have that dark reddish color I am seeing? Lots of beauties here!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

So nice Buddy’s Victoria Jade has good growth habits, just as important as bloom size, it’s lovely. That’s a great looking white seedling and always impressed with stenciled Infusion.

Sherry

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kate - Thomas Tew looks dark purple to my eye, but when photographed in the sun it picks up red tones in the pictures. That's typical when I photograph purples.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sherry - The near white seedling is a pretty one, but it doesn't get more than 10-11 buds in recent years. I lined some out in a different part of the yard to see if those divisions would improve. So far they're not doing any better than the main clump. When it was in the old seedling bed (before it got shady), some scapes got 18 and 19 buds. That soil there must be really great. I wish I could cut down all the neighbor's trees and go back to using that seedling bed. LOL

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

Another great post.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    3 years ago

Wow, just stunning. Buddy's Victoria Jade looks like it is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing Stenciled Infusion here this year, it's second bloom season will hopefully be great! :)

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laura - Buddy's Victoria Jade is an amazing performer. The only drawback is the flowers are small - 5.25 inches. I use it in hybridizing, hoping to get that plant habit with a flower of at least 6 inches. I hope Stenciled Infusion will have a great season in your garden!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Lots of great clumps, Debra. I especially like Two Sues, Buddy's Victoria Jade, and Odd n Ends.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Brad! Your three favorites are all terrific performers.

Debra

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths