Software
Houzz Logo Print
jannetnguyen

Calling all MCM enthusiasts! Help for stone, siding and trim colour

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are renovating our mid-century modern bungalow and want to honour the style of the house but also give it a modern refresh. We will be capping the front landing and brick stairs with concrete slabs in a natural concrete colour, and replacing the white railings with minimal black iron banister and rails. Looking for ideas on how to reduce 'pink' in the stone, perhaps limewashing/staining the stone to a light grey and go with a darker siding? or perhaps changing soffit and fascia to brown colour to match the front door and garage doors, to help bring out the darker tones in the stone? Windows won't be replaced anytime soon so we are stuck with the white window trim. Would love your ideas and prioritizing as we are on a budget and want the best bang for our buck. Thanks in advance!











Comments (12)

  • 5 years ago

    Striking house. Have you already talked to a stone mason about changes to the stairs that will meet current building and safety codes?

    jannetnguyen thanked apple_pie_order
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    cool house!

    I'd be tempted to do a sheer charcoal over the stones, to tone down the pink while also toning down the contrast. or if you were unsure, darkening just the pink stones only. start with a less noticeable area and see if you like the effect. you can always limewash over that if you don't like it.

    I love your door. suggest painting the trim white, and choose a bold pop of color for the door. once the pink rocks are toned down, you could choose just about anything for that front door.

    I like your idea of the black iron railing, that will look amazing.

    jannetnguyen thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    Please do not do anything to alter the color of the stone or paint over it. That is arguably the most unique feature of your house and future owners will thank you for not making any permanent changes. My suggest is to embrace the stone colors and paint your siding and trim I’m complementary shades. I realize that cool grays and black are trendy right now but not every house supports that.
    I don’t think the brick steps will be a loss and if you want a more modern feel, I’d go with dark trim around the windows and along the roof, something like a dark brown or bronze. Replacing the front door with a painted one with some windows would add some contemporary flair as well and you could look to do something different with the railings on the steps.

    jannetnguyen thanked Jesse Nicholson
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Since you have white vinyl windows I would paint it all white. That will simplify the overall scheme and highlight the stone. I would also paint the wood colored trim on the door- keep just the door wood colored.

    jannetnguyen thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Thanks for the comments, everyone! No, I have not contacted a stone mason about building code. As existing stair foundation seems solid, thought to just cap with concrete slabs to keep costs down, make the stairs sturdier and reduce the redness. I like the idea of painting trim along roof a dark brown. Should I do all the window trims too, or would white trim help give depth? Pinkness of stone will hopefully be reduced with new stair colour and darker trim - staining stones will be last resort because of cost and keeps character and interest (to Jesse's point). Any one know how expensive/difficult it is to paint fascia trim along room and soffit? Or is it better to just replace?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think if you just tone down the grout, the stone will look fabulous as is. Maybe a grey or greige will do it. It would be a meticulous undertaking to make that happen but if you're like me when I've been renovating houses, when I don't have the money I have to find the time. Look at the difference changing the mortar made in this discussion https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6003264/tuck-pointing-fireplace-to-change-mortar-color#n=7 The OP went a different direction from you, black mortar to lighter but you can see the change in the stone color once the mortar is changed. I think you should try a sample spot and see if it reduces the pink. IMO, the pink is totally mid century, so I think you should in no way paint that stone.

    jannetnguyen thanked tozmo1
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Yes, the white piping mortar is a huge sticking point for my husband. Given the effort required, we will try all else before attempting to remove - and agree with you tozmo1, will try to keep the stone - pink and all.

  • 5 years ago

    I hope your house is just as fun on the inside. I absolutely love the roofline!

    jannetnguyen thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    @jannetnguyen just to be clear, I was recommending painting or staining the existing mortar rather than replacing it. That's what the poster wound up doing in the link i included. Good luck!

    jannetnguyen thanked tozmo1
  • 5 years ago

    I didn't notice that grout before, that is a bummer but if it's very porous it may be tedious but not impossible to stain. The soffit and roof flashing look to be aluminum which means that can be painted. Not as nice as factory finish but not the end of the world. Id leave the soffits as is before painting them. I had the same dilemma (although mine are Hardie) and I went with an off white paint on them with dark bronze fascia. If the windows really are vinyl as someone pointed out, it isn't impossible to paint them. I would recommend a product called Plastic and Vinyl NT which is an XIM product. I've used it on my vinyl windows which haven't be replaced yet and it works great.

    jannetnguyen thanked Jesse Nicholson
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    DO NOT touch the stone use a color from the stone for the siding and I have no idea what the issue would be with the railing and I hoestly see little of the pink so not an issue and IMO the nicest part of the house to honour the style

    jannetnguyen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting