Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_tyrrel_skees

uneven tub installation

finished bath remodel and realized the first time I took a bath that the tub was uneven. Pictures were taken and it is clearly off level. I realize this needs to be corrected but am unsure if I should have the contractor fix it (already had to completely redo the tile) or he can reimburse $$ and I have someone else repair. Any idea what this would cost? The grout is cracking along the same line as well. Your opinion is appreciated.

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You won't get money back from him so there is that. Up to you if you want him back or suck it up and pay someone else. There really is no going rate as the cost to have someone repair another contractors mess is always a crap shoot. Also that grout joint between the tub and the tile needs to be silicone. All changes of material or plane need to be 100% silicone.

• PRO
    Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
    3 years ago

I am so sorry that you have to address this. I would not have the same person out to do this repair if you have already had multiple issues with the quality of their work, but would definitely ask for a reimbursement. Please be sure to research who you hire to do any work by verifying that they are a legitimate business, registered in the state, and get a certificate of insurance directly from their insurance company, and ask for references too. I wish you the very best going forward.

Kathy Tyrrel-Skees thanked Interiors By Deborah Beaman LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Where exactly is the grout cracking ? There should be no grout between the tub and the tile.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

If the tub evacuates, you have no case.

• Kathy Tyrrel-Skees
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My mistake the sealant between the tub and tile is cracking.

• Kathy Tyrrel-Skees
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all your comments, truly appreciate it. Thank you Deborah for your concern and advice,

• Daisy S
    3 years ago

It looks like the overflow cover is crooked. You may be able to adjust that.

• Kathy Tyrrel-Skees
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes noticed the overflow is crooked as well which makes it appear worse. The contractor is going to adjust that and see if that helps the visuals. Believe me I do NOT want to take the tub out I am OVER this remodel but quite expensive for not being able to level the tub correctly.....I am hoping if the "visuals can be improved Ill be able to live with it. We'll see. Thank you for all of your comments.

• User
    3 years ago

sealant can sometimes shrink and pull away, creating cracks, but I feel like a pro could have avoided that. it can happen if the wrong kind of caulk is used (some is more prone to shrinkage than others) and/or if it's applied too thin.

if the crooked tub is not causing a structural problem, I think it's not as bad as you think. get the overflow fixed and I bet you will stop noticing after a while. but maybe get a small discount for the errors?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

the tub was just installed BF, how is it going to 'shrink and pull away' so soon? It doesn't. He didn't use enough of it, or he used grout and wiped most of it away while cleaning. (I also noticed the vertical joints have grout in them. that's also a no-no. they need caulk as well.

Kathy,

Make sure he uses the 100% silicone caulking for the tub. it won't shrink and it won't crack over time.

Kathy Tyrrel-Skees thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    3 years ago

I'll defer to the details you pointed out. as for how can a new seam pull away so quickly? it happens when the actual caulk shrinks while it dries, not from the tub settling. I've encountered it with cheap caulk, particularly silicone. it looks good at first, and then when you come back a few hours later there are all these gaps.

I'm not defending the contractor's bad job. I only meant to point it out because everybody here is assuming it's grout when it might not be. obviously the installer should fix the badly and crooked overflow. I think the rest could be lived with (but would ask for a discount).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

bf, 100% silicone caulk will not do that. a lot of the tub caulk u see are Acrylic silicone. there's a difference. that's why I always specify 100%

• User
    3 years ago

good to know for next time! back when I was fixing up my house I used all kinds and learned as I went. thankfully I was working in invisible areas so you can't see the mess I made.