Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

My County Fair cucumbers from this year are getting wilt.

catherinet
3 years ago

Many years ago, I had to switch to County Fair Cucumbers because they lack the bitter gene, and don't attract cucumber beetles. I've had extremely healthy plants (grown up a trellis) and tons of cucumbers over the years, after switching to County Fair. This year, I planted some older seed (which I do because they usually always work), but some of them didn't sprout this year. So, thinking the seed was becoming too old, I ordered new seed from Jung Co. I took a couple of those seeds, and planted them where the others didn't sprout. Well today I just noticed wilt. :( I'm pretty sure they are from the new seed I used. I remember approximately where in the row I planted them. The leaves along the entire length of the stem are wilted. This is a bummer. It will take out a considerable amount of my cucumber yield. Having NEVER gotten wilt since I changed to County Fair, I'm highly suspicious of this new seed. I have written to the company, but who knows what they'll say.

Any thoughts on this? Does a seed start changing after years of being produced, so maybe this variety will no longer be wilt-free?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor