Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_14731907

Bathroom Window Ideas/Help

Keri L.
3 years ago

I just moved into a beautiful new house, and am stuck on how to cover the main bathroom window. It is a half bath, located in the front foyer of the house. The problem is that it has a beautiful floor to ceiling window, that I would like to leave uncovered in order let in natural light into the foyer. However, the window is located just next to the front door, so company would have to walk past the window to get to the front door, which when left uncovered, you can clearly see the toilet bowl. You can actually see the toilet bowl from the street. Currently, I have a curtain that is pulled halfway closed during the day, letting in some light and blocking the view of the toilet bowl from the outside. But I'm looking for other ideas/suggestions!

Comments (13)

• jck910
    3 years ago

I would have a smaller window installed.

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

A custom glass shop can show you many different "types" of glass, with different amounts of privacy, choose one and replace the glass.

• marasmac
    3 years ago

Shutters

• evdryst
    3 years ago

How about a film? I've had great success covering windows with something I bought at Home Depot (search for "window film home depot frosted" to get you started). My contractor has also used something that was in a spray can, but I don't know what it was. Additionally you might have some success with top down bottom up blinds? I love those. Pretty bathroom!!

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

I would use white “ cafe” shutters with operable louvers. Then you could add a pull down pleated shade to be used at night. A pretty fabric swag could cover it. The shade cannot be seen at other times. This is a swag with a shade underneath....but no shutters.

• Snaggy
    3 years ago

Why the hell did someone put a floor to ceiling window in a loo ..I would get a smaller window !

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

I have seen so much of this construction that allows you to greet your guests as they arrive at the front door, and all the while you are sitting on the toilet!

What were they thinking? I have seen so much of this and mainly in more expensive houses.

why? Why put a toilet right there!? That just. makes no sense, at all. But you see it a lot, for some obscure reason.

Fortunately there are several options to cover it, but you should not have to do that.

My house is older and more modest but the builders did put a toilet just down the hall from where we dine and you can look straight down the hall and into the toilet from the table. I have always hated it, but to change it would have been so problematic otherwise. I enquired once and the estimate to do so was more than I wanted to pay, so I just keep that door closed.

• H B
    3 years ago

You are probably going to want to be able to regularly clean whatever you put there.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A semipermanent cover on the lower half of the window. Plantation shutters of some type would be great, perhaps on the entire window and leave the lower half closed all the time?

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Add a layer of sheer curtains on a tension rod. They can be mounted at the top for full length or at the halfway point to leave the top view open.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

There are all kinds of decorative window film and choose based on the amount of light you want.

Then accessorize to compliment and give the room a finished look - add ladder type shelving above toilet for more storage and a basket to hide toilet paper, paint walls and frame the same color, some nice towels and a rug. Window will become a cute feature, provide privacy and light.

• Keri L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you, these are some really great suggestions. I'm going to look into shutters and window film and see what will suit the window best. Such a strange place for quite a large window!