Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_485247347

Before & After: 1950 Kitchen & Breezeway Renovation

Michael P
3 years ago

We purchased our circa 1950 house from the original owner 11 years ago. After living with the original (charming) kitchen and breezeway all this time, we finally decided to do a major renovation and combine the two spaces. Pella installed the black fibreglass replacement windows throughout the house in September, and demolition began in October. Finishing touches were completed just in time for Christmas, on December 23rd.

Favourite thing: the bar area!

Biggest annoyance: having to order two sets of GE Café appliances from different retailers,

after the first retailer we ordered from kept changing the delivery date.

Regrets: not taking the windows to the height of the bulkhead; not going with the “statement” quartz for the island.

Comments (32)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Wow! Never even would have thought that's the same house. Great job!

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

Statement island quartz would have been a possibility. But found myself admiring the floor for a couple reasons in this space... and a stand out quartz would have maybe been an extra layer , not at all needeD in fact maybe too much. It’s better the way it ended up I think. Do you mean window up to the little projection half way to ceiling? You have plenty of glass surface as fiberglass frames are slim. Don’t think you need the extra glass surface . That would be the only real reason to have gone taller. We put in fiberglass Marvin windows. Enjoy your great windows / those extra few inches would not have given you that much more. Great renovation !!

• rebunky
    3 years ago

No way that’s a completely different house! I‘ll take a glass of champagne please. I like you did the white cafe appliances rather then stainless. Gorgeous!

• Sharon
    3 years ago

Looks great! I love the seating area. The bar is very cool. Enjoy!!

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Very nice! You did well here!

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Absolutely stunning !

• Michael P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments! I should have added that the only thing left to do is have the last strip of lighting installed on the top shelf over the bar (you probably noticed that area is dark in the photo). The specific piece needed was on back order, and now we have to wait for the shut down to be lifted so the kitchen installers can return.

Oh—and I decided I can’t live with the white microwave (too bright), so it will be replaced with black stainless.

• L A
    3 years ago

What a transformation! Love it

• smiling
    3 years ago

Just a spectacular transformation! I love it, and keep going back and looking through again because every detail is just wonderful. The scale of seating and lighting in your seating area is so perfect, the coffee table, the adorable bench, that perfect floor lamp, oh my. The warm wood accessories, the extraordinary natural light... I'm sorry you regret the island counter, but I was reminded of the old phrase, "too many clowns in the kitchen," and it's possible that a statement island might have detracted from the final result instead of elevating it. This is one of the most remarkable transformations I've seen in a long time. Congratulations!

Michael P thanked smiling
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    3 years ago

This looks awesome!

• crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

I had to go back and look for your microwave, and nearly gave up before finally spotting it (I think). It really does blend right into the white cabinets. I wouldn't bother with replacing it.

I totally agree about the island stone - the black and white is perfect. I think a busy quartz would have been too much. It's a beautiful space. Great job.

Michael P thanked crcollins1_gw
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Wow! Fabulous!

• vjs12
    3 years ago

No..... don't change the microwave to black. It will stand out like a sore thumb IMO.

• PRO
    Kim Moulder, Art and Design
    3 years ago

Love love love it! I will have a mid-century mod house in another life! 🥰
    Those windows!! 😍😍😍
    Great job on that kitchen!!

Michael P thanked Kim Moulder, Art and Design
  • Bev
    3 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the dark cabinets!

Michael P thanked Bev
  • PRO
    PAINT POWER
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, great job!

Michael P thanked PAINT POWER
  • Michael P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Three months later, we finally have the lighting installed for the top shelf. Now my OCD can take a rest! 🤣

• kculbers
    3 years ago

Lovely❣️Wonderful❣️

Michael P thanked kculbers
  • antiquesilver
    3 years ago

Stunning transformation! Enjoy

Michael P thanked antiquesilver
  • PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    3 years ago

This is a beautiful transformation. The island and shelving is stunning.

Michael P thanked PRM Custom Builders
  • Jay Inhoff
    3 years ago

Very attractive transformation. So fresh and clean looking. great job!

Michael P thanked Jay Inhoff
  • PRO
    JL Design
    3 years ago

What a transformation! Love the bar area too!

Michael P thanked JL Design
  • PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    3 years ago

This is a wonderful transformation! The bar area is very nice and captured our attention right away. The openness of the space is incredible and it is so nice that so much natural light flows in from the windows. Great job!

Michael P thanked May Construction, Inc.
  • barncatz
    3 years ago

It's gorgeous!

Michael P thanked barncatz
  • Tom S
    3 years ago

Wonderful renovation. You were better off without a flashy quartz countertop for the island. Let the floors shine. It would have been too busy and distracting. The simple white colors of the countertop works perfectly.

Michael P thanked Tom S
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Pretty awesome transformation! Love the bold artwork!!

Michael P thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    KT tile
    3 years ago

Very nicely done job! Looks modern and sleek.

Michael P thanked KT tile
  • Anne Swanson
    3 years ago

I LOVE this whole design and appreciate you posting! I am buying a house with a breezeway as well and looking for new ideas. This really inspired me. Can you share ballpark cost?

Michael P thanked Anne Swanson
  • Michael P
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Anne Swanson: I’m almost embarrassed to say, as I live in Canada, where *everything* seems to be so much more expensive than in the U.S. I watch HGTV and am regularly gobsmacked by how much further the renovation dollar seems to stretch south of border.

The whole project, excluding appliances, furniture, and decor, came in at about $115,000 CAD.

• shannon_mahar3
    3 years ago

Looks amazing! Love the bold art choices too!

Michael P thanked shannon_mahar3
  • Anne Swanson
    3 years ago

@Michael P that is actually a very good price! The HGTV shows are a total sham as I'm learning. Projects take many months to complete and cost so much more than they show on TV. I've been completely ruined. LOL. I am under contract on a 1961 brick fixer upper now...have budgeted at least 250K USD and that probably won't go very far. Here in Denver, construction costs have skyrocketed because everyone is renovating and very few homes on the market. Plus construction materials have quadrupled in the last year.