Software
Houzz Logo Print
ray_chaplin

Shutter issue with double windows

6 years ago

Hi everyone, I’m doing a small facelift to the front of my house and wanted to ask what I should do about my shutter situation. My house originally had small tacky shutters on the front double windows. I’m currently removing them and will be doing thick trim with Fypon cross heads on the windows similar to the front door.
The main issue is that after I removed the shutters from the bottom window the siding is discolored and I have a bunch of holes from whoever mounted and then remounted the shutters. I have two different options I’m trying to decide between.

  1. Do not put shutters back up, I’d probably have to replace any pieces of siding that have holes in them. It would be quite a bit of work to get them
    In. The other siding I have had faded somewhat so any new pieces would be noticeable until it hopefully fades as well. Residing the entire front isn’t an option right now.

  2. Caulk the holes in the siding and put shutters on. I would make my own board and batten shutters and use hardware to make them look operable. I like shutters but my main issue is that the front windows are 30” wide double windows. If I made shutters that are architecturally correct (could cover the window)they would be huge and in my opinion overtake the front of the house. The other idea I have for this is to make them 1/2 the width of the window and make them look like hinged double shutters even if it’s a fake look.

If anyone has any design advice on another way to cover the siding I’d love to hear it. Or let me know what you would do in this situation.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments (13)

  • 6 years ago

    "I would make my own board and batten shutters and use hardware to make them look operable. I like shutters but my main issue is that the front windows are 30” wide double windows."


    Patch the holes with a silicone caulk as close as a match as possible and be done with it. The siding will fade out to the same color fairly quickly and from the street the caulk will not be obvious.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have built custom shutters and they turned out really well for a house we renovated. They were about the same color as my fence in my] profile (just added). I will try to post the pic of shutter later today. So, these shutters were just an accent and even though they were undersized for the window, they still looked very sharp. The stained cedar look might not fit your property, but I do not think you have to worry about the size (as in non-functional). I'll go for a walk and take a picture of them soon.

  • 6 years ago

    If you’re going to replace the shutters, don’t do board and batten; they don’t really fit the style of the house. What would look better is either solid, paneled shutters like you have now, or louvered shutters (mock or operable).

  • 6 years ago

    Milkwork man - that’s what I really should do, unfortunately I’m one of those guys that noticed little small stuff like that even though no one else does. I did order some caulk that should be the same color. If it isn’t that bad I’ll proceed without shutters. The good thing is the holes right next to the window will be covered by the trim so it will only be a few that need patching.

  • 6 years ago

    here's a sample.

  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful house coffee dude! Those shutters definitely add a nice charm. If do shutters they will be painted the same color as the front door, stained cedar wouldn’t look right on my house.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What about amping up the moldings. You have a large fancier trimwork around the slider to the left and then these small trims on the windows. I would beef up all the window trims. I would also paint the sidelights on the front door so it matches. It will give more presence to that as well. If you do put shutters back up they just need to be wider. Not enough to cover the windows but 3-6" wider than what they are now - and n all the windows - not just the top ones.

    Good luck! Post follow up pictures!

  • 6 years ago

    The above pic is nice, is that doable though?

  • 6 years ago

    Window Genius, what exactly do you mean by “doable”. That’s the after picture so it’s already done!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    If there is enough space for a realistic size shutter, I'm seeing more and more "barn door" hardware used at the top



  • 6 years ago

    Ray, great job, love the trim, it looks very nice.

  • 2 years ago

    The use of barn door hardware is really interesting! Looks great. May have to ‘steal’ that idea!