admiirny

Windows in garage

admiirny

I am building a new home and want to get some ideas about windows in the garage.

Typically, windows are not added to the garage due to privacy issues but I am not concerned about that.

I have added arrows to where I wanted to place windows but its tough to envision this without actually seeing it.

In the back of the garage, I would add (2) symmetrical windows. And then on the right side of the garage, I would add (1) window parallel to the side service door.

Any ideas/suggestions?

• houssaon

I have a window in my garage and I like it. Lots of time I go in there to get lawn equipment and don't want to have to turn on the light. Even just getting into the car, it is helpful. I also have windows on my garage door.

• arcy_gw

I don't think it's privacy issues, it's safety is why garages got away from windows. We have one on each side. They certainly add a a nice aesthetic for the street view. But then I see people who feel the need to hang curtains!! I've never been in the garage w/o the lights one so not really thinking they are necessary. Maybe if the walls are finished and painted white one wouldn't feel the need to turn on the lights but I doubt it.

Need window treatments for garage windows

Joanne, I would be interested in possibly using something like that, but I am concerned that the rest of the windows in the house facade would not match the window film; it might not looked balanced with only the garage windows having that treatment and not the rest of the house. I will probably put some window treatments on the far left windows on the ground floor at some later date, but these windows are in my music studio/living room type of room and film treatment would not be useful in that room. Also do you know if this film would be hard to remove, if we do not like it, or choose something else in a few more years? Does it damage the windows when removed? Also, where is this film available to see examples of it in a photo, online? Would this product be something I order through my decorator? Or an auto shop(per Lambert Dias Architects)? Thank you!

Brick versus stucco trim around windows and garage

The left side will be stucco; the middle and under porch stone and the right side will have stone in the middle and stucco on the outer side.

brick vs stucco trim for windows and garage

Trying to decide between brick and stucco for trim around our windows and garage. See below for picture of the front of our house. The garage is on the right side and is a 3 car garage (2 together and 1 separate door). The left side of the front of the house is stucco; middle is stone as well as under porch; right center is stone and surrounding is stucco. Builder usually does stucco trim around eyebrow window and does brick trim elsewhere, but I like both. Can't decide. HELP!

Match PVC fence to siding, windows or garage? Sigh...help

I would suggest uploading some images of your home'screen exterior. without seeing any imades, my gut reaction would be to go with white pvc for the fence.
  • admiirny

Any suggestions on the placement of windows that I labeled in the photo?

I was thinking about adding two windows to the rear of garage and then one to the right side where the service door is.

I am not sure if the door alone on the right side would look odd so that’s why I was thinking of adding a window on that side but not sure.

but definitely two in the back of garage.

• pds290

I love having windows in my garage. They let in light and provide better ventilation if I’m working on something that needs it. That said, it is how someone broke into my garage not long ago, taking a number of tools.

RES2

Unless you spend a lot of time in your garage the reason to add windows is to improve the exterior appearance. To judge that requires exterior photos.

• deb s

windows limit the amount of storage space in the garage -- so think through your storage solutions before you take up space with a window

• bpath

Why is the man-door right next to the garage door? Do you think you'd like it further back, to provide access to the best yard? In that case, you could have a window in the door and eliminate one of the windows.

Three windows seems a bit excessive in a garage but they will provide plenty of light.

Whether and where to place windows, and how to treat them, also depends on your exterior and where your neighbors are. We have a blind on the window that faces the neighbor's yard because their house sits higher than ours and I'm sure they don't want to see our mess over the fence. But the windowed door to the back yard, we left uncovered.

• admiirny

I mean I can put the man door anywhere but wouldn’t it be better to be close to the driveway? I don’t park my cars in the garage and plan on using that door to enter/exit

• bpath

What are you planning to put in the 3-car garage, if not cars?

• patriceny

You've got a 3 car garage and don't plan to park any cars in it?

• admiirny

Complete home gym. Was originally going to do it in the basement but have other plans

• patriceny

Wow, lucky you. :) I put a treadmill in the basement and called it good.

I'd still try to figure out how to get at least one car in there, that's a huge garage! But regardless, yes, if you're going to be using the space you'll want/need windows. My garage is 24x30 and we put in windows exactly as you propose. Only downside is they get dirty a lot but it's still worth it.

• bpath

Ah, so it's not a garage. In that case, have windows that enhance the exterior and work with the placement of your equipment.

• functionthenlook

I don't see any problem with the window placement in the garage. I've always had windows in a garage. Home windows are just as easy to break into as garage windows. I would make sure they are high enough so if you ever do use it as a garage you have room under them for a work bench and enough wall space to hang tools and put maybe a extra fridge. Our man door is near the driveway and is super convenient. Especially in cold weather.

• just_janni

Garage doors do a poor job of insulating. Even insulated doors leak around the seals. You are going to have to over compensate with wall insulation and HVAC - but it will still leak.

I do agree that windows are nice in a garage - especially if you spend any time in there.

I know lots of people that have their gym in a garage I love windows in garages and MCM style garage doors are my favorite with the windows down one side. We go to restaurant where they have huge garage type doors they open in the summer we have been there in the dead of a BC winter no issue with cold air.

• Angel 18432

Just my two cents. First of all, if possible I would put the door into the garage around the back. It's too easy now for possible intruders to test the door and see if it's open. Having to go around the back may deter them, and you may have fencing to block the route later down the road.

I would do transom windows, high enough to let in light but no one can see in. Don't even have to put blinds on them. You could could put two at the back and one at the side or 2 and 2.

RES2

If you want advice on things other than the windows, like the location of the man door, you need to tell us the climate, and post a site plan showing where you might locate a garden, and other outdoor amenities.

• doods

We had a window in our garage above the work bench and loved it, it was nice to work there with a view! Lots of storage in the rest of the garage, was a garage and a half, size wise.

• bpath

If I were planning to use my garage as a gym, I’d either have it facing the rear, or have at least one of the garage doors facing the back yard. How nice to have a view, and fresh air, especially when using the cycle or elliptical for a while. If you have the single overhead door to the rear, you could do that. It could have glass in it for light when it is closed, or even be mostly glass. For future owners, it’s convenient for yard tools, putting patio furniture away for the winter (if you have winters there), bikes, and backyard toys.

• admiirny

The building site is in the country side and scenic views in every direction lol.

Thank you all for the amazing feedback/suggestions. I will sit down and try to use these ideas to make something work!

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

It depends. Do you plan to have some sort of workbench in there for fix-it projects or woodworking? If so, having some natural light is a good thing. If I was adding windows, I'd do it on the right wall, instead. That way you have the entire back wall for storage shelving for things like tools, holiday decorations, sports equipment, etc.

ETA: Just read the gym comment. Still think the right wall is the right place to put the windows.

• bpath

Will you typically enter the house from that man-door? Like, when you come home in the car? With groceries, parcels, etc? Maybe wet shoes? You might want To move the man-door to the left side, so that you are closer to the door to the house, and lessen the outside dirt etc that might drift in or come off your shoes as you walk past the equipment.

Is that a porch to the left of the garage? That’s a good place for a door, it has an overhang.

• Karen Heffernan

If you're using the garage as a gym rather than a place to park your cars, you'll absolutely want windows; both for natural light, as well as making it a much more pleasant work out space. I think your placement looks good. You could also have a window in your entry door, or windows in the garage doors.

• chloebud

^I'd want windows for the reasons Karen mentioned. We have windows in our garage that are nice, especially since that side of the garage faces the street. The garage door (also with windows) faces the back of the house.

• cpartist

Can't tell about the windows because the windows need to relate to the elevations of the rest of the house. For example, my house is on a corner lot and my garage is on the corner. I absolutely added windows to enhance the overall feel of the house/garage so you weren't staring at blank walls.

As to those afraid of looking into the windows, we had 3M come after the windows were in and do a frosted film over all the garage windows. No curtains needed but we still get lots of light streaming into the windows.

• aziline

Our garage has high ceilings due to 3 step walk up to accommodate the basement and 9' ceilings on the main floor. We have 2 rectangular windows that start about 8' up. Brings in lots of light, makes it private, and we don't have to worry about shelving placement.

• admiirny

The garage will be insulated and heated. I live in NY. You will be able to see the right side of garage as you pass by the road

Mark Bischak, Architect

I put windows in one client's garage because he feared one day his wife may make him live in it.