Software
Houzz Logo Print
allison_hadley76

Wall paint to downplay yellow/gold travertine flooring

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our new home has travertine throughout, I love the material but the color is just more yellow than I’d like, what color recommendations can you all give? I prefer lighter, a greige or tan, cream etc would be great! LOTS of natural lighting.

In additio, what color would you recommend for caBinet paint?!

This photo Is NOT our furniture, we plan to purchase new sectional or sofa so I would take color recommendations on furniture as well!






Comments (24)

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Simply White, Benjamin Moore OC-117. It's a very neutral white and will make the house feel fresher and brighter.


    For the cabinets, I'd pick a warm color e.g. a terracotta or brick red.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, love the wall color! What other colors would you recommend on cabinets? Blues/grays or lighter opposed to reds/orange?

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Nope. Blues/grays will not work with those yellow-y floors, IMO. Either paint them white like the walls, or look at the colors I suggested. You could look at a brownish-taupe (rather than a gray taupe), but I don't think that would work as well.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It depends on whether you want a room where all colors are harmonious or one with contrast. I vote for contrast. You have dramatic floors and architecture, so why play it safe? Go for bold! If you go with all neutrals, it will just look like you're afraid of color.

    Blue and yellow (or gold) has always been a great combo for contrast, and I could see a sofa in a deep or muted cornflower blue. Navy would work also! Then have chairs or loveseat upholstered in prints that incorporate both yellow/gold and whatever blue you go with - could be florals, paisley, plaid, or abstract, but I'd go larger scale with the patterns, since the floor is rather dramatic. Add pillows and decorative accents in both colors and, if you want to add another color for accent pieces, you could go with olive or sage green. In fact, a very pale green that leans slightly toward yellow would work as a wall color, too.

  • 6 years ago

    Id prefer to keep the walls lighter and neutral and add color with the furniture, Navy is a definite couch color option. Walls and cabinets are my BIG delima right now though.

  • 6 years ago

    Travertine does have a pink undertone and that’s actually what I see too. I think the gold walls are making the situation worse. I have travertine in a large bathroom and I actually ignored it and called it neutral. Used a tan woven wallpaper, brown cabinets and a large oriental rug with lots of colors in it. It takes the focus away from the floors. I would think gray would work with the travertine but I’m not a gray person so I didn’t try it.

  • 6 years ago

    I LOVE the rug!! I prefer to try to keep the walls lighter? What would you recommend as a lighter wall color and a cabinet color

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I missed the idea of yours to have a navy couch. Just be careful as to what you choose because dark blues range in different tones.







    B.M. Bunny Gray for walls.





  • 6 years ago

    I LOVE all this! The blue cabinets are amazing, can I get away with blue bottom and white top?

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Yes, you can!


    All the blue will become dominate and the floor a bit more incidental.



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    When I suggested navy for your sofa, I hadn't thought about it for your kitchen cabinets (since you said you wanted suggestions for LR furniture colors, I had focused on that) -- but yes! Navy or indigo cabinets would look awesome in your kitchen, especially with lighter creamy walls! I would go with blue for both top and bottom cabinets.

  • 6 years ago

    Creams and blues! Just don’t go too white, will look best as a creamier color.

    The wall color undertone is fighting with the floor.

  • 6 years ago

    I've had travertine floors. Choose a warm white for the walls, and you can use white, taupe, greens, or greenish blues for other colors. If you like greens, a neutral tone will work well with the floors. Stay away from cool colors (including cool blues) and cold grays.

  • 6 years ago


    Contemporary Kitchen with Casual Dining · More Info


  • 6 years ago


    SW Antique White walls. I just tossed on SW Urbane Bronze on the cabinets





  • 6 years ago

    OMG Melissa, it’s like night and day!! I LOVE the first rug! How did you do this?!

  • 6 years ago

    paint on SW site and then the rug was rugsusa

  • 6 years ago

    Wow, fantastic and you make that dark heavy furniture disappear!! Thank you, I love that look!! 😍

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like that rug in the bottom picture. The bolder, more contrasting, more delineated design or pattern works best. Pale rugs with muted or faded patterns won't do much for this room. It already has drama, so highlight it. Playing it too safe won't do much good here.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    As others have mention, BM Simply White will look really nice. Paint the cabinets the same color (obviously in a different finish). Choose a nice neutral wool rug and a cream or flax-colored sofa and you're on your way to a really lovely home! Accent with plants, maybe a bit of rattan. Focus more on varied textures than introducing a lot of color. Lovely!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    If you really want to consider blue/gray for the cabinets, maybe buy a sample can of Farrow & Ball Parma Gray. Paint a poster board with it and place it on the floor against the cabinets, next to the fridge, and see what you think. White is always a safe bet, and then you can introduce color with a potted plant or some pretty pottery.

  • 6 years ago

    Great recommendations thank you!

  • 4 years ago

    Hi there , since this is an old post could you show some pictures of what you needed up using.
    I’m struggling myself with travertine floors, dark cabinets and busy granite countertops