Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_yu4078173

Butlers Pantry or Top to Bottom Cabinets w/ Pics

5 years ago

I am renovating my kitchen and butlers pantry and have a design dilemma. The butlers pantry is located in between the kitchen and dining room. We have lived in our house for 7 years now and have never used the countertop in the butlers pantry to have food or drinks for parties. We always put food and drinks out on the island. Currently use to charge I Pads and store vases, china, and other random things. The kitchen layout will stay the same (cooktop moving to wall). So, my question is do I really need to keep my butlers pantry or can I make it all cabinets from top to bottom. White cabinets, satin bronze hardware.....this would allow me to hide the I Pad charging within the cabinets. Since what we currently put on the counters is an eyesore (and will remain so bc of kids). I think having full top to bottom cabinets would be so much more functional but I don't want convert it over if I'm missing something amazing about having a butlers pantry. Help!!



Comments (11)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO any space that is not used is wasted. I think in most cases butlers pantries are not even in the right place , at least yours is that. I think in this century unless you use catering a lot the BP is just a waste. IMO to include that space in the kitchen would make more sense to me then you could have a renge or cooktop where it could be vented properly which is on an outside wall. Post a to scale floor plan of the kitchen and the BP then we can see the space you are actually working with. IMO charging stations are best in kids bedrooms and used at night .

  • 5 years ago

    I see no reason why you can’t just make this a built in pantry of sorts. Whether you store food in it or china and electronics, makes no difference. Install some outlets in the cabinets or drawers so that you can hide the electronics. We did this in a desk area in our eating room. It’s your house.... do what your family needs and makes sense for you all.

  • 5 years ago

    Have your floor to ceiling cabinetry - and have electrical/charging outlets installed inside the cabinetry above/near designated shelving for those “unsightlys” to sit on while charging WITH the cabinet door shut! You and your kids would have your cake AND be able to eat it as well!

  • 5 years ago

    You can do full cabinets but the reason should be for charging the iPads lol. Meaning to say if that was the only reason ( which I don’t think it is...) I’d say to just put outlets into the drawers. Your updating it anyways and i think it’s more of a style thing. Would you prefer more if an extension of the kitchen. With backsplash visible. Or do you want it to look more like furniture. Both are nice and both have different benefits. Love this space. Has so much potential!!

  • 5 years ago

    Not a designer, just starting our own remodel and have been thinking about charging stations. My husband is telling me that we are moving quickly to wireless charging so I think we are not including a charging station at all in our remodel.


  • 5 years ago

    We are also going to have a wall of floor to ceiling cabinets, not BP.


  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for all your feedback!! I don't have a scale floorplan of my kitchen and butler's pantry but hope the photos were helpful. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for getting rid of butlers pantry in favor of something is really is more functional for us. We have a large island in the kitchen so that's where all the food & drinks go when we host parties. Yay for storage!

  • 5 years ago

    My situation is slightly different in that my Butler’s Pantry/Laundry room lies between the garage and kitchen. One side holds the washer and dryer but these are both under the long counter, so I have lots of counter space to stage items for entertaining and place dirty dishes after. I find this *very* useful!


    The other side is currently a floor to ceiling wire storage rack running the length of the room. This mostly stores my entertaining stuff – dishes, chargers, bowls, warming trays, etc. I’m thinking of changing this to upper cabinets and lower cabinets with a counter in-between - much like the OP currently has. I was thinking that I could store smaller, less used appliances such as my crockpot and stand mixer on the exposed counter. Because this room is not used by guests, these could stay out and even be used right in this spot.


    Thoughts? Perhaps I should start my own thread on this, but it seemed to dovetail nicely… :-)

  • 5 years ago

    Instead of just going with cabinets, are there any additions that could add to more versatile usage: an extra fridge, wine fridge/storage, a desk area, etc. Then decide on how best to configure and consider different types of storage mixing drawers, open shelving, etc




  • 5 years ago

    Love Maureen’s ideas!

  • 5 years ago

    Maureen, those are great ideas! I was thinking about a wine fridge or a wine rack within the cabinetry ( but then that would look better in a butler pantry type of set up). I do have those separately in the dining room but they would look nice integrated into the cabinets.