Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissamdelaney

Kitchen configuration woes!

Melissa
3 years ago

We must finalize the configuration, stat. And we are hung up on the wall that must have a 36” built-in fridge, 30” double ovens, a 36” cooktop and hood. We initially had the ovens next to the right of the fridge. But I have my heart set on a slab backsplash running behind the hood, and have a gorgeous quartzite slab picked out for the win. The problem is my slab is not big enough for the wall space. So we are trying to reconfigure the wall so the backsplash is 10’ or so across.

The below is the latest from my cabinet designer. I like the balance of having the ovens on the right but don’t think I can handle the awkward counter space to the right of them in the corner. I do not want to overload the wall with upper cabinets because it takes away from the drama of the slab backsplash.

I’ve stared and stared at this and need some outside help and advice. Thanks in advance Houzz community!

Comments (10)

• partim
    3 years ago

What is in the corner? Your plan is small and hard to read.

• Melissa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nothing is in the corner. This is the previous iteration (ignore the wall colors, etc)

• partim
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I like this better than your initial plan to have the double ovens beside the refrigerator. I don't think that's an awkward counter space in your new plan. Is there a lazy Susan in the corner? Your new plan will reduce the airiness of the plan by putting a full-height bulk closer to the window.

Where is your microwave?

• PRO
    Diane
    3 years ago

I agree the 2 feet to the right of the oven cabinet in your new plan, although lit by windows, will be something of a cul-de-sac without an upper cabinet/appliance garage, or something to connect it to the other cabinetry on that wall.

Looking at the previous plan, why don’t you put a filler all the way to the left, the double oven cabinet, then a tall pantry cabinet, then the refrigerator with a right hand side panel. Although you would lose the symmetry of your current plan, you would have more storage, and the refrigerator would not only not be next to the oven, (something I avoid in designs unless there is no other option) you would be able to make the width of the backsplash what you have available, as well as have it exposed directly by the natural light.

Having the refrigerator side against a wall is also a situation to be avoided, in my opinion.

When faced with putting the ovens or the refrigerator within the central cooking area, I always choose the refrigerator. Ovens are rarely used compared to how often one opens a fridge door, and it is best to have the area clear in front of oven for safety reasons. Although you will not have a landing area right next to it, you will be close enough to the island to put a roasting pan or tray of cookies etc down there.

Good luck with your project, Melissa! Please let me know what you decide, and post the 3 D plans on the proposed drawing as well, I’d like to see that too.

Diane

• cupofkindnessgw
    3 years ago

What about a 48" range that has two ovens underneath it?

: /

I know that is an expensive option but I thought I'd throw it out there....

• PRO
    Diane
    3 years ago

cupofkindnessgw That does nothing to address the OP issue of needing the backsplash to be less than 10 feet wide so she can use a single slab.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    3 years ago

Would some open shelving to the right of the double oven stack make it feel a little less awkward without being too heavy? Alternately, you could add a cabinet (15"?) to the left of the fridge to shift everything down the wall a bit, putting your ovens much closer to the corner. Not sure if that would feel more or less awkward, and IMO open shelves to the right might help the look in any case. Having the oven stack just hanging out not attached to any uppers at all feels a little weird.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Having the oven stack (a vertical column) in the prime prep space between the sink and cooktop is a bad idea. You're letting your stone slab ruin your layout. If you keep the oven in that position, you can save the layout by adding a prep sink to the island. If you feel the corner is awkward, add an appliance pantry. Examples below:

NKBA guidelines, specifically #4

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just lost a post, so this might be a duplicate:

The oven stack (a vertical column) should not be in the prime prep space between the sink and cooktop. You're letting a stone slab ruin your layout. NKBA guidelines, specifically #4

If you keep the ovens in that location you can save the layout by adding a prep sink to the island, and you can fill the awkward corner with an appliance garage. Examples below:

• Svetlana J
    3 years ago

I agree with the appliance garage idea - it will anchor the double ovens and make the space more functional. At the very least, I would do open shelving.