Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtpo

What order do I do steps of renovation?

mtpo
3 years ago

I need to renovate parts of my nearly 20 year old condo prior to selling it. Unfortunately, our DW pooped out this month, and the microwave door cracked. DH broke a few cabinets too with wheelchair wheelies and the Formica countertops that came with the condo are outdated. So, rather than sell the condo “as is” (which looks forlorn), we decided to replace the kitchen. We will be moving into a new home. We need to do the things on the list below, but after having our current kitchen pulled out, I don’t know what order to do things in (except that I think the backsplash is last). The builder of our new house will help us out by recommending subcontractors, we’ll use the same kitchen designer and supplier as we are using for our new house, and I also have a good handyman team, but don‘t have a general contractor to oversee the renovation.

1. Pull out existing kitchen cabinets, countertops, backsplash etc and prepare walls for new cabinets, counters, sink, faucet and backsplash.

Repair kitchen drywall — repair where damaged from Step 1.

Patch and paint entire interior of condo.

Replace kitchen cabinets, countertop.

new kitchen sink and faucet installed (American Standard is not respecting the lifetime warranty on our current faucet — the finish is chipping off)

repair transitions between wood and tile floors (DH’s wheelchair cracked the raised wood strip. Don’t want to replace them and have them cracked again when new appliances are brought in).

Replace carpet on stairs to 2d floor. (All other floors are wood or tile).

Replace stove, dishwasher and microwave (microwave is over stove).

Last: New tile Backsplash in kitchen.

Seems like if I do carpet before paint, the painter could drop paint on the new carpet. If I do the reverse, the carpet installers could mess up the newly painted walls.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mtpo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bump. 😁

• julieste
    3 years ago

How long are you estimating this will take? I ask because we are undertaking something similar but even more extensive since we are also doing bathrooms and floors. This project could take quite a bit of time.

Are you sure that you are not going to tun into any mechanical/plumbing issues that need to be addressed? I'd think you'd find out about those once a tear out is done. Those things are messy, so I'd make sure that you don't have any issues there before you tackle everything else.

Are you also painting the second floor? If so, you will want to wait until the last step of the process to replace that carpeting on the stairs. It's much easier to do a quick paint touch up than to try to fix new carpet that is ruined by spilled paint. Plus, I am assuming that you have baseboards of some sort on the stairs. How do you think that you will get your baseboards painted if the carpet is already laid? Or, is your trim in good enough shape that it doesn't need to be re-painted?

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hire your Kitchen Designer first, and let them deal with the headaches of scheduling during COVID-19. A regular 8-12 week job is easily 12-16 weeks now. Add in the extra pains of condo work, and you could be 24-36 weeks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I shared a house with a carpet layer in my younger single days. He always wanted to be last man before the movers.

• mtpo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a kitchen designer. we’ll use ready made sizes — nothing custom - and her company can do countertops. Thanks for comments on stair trim. We can pull out the old carpet and get the trim painted. Joe - ty, we’ll do carpet last.

• Nancy
    3 years ago

We were selling a home a few years ago and had all the walls and baseboard painted before the carpet layers. They completely messed up the walls. Marks everywhere. I was furious since the carpet place told us to paint first. I made the carpet place pay to repaint. Just an FYI to try to make sure, that if carpet is last, they are careful of the walls.

mtpo thanked Nancy
  • mtpo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do the appliances go in last in the kitchen? DW, Range, Microwave/hood?