Software
Houzz Logo Print
cherij50

Mixing white spring granite with a quartz for island??

6 years ago

I have wood toned cabinets with white spring granite. The island has a wooden top that is too red. I want to change the island to quartz. In order to lighten the kitchen and leave the counters the same granite, what color would you recommend? What kind of lighting should I use for the pendants? Would it look good to paint the island a creamy color, add creamy colored subway tile, and change the island top to a quartz?

Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago

    You don’t want to just refinish the wood top to a lighter stain?

  • 6 years ago

    I would either refinish your wood top or choose a solid color quartz or Corian to complement your granite, probably a creamy white. There is so much movement in your granite counters (they are so pretty!), that I would not want to compete with that.

  • 6 years ago

    I personally don’t like mixing quartz with stone. Maybe consider a honed or leathered black granite for the island and leave everything else as is. You could do a new backsplash that omits the feature over the stove as well....

  • 6 years ago

    I just saw your question about lighting. I actually like your pendants and I think they work in your kitchen. But I would install a few more recessed lights and under cabinet lighting if you don’t already have it.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all so much for your comments.

  • 6 years ago

    I wondered about black for the island top, but I am trying to lighten everything. If I chose a tile backsplash that coordinated with the creamy color in the granite, would that accomplish that? Would you paint the island a creamy white, too?

  • 6 years ago

    The island top has a red undertone, so it was hard to get rid of that.

  • 6 years ago

    If you paint the island a creamy white then I could see a solid creamy white quartz paired with it. The darker the quartz (if completely solid - which you would want to do to pair well w your granite) is more susceptible to showing scratches and abrasions. I also think you should paint the small wood strip behind the hood to match the wall as that is visually distracting

  • 6 years ago

    Also, if you are on a budget, one thing you could consider is having an antiqued mirror made to fill the accent area over the range (keep just the pencil edge and hide the decorative frame and middle)....a good glass shop could do it with a polished edge installed right over the tile. If budget isn’t a concern then an entirely new backsplash with no decorative feature would be great.

  • 6 years ago

    I could see a cement or cement colored island top, as there is lots of gray in your granite. It would be a transitional shade; not as dark as black but not so light as creamy white, which would be a big departure from the earthy wood tones in your room. I could then see the island painted a coordinating shade (gunmetal? could even be a bit metallic to add some depth). I also agree to remove or paint the wall feature. I think the rest of the backsplash has nice tones, so I think painting the feature could work! You'd see the texture but not have such a focal point there, instead it would be the hood intself, which is lovely. I also think the lights still work. Good luck!