canyonwind

FOTESS OCTOBER~~~SOUPS ON~~~

canyonwind

FOTESS OCTOBER……”SOUPS ON”

Happy Fall to all!!

I, for one, am ready for cooler weather. The crisp Evenings, the gentle winds, the warmth of the crackling fireplace and the scent of pine and rustic wood are so very welcoming. And Cooler weather brings on hearty, comfort soup. So…..Yes, this month will be as easy as soup!!

For your partner……..

*send direct to your partner, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com), 2 packets of seeds that would be delicious in a homemade soup. Herbs or vegetables or beans or ??????.

AND

*send to your partner via EMAIL or HOUZZ PM, a SOUP RECIPE that turns you on or one that you have on your list to make.

No one will have to go to the Post Office or put a stamp(s) on an envelope.

*Sign up by October 7

*Partners posted October 8

*Let’s try and have the seeds and soup recipes delivered to partners by October 26. My last order from Baker Creek took about a week to receive, so keep that in mind.

GAMES…..

The Preakness Stakes (Horse Race) will be running on Saturday, October 3

When you sign up to swap, please pick a horse. At this time 11 horses are in the running. If you pick a horse that is scratched….sorry. As each person picks a horse….put your name next to the horses name and carry the entire list down, so that the next person knows what horses have been chosen and what is still up for grabs. I doubt that there will be 11 FOTESSERS swapping as things have been rather slow on HOUZZ…..so on Friday night, depending on how many people have signed up, I will have my beloved Black Lab choose an additional horse for those that have signed up. I have to leave Saturday Morning and will not return until Monday night, so I have to move quickly here.

The HORSES…2020 PREAKNESS STAKES

1. Excession
  2. Mr. Big News
  3. Art Collector
  4. Swiss Skydiver
  5. Thousand Words
  6. Jesus’ Team
  7. NY Traffic
  8. Max Player
  9. Authentic
  10. Pneumatic
  11. Live Your Beast Life

GOOD LUCK…..Prizes WIN, PLACE and SHOW

As well, we will be playing BINGO. I will try to get that up before I leave. If not, I will post that after I return.

Happy Evening! Happy October……………..BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Annie

• Melinda Hagen

https://www.facebook.com/100009389346338/posts/2785823675073917/ 

This is he tomato basil soup recipe I received from Urooj!

Enjoy!

• jdmom78

Melinda, I couldn't click your link so i will post the recipe here for you....

Rich and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients - Servings = 4

4 medium whole (2-3/5" dia) tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced
    4 cups tomato juice
    14 leaves fresh basil
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    ½ cup butter
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Step 1
    Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.

Step 2
    Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.

• pinkiris

49. I am ready for Christmas LOL!

1. Chucky, the Notorious Killer Doll day
  • canyonwind

Good Morning/Afternoon FOTESSERS,

I just checked my mailbox......mail has arrived from Jayeanne.

Wonderful selection of seeds from Baker Creek! And you were far to generous!!

*Leek Bulgarian Giant

*Eggplant Turkish Orange

*Melon Madhu Ras Rajasthan Honey

*Pepper Chiltepin Wild Chile

*Lettuce Tennis Ball

*Kohlrabi Early Purple Vienna

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

*******************************************

I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO

Four Fetches today......Bad winds here and the fires may be starting soon For three days, we have been notified that power where I live might be turned off because of possible fires. So in case I can not get on the good old internet, four fetches from Black Lab Baby J....just for you! BINGO anybody?

33. Split Pea With Ham Soup

14. "I'm a witch everyday, not just for Halloween"- Unknown

8. "A first- rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting."- Abraham Maslow

25. National Speak Up For Service Day (Oct 30)

*************************************

SOUPS ON Partners.....

Wonderful, all soup recipes have been posted. Thank you!! I am so looking forward to making these, and I will make all of them. I think I have all the "seeds received" up to date. If I have missed anyone, please call me on it.

*Melinda sends to Urooj- SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Urooj sends to Melinda - SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Mandy sends to Nicole-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Nicole sends to Mandy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jeanne sends to Shirley-SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Shirley sends to Jeanne - SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jayeanne sends to Annie-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Annie sends to Jayeanne-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Susan N sends to Amy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Amy sends to Susan N--SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Ruth sends to Emily-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Emily sends to Ruth-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*

*****************************************

Oh my, a fire has started in the canyon.........and with the winds and the dry brush, not good. It is moving out of the forest in to populated areas. No threat to me but they are evacuating certain areas. Prayers for all of those people and there homes. I always have a bag packed with dog food, water and a few other items....just in case.

Happy day!!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen

Thank you, Urooj!! Don't know why didn't work! Gonna make this soon! Now cool weather is here! Sure will love it! Have great day!

• Melinda Hagen

Forgot my guesses:

Ghouls and goblins

Navy day

• gardengirl37232

Stay safe, Annie! Just when I thought wildfire season may be over.

18. Chucky, The Notorious Killer Doll Day (Oct 25)

46. Candy corn

• ruthz

Urooj, that recipe is very similar to the one I use except I use canned tomatoes. I love it with that fresh basil and creamy taste.

Annie, I always think about all you and all our other gardening friends out there when I see the news with those horrible fires. Prayers for all.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Prayers. Stay safe Annie!

• amybabyboy3

Susan, On my end it says seeds were delivered on October 20th. I am hoping I didn't type the address wrong, Did you receive them yet?

• canyonwind

Our Little Bingo Game.....

Jayeanne, Emily and Melinda......BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ.......on your Monday guesses.

Moving on to Tuesday guesses.

Here is a clue......the two BINGO selections I am looking for, have been chosen already by those of you who have been playing this little BINGO game. They just have not been chosen by the same person in one guess. Pick the two selections that no one chose on there BINGO cards.....get to it girls. You know you can do it....LOL!

Off to watch a movie.....Night, Night!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose

41.Put COVID aside...Stop and smell the roses and the SOUP

• gardengirl37232
    1. National Vodka Day (Oct 4)

1. Candy corn
  • Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Amy sorry I did not get the seeds.

• amybabyboy3

Susan, I sent you a message with tracking and delivery info. I will reorder in a day or two if you do not receive them. I am sorry! Amy

• canyonwind

Amy and Susan, keep me posted on the missing/lost seed order. I hope it turns up.

*******************************

No BINGO yet, so we shall continue.......

I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO

Visiting Golden Retrievers tonight had fetching duties.......Cheers and Dreamy

did the honors. Took them a while to get the hang of it but Annie had treats to entice them....good girls!!

11.National Vodka Day (Oct 4)

***************************************

And our little BINGO game

Jeanne and Emily.....BUZZ....BUZZ (Tuesday guesses)

A clue for Wednesday........

4.....yes that is all you get.......4........LOL!

********************************************

Tata,

Annie

• pinkiris

44. Witche's Brew Black Sangria

11. National Vodka Day (Oct 4)

• Melinda Hagen

I received my great seeds from Urooj!

Roma tomato

Emily basil

People Vienna kohl rahi

Thanks so much!!

• jdmom78

i tried to post yesterday but i guess it got lost....

glad you got the seeds Melinda. seems like we are all going to be planting kohlrabi this year. lol

still no bingo. little doggie has not pulled any of my words in a long time.

• jdmom78

Let me try this again...

Ruth, sometimes we do use canned tomatoes. most of the time its fresh tomatoes and my husband has taught my daughter to boil them and then put them in ice to remove the peel and then cook them. its quite a messy process on the day we make this soup. also we don't use as much tomato juice as the recipe calls for. definitely more tomatoes and less juice for a more hearty soup.

Susan has motivated me to try decoupage... here is what i bought from Ikea to organize my seeds. one for seeds and gardening supplies and the other for pens, pencils etc... I will use the pressed flower paper i purchased in thailand on my honeymoon in 2001 for this project. wish me luck.

also saved some orchids from Kroger a few days back... lets see if they make it... i had been on the lookout for some new ones since my greenhouse debacle this summer. im up to 4 now. these 3 i just purchased and 1 orange one that my brother bought me when he came to visit back in september.

its super cold here this week and i have not picked the final bunch of items off of my plants. i hope they survive the week until i go back outside... i had some melons on the vine, and a few tomatoes finally...

p.s. you have to click the pictures to see the full pictures.

• gardengirl37232

44. Witche's Brew Black Sangria

1. Candy corn
  • bluee19

Happy Wednesday Everyone. I am looking forward to making some of these soups since the weather has been cooler. Great idea Miss Annie for our swap this month!!

My guesses for today:

15.Evaluate Your Life Day (Oct 19)

39.Old World Peasant Soup

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Amy sorry about the delayed response. I just saw your message and my address is correct. I am going to the post office during my lunch break tomorrow to see if they can help track down the seeds. This is not your fault at all so please don't feel badly about it. I know my husband goes to the mailbox faithfully every day and brings me all my mail and I haven't received anything. I don't know what could have happened with them. I will keep you posted with what I find out.

• canyonwind
    yesterday

Good Morning/Afternoon FOTESSERS,

Whoops...did not make it on here yesterday,,,,,

SOUPS ON PARTNERS

Looks like Jeanne and Shirley have yet to receive there seeds from Baker Creek and Susan's seeds are MIA. Susan, let us know what you find out at the PO.

*Urooj sends to Melinda - SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Amy sends to Susan N--SEEDS ORDERED/MIA, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

****************************************

I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO

Four fetches today from Baby J....just for you.

39. Old World Peasant Soup

44. Witche's Brew Black Sangria

38. Navy Day (Oct 27)

49. I am ready for CHRISTMAS...LOL!!

************************************************

Our Little Bingo Game

Jayeanne, Emily and Nicole......BUZZ....BUZZ....BUZZ on Wednesday guesses.

Clue....one of these was guessed yesterday but 1 was not

*****************************

Annie

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    yesterday

Look what finally made its way to my mailbox today!!! I called the post office this morning and they said they didn’t find anything but suddenly my package appeared. Hmmmmm. Thank you Amy for the wonderful basil and thyme seeds! I look forward to growing my them and more wonderful soups with fresh herbs in fall of 2021.

• pinkiris
    yesterday

BINGO

• canyonwind
    yesterday

WOW.....Jayeanne that was fast!! Congrats!! Everyone check your BINGO cards. If anyone else has BINGO, PLEASE call it. You will win as well!

Susan, very interesting......mysteriously the package arrived.....HHHHHHHMMMMM, your not kidding! I am glad you finally received.

• pinkiris
    yesterday

LOL ... thankful for notifications haha ... have been waiting on one number and saw it was called.

• canyonwind
    yesterday

FOTESSERS, don't forget to sign up to host during for the coming year....2021. It is just around the corner. Ruth and I have signed up........come on FOTESSERS......you can do it. If you have not hosted before, don't over think it....just have fun!! LINK below!!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6007710/fotess-hostess-sign-ups-for-2021#n=3

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    yesterday

Thanks for posting that reminder, Annie.

Annie, if it's okay with you and Shirley, if Shirley hasn't received her seeds by Saturday I will send seeds from a local garden/feed store the following week. I just don't understand how both Shirley and I had problems with Baker Creek this time. I don't even know if they charged for the seeds or not, but the seeds were ordered weeks ago. I'll be sure to check my credit card bill to see what they did. The emails they sent to me did nothing but confuse me. If the garden/feed store doesn't have seeds, I'll send some from my at home collection.

• gardengirl37232
    yesterday

Congratulations, Jayeanne!

• gardengirl37232
    yesterday
    1. Candy corn

1. I am ready for Christmas...LOL!!
  • jdmom78
    yesterday

good job jayeanne. baby J is not pulling my bingo words. we need to have a little talk...

• bluee19
    yesterday

I need one more bingo word, come on doggies!!

congrats Jayene!!

happy Friday eve!!

• canyonwind
    yesterday

Jeanne, no problem!! Do what works for you!! And Shirley, do what works for you as well.

BINGO is over.....no more fetching by Baby J. In my earlier post, I was telling you to check your BINGO cards as there very might be more than one winner after I posted 4 fetches for today. I have not checked all of your BINGO cards to see if there are other winners. I will take a look later.

Our Little BINGO Game....Emily....BUZZ. Today, you are worse off than you were yesterday....LOL! You can guess again today.

• amybabyboy3
    yesterday

Susan, yay I am happy they arrived. I saw on my order that one was out of stock but I am glad those made it and I hope you can use them in your soup!

• pinkiris
    yesterday

ANNA VANNA .... so glad you dont give the farm away LOL .... baby J wouldnt have a place to sleep or fetch BINGO .... LOL!

been doing cleanup after this tropical storm ravaged through, so thankful we are OK here and didnt loose power, so many folks south and north of us, have no power right now

Ill guess ....

44. Witche's Brew Black Sangria

14. Im a witch everyday, not just for Halloween - unkown

• canyonwind
    yesterday

Jayeanne...Ding...Ding...Ding...you guessed correctly. You win a prize...two prizes in one day.

• gardengirl37232
    yesterday

Congratulations, again, Jayeanne! Looks like you are the big winner today!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Congratulations Jayeanne and everyone else that won bingo! I was sooo close with just one word to go.

Amy, thanks again for the seeds. They are perfect. I use herbs in my cooking and in my tea recipes that I am always experimenting with. These will both work nicely in my soups and in my teas. I have vowed to grow herbs in the garden so that I don't have so many problems with deer and other critters. This year I was constantly battling the ground hogs, squirrels, deer and rabbits in my vegetable garden. Even though the backyard area is fenced, the still find a way. The advantage of growing herbs is they don't seem to care for them. So I am looking very much forward to a nice herb and flower cutting garden next year.

For everyone experiencing the weather issues across the country, I pray that things will get better on that front soon. The wildfires have been awful and this hurricane season has been one of the most active on record. Many places that don't usually have snow or at least have snow this early are getting significant amounts...it has been crazy. And we all know someone or have family members affected by this awful virus, Covid 19. I pray that all will be well, for healing and strength for everyone, for our nation, and for our world.

Annie, you are an amazing hostess and this month was so much fun! Thank you for being a bright spot in an otherwise scary October. You always make me smile!

On that note, I am going to join the thousands of Americans in saying I can't wait for this year to be over....and perhaps may break my traditions and start decorating for Christmas early...like tomorrow early...lol.

Stay safe everyone and be well !!!

• pinkiris
    22 hours ago

thanks ladies, and thank YOU Annie for a such a FUN month!

• canyonwind
    21 hours ago

Susan, I am with you as far as decorating early for Christmas. I have decorated in November a few years in the past. People thought I was nuts......not my problem...LOL! It was done and enjoyed until January.....end of story. Susan, maybe I will start decorating tomorrow, "Halloween"......thank you for the inspiration.

Question for you ladies in the Southern states.....Amy, Jeanne, Jayeanne, Ruth, Urooj etc....

I get Farmers Almanac updates every day....tells you what to plant, what not to do etc.....It gives dates in November to plant corn. Have any of you ever planted corn in November? or Cucumbers? I know not one person who gardens out here that has planted corn or cucumbers here in October or November. Just curious!!!

***********************************************

Game prizes for the month of October......

Emily WIN...The Preakness

Jeanne PLACE and SHOW...The Preakness

Emily....Annie Goes To Costco WINNER

Jayeanne....I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO WINNER

Jayeanne...Our Little BINGO Game WINNER

Did I forget anyone????? I will get prizes out when I do...LOL! I will let you WINNERS know when that happens.

Congratulations! Thanks FOTESSERS for playing these sometimes corny games. Corny is good.....it keeps us sane and happy....well, I think so!!

**************************************************

Maybe today or tomorrow, Jeanne and Shirley will receive there seeds......fingers crossed.

So sorry, that many of you had issues with Baker Creek.

Happy day!!

Annie

• pinkiris
    21 hours ago

Annie ... I was just thinking of trying cucumbers again just to see what will happen, they seem to enjoy cooler weather, here anyways. I actually have newer tomato plants out there just planted not long ago and they are flowering. will try and get a photo ... the plants are not as big as they would be when it is warmer.

found this guy out in the garden today

• gardengirl37232
    20 hours ago

Annie, thanks for a super fun month! I am a little late but planning to get my fall garden set up this weekend and plant some of those nice seeds that Ruth sent, including the kohlrabi that we all got!

• ruthz
    19 hours ago

I don't plant corn at all. I think I'd need a lot more room. I do grow cucumbers but have never planted them in fall. I do still have vines with cucumbers on them.

• jdmom78
    17 hours ago

i have never planted cucumbers in november. i dont winter garden but have considered it since we dont have harsh winters.

went to check my plants today and everything is fine and doing well. no frost. the tomatoes are happy happy. they are the one from spring who came back in the fall.

i will try corn. i have space for a few stalks. i have space for cucumbers too. i may just do it all. should i throw the seeds in the ground or are we doing seedlings indoors for this?

annie, we had a great time. loved the games! super creative. is November posted yet? i signed up for April for next year!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 hours ago

I can't imagine corn or cucumbers making it as a fall crop here. We have a night time temperature low of 37 degrees forecast in the next few days. I have had pepper plants survive most of the winter but that's because I keep them potted and in the garage for most of the winter and they are already mature sized plants.

I picked some Mexican Midget tomatoes today but I don't expect any more to be able to ripen. I really did start them too late this year. The other tomatoes that did well for this year were German Lunchbox. They didn't have quite long enough, but I picked a few ripe ones and they were delicious! The thing I noticed about planting late is that my tomato plants had no diseases and no pest problems. That is very unusual here. I have basil that is growing in containers but even in the garage they won't make it much longer.

Okay, an update on the seeds. Shirley mailed an envelope with Baker Creek seeds directly to me and the receipts. Shirley, the free seed packet and the Giant Musselburgh Leeks were intended for you, You are listed as the shipping address and sent by me (my billing address). I will send them back to you and include another packet if I can buy one ... or from my choices here at home. Anyway, from Baker's Creek - by way of Shirley - I received Chinese Pink Celery and Sunburst Heliopsis which looks perfect for my garden. Thank you so much! I will return the other 2 to you and add another pack so you have 2 packs and the free seeds. I am going to assume that by now the other 2 packs I ordered for you never got processed. (I ordered them after it looked like only 1 purchased pack and 1 free pack were being processed.) So sorry there is all the confusion.

As for the leeks, I have made a delicious creamed soup with leaks and potatoes. I can't find a recipe that I used though. Perhaps I just added what I had on hand. They do make a delicious soup!

Annie, thanks for being hostess. You did a fantastic job, as usual.

• amybabyboy3
    15 hours ago

Annie, I have not planted corn in the Fall but our pool guy said now is the time to plant corn and tomatoes. Thank you for a fun month of swapping! Take care, Amy

• brittneysgran
    14 hours ago

Jeanne Bakers Creek sent me your seeds so I did turn around and sent them out to you. I didn't order the onions but that was what they sent so I added some flower seeds in the pkg I had ordered awhile back.

Annie thanks for a fun month, you always have an awesome swap.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 hours ago

Shirley, you have sent everything you need to me so it's all fine. Thank you. I will re-send the leeks and the free seeds and will include another pack so you will have the 2 bought packages and the free ones that Baker Creek included. How did we manage to get so many bumps in the road? I guess it was a "trick" for Halloween!