Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thehavensfamily

Alabaster Disaster!

P H
3 years ago

My designer convinced me to paint my kitchen cabinets SW Alabaster because that color went well with my tile floor. It was a good choice to go with the tile floor. I realize it's more of a creamy white. The issue is I do not want Alabaster trim throughout my entire house. I've read over and over on these boards that Alabaster looks dingy or gray in north facing rooms or rooms without much light.

PRO Lori Sawaya has mentioned in discussions that Alabaster trim makes wall color difficult and I don't want to have a problem when painting the rest of my house!

I'd like something that's just a bit whiter but won't make my kitchen cabinets look dingy or make them go even creamier. Maybe do Alabaster trim just in the kitchen?

I'm not opposed to using Alabaster for everything in my kitchen (in different sheens) but I'm wondering if I could pull off transitioning something a bit whiter for the trim in the rest of the house. The kitchen is separated from the rest of the first floor by two 35" open doorways.

Am I destined to have Alabaster trim in my entire house just because I used it on my kitchen cabinets?

Comments (9)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

SW Extra White for trim. 🌈

P H thanked Marylee H
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

I've changed trim color slightly previously. The way you see the color changes anyways as you turn the corner :)

P H thanked lucky998877
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Am I destined to have Alabaster trim in my entire house just because I used it on my kitchen cabinets?

No. pick whatever trim color you like. you can even pick an actual color for the trim.

P H thanked Beth H. :
  • Chrissy Berard
    3 years ago

What did you end up doing? I’m doing Alabaster on my walls (I think) but I don’t want Alabaster on my trim (because I don’t want to have to change my trim

colour next time I paint). I have no idea what to do! Lol

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Alabaster is more colorful which make it more of a color choice vs. less colorful colors of white like Extra White, White, Super White, etc.

That's why it's more limiting as a trim color.

And it needs to look pretty in your space with your stuff.

If you don't love the look of the cabinets, then I certainly wouldn't add more of it in the form of paint.

Technically Extra White trim works with Alabaster cabinets. Repeat whites like EW as well as off-white colors like Alabaster throughout to pull it all together in to one cohesive look.

P H thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I have a brighter white that I think is the best white to go with Alabaster.

The color can be purchased/mixed at any Benjamin Moore store.

Ask them to color match Match of Devine Color™ V0101W Icing *

Why is it better than any of the BM or SW colors?

It has almost the same Chroma and Hue as Alabaster, but is whiter.

Color is measured using 3 values

Light

Chroma

Hue

Here are depictions of each value

Light - how white or black a color appears.

Chroma - how gray or colorful a color appears

Hue - the color

Here is a comparison of Alabaster, Extra White and Devine Icing

Alabaster Light value is 92.68, Extra White is slightly lighter at 94.25 and Icing is a bit lighter at 96.57.

Alabaster Chroma is 5.24, Icing is just a bit less colorful at 4.83, Extra White is a few points grayer at 2.59

Icing has a Hue of 91.6, just a few degrees warmer than Alabaster at 97.82 while Extra White is greener than Alabaster with a hue of 117.86,

When I used the hues and made the color both darker and more saturated the difference between the 3 hues becomes much more obvious.

Here are other LCH values for the Sherwin Williams Whites

P H thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • nicoletouk
    3 years ago

Jennifer Hogan, that is awesome, and so helpful!

P H thanked nicoletouk
  • P H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chrissy Berard I haven’t figured it out yet! I’ve receiver some really good info to think over!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations