Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_66455624

When you can’t agree during a bath reno...

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago





Hi all! We are remodeling our 23 year old master bath. We have chosen Florida Tile Enchant Honesty in a 12x24 for the shower walls and tub surround with the 8x24 for the floors. Our tile designer initially selected a very light marble hex mosaic for our shower floors and accent wall, top photo. After much reading here, we have chosen to go a different way, and now we can’t agree. After visiting the store yesterday, we came home with a glass mosaic and penny round for the floor. I am just not loving it.... My husband is all about contrast, I like calm and simple. He is adamant about a shower accent wall. I would prefer not to have one. Our chosen tile does have a porcelain hex, but it’s nearly $45 for just under a square foot. Our local tile shop is only open by appointment from 9-4 M-F. We need to decide on tile this week. I am open to any suggestions for a shower floor tile AND a way to convince my hubby against a shower accent wall. I would be ok (?) with a wide strip along the plumbing wall if that’s a fair compromise. He wants to do a roughly 18x48” accent on the back shower wall. https://www.floridatile.com/products/enchant/

Comments (87)

  • 5 years ago

    @SouthernBelle ~ The hex is porcelain so I’m hoping (?) that will make for an easier clean over marble.

  • 5 years ago

    I think you can ask your tile designer (in your husband's presence) which tile will give a better, calmer effect without having the designer take sides. It's not a designer's job to reconcile you and DH, so don't put him/her on the spot. Just ask for a professional opinion without mentioning that this is a bone of contention.


    I believe that keeping the design of the accent wall simple (yes - no frills) will not only be more up-to-date but also be more in keeping with the style of the modern tub that you already have. If you haven't purchased the faucets, towel rods and so on, don't go traditional but more modern with a hint of traditional. Or a modern take on a traditional design. I'm trying to find here ways to pull together the overall design.


    Okay - back to modeling the vanity.


    Cheers!



    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I feel as if our tile designer should point out to my husband that a 12x24 tile will work. Am I asking too much of that?


    Has your tile designer told you that they think 12x24 tile will work?

    HU-66455624 thanked beesneeds
  • 5 years ago

    @beesneeds No. She has not. She didn’t even mention that our chosen field tile had a coordinating hexagon. I found that on the manufacturer website and inquired about it. It’s very frustrating as the tile shop is still only open by appointment. She knows I’m more about calm and serene, DH is about contrast. She sent us home with this combo on Friday:

    This makes my head hurt!!!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    If your tile designer hasn't brought up 12x24 tile at all, maybe try bringing it up to them? They might not be aware that you like that size tile.

    HU-66455624 thanked beesneeds
  • 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker Here’s a straight on picture of Honesty

    There Is shadow from stair rails, lol. I can’t find a good spot that is shadow free...

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I find that most "designers" that are working in tile showrooms are not actually real designers with proper training. Most of them have learned a bit, but really just sell tile. I still feel that putting a larger niche on that wall with the hex inside would be a better option. You can build a tall niche with a shelf in the middle. Schulter has one that is 12 x 28. You can put your essentials in pretty bottles and it actually becomes a focal point without the somewhat dated "feature wall".

    I also agree that if the tub has already been ordered and can't be changed, that putting fixtures that are a bit more modern will help bring the design together. When designing a room, most items should be selected in advance. Making one change effects the overall look of a space and often then means you need to make another change. It's a domino effect.




    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    HU-66455624 Grout and spacing and color, all will be a big factor in maintenance, remember this too. Make sure too, that you don't put something on your floor that will cause slips and falls, no matter what!

    HU-66455624 thanked SouthernBelle ~
  • 5 years ago

    That is so funny Design Girl. I also often use the phrase "domino effect" when talking about design. LOL


    Anyway, here is your 12x24 floor in full glory HU-66455624:




    The faucets aren't exactly what I would envision for you but they were already in one of my projects, so I grabbed them.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker THANK YOU! Seeing the bath “in person” reassures me. With the 12x24 floor, do you think that is the best lay pattern? i keep reading about 1/3 and 1/2 offsets, which I get the look, but not the reason for it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Often times when working with a 12 x 24 they do a 1/3 offset. It has to do with the size of the tile and the condition of the subfloor. I have a photo of a 12 x24 tile that was done in a standard brick 1/2 offsets and it was fine. I think it also depends on the skill level of the tile contractor.


    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    You are welcome! Yes, those offsets (running bond) would work too but I like it this way. It is true that this layout will be harder to get right, because the edges of the tiles have to align perfectly. That is the reason why they do usually the offset - it is easier and more forgiving.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It appears your straight on picture of Honesty is fairly busy. Some marbles are softer looking and others a bit busier. I'd be a bit worried about the "accent wall" with this tile. The tile itself is presenting quite a focal point. @Alexandra Brooker's rendering has the tile "much quieter" than it actually appears in your photos. The sinks in her rendering also appear very close to the WC and shower. How much room do you have between the vanity and shower? I would also add that the stacked floor pattern that is presented above is much more modern than the running bond or 1/3 offset.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    Design Girl - according to the floor plan measurements the distance between the WC and the vanity is 34". Oops, I might have messed something up, because judging by the tiles it is more like 28 inches or so. I will look into that.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    I was 4.5 " off. I still have to make the shower deeper, so the entire bathroom is wider. Thanks for noticing, Design Girl.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker - Do you mean that it's 38 1/2 inches between the two areas or 29 1/2. That's pretty tight, don't you think?

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    It is 34.5” between edge of vanity top and toilet wall.

  • 5 years ago

    @Design Girl My DH only sees white with the tile. He thinks we’re going to have this super white bathroom and we needed the darker gray vanity to offset all of the white...

  • 5 years ago

    I moved that "vanity" wall and added a huge mirror to give the narrow passage a sense of spaciousness. The sconces are Thomas O'Brien's Bryant sconces with glass shades.




    I put in two not three sconces because to me it felt like there was too much happening on that mirror. For practical reasons one more in the middle of the mirror would be a good idea though.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    Yes, Design Girl, no matter if it's an inch more or less, it's still tight. I think it is too late now to change the layout. A vanity that blends with the wall color would help.


    HU-66455624 - do you mean your tile person thinks about white walls?! With those tiles it would never work.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I agree with @Alexandra Brooker that the bathroom configuration is not optimal for the space you have and could be done differently to provide better access and flow. 34 inches is a very tight space to have all the activity of the shower, W/C, etc going on in that one area, when the tub and linen closet are on the opposite side where there will be minimum activity. It's also confusing when the tub wall is listed at 8 ft 4 inches = 100 inches and the vanity and W/C wall add up to 87.5 inches. Is the w/c jut out over a foot? Would you be up to moving a bit of plumbing to make the space function better? It's something to think about. I hate to see clients spend hard earned money updating fixtures and tile and not spend a little more moving some plumbing to make a more functional space.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker - I think OP means that her husband only sees a white bathroom because the tiles are predominately white. I don't think he is referring to paint color. Wait until the tile goes in. He's not going to see white then.



    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    @Design Girl We have chosen to keep layout as is, due both to time and budget. We are rarely in the bathroom at the same time, so it works for us as is. Yes, part of the water closet juts into a closet area behind it. And, you are correct. DH thinks the marble is all white...

  • 5 years ago

    Ah, I get it now. Well, he'd be in for a rude awakening if he saw for the first time those stark white walls next to the Honesty tiles, Design Girl.


    Here is the vanity in a color that blends with the wall. The wall color would need some adjusting, because now the colors of the wall and the vanity (Dover) are a bit of a "close miss" as they called it at my ID school:




    That looks better though!

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker - I believe OP has already ordered a gray vanity (and from photos above) it looks pretty dark. There's not much we can do when some of the larger fixed elements have already been purchased. Although we can help some, it's a bit late in the game to be of much help. @HU-66455624 - If you haven't already purchased bathroom faucets, you can take a look at Signature Hardware Greyfield or Mellwood. Greyfield is transitional in feel and I think will help bring your tub into the mix. In terms of your vanity top, imo ,you need to keep it plain white.

    You've got a rather busy faux marble so I'd go with a solid quartz in a white that blends with your tile and will compliment your darker gray vanity. SOLID white, no speckles or something again trying to imitate marble. If it's not totally plain I think it will look awful.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    Oh, I didn't realize that Moonstone vanity was already bought. Yes, there is no going back on that one.


    I'm not sure about plain white for the countertop. I haven't checked but I would go rather with a plain off-white, like the lightest color in the tiles. I like the idea of quartz for the top though.


    Cambria has a huge selection of quartzes - whites and off-whites included. Maybe start checking there, OP. You will see best what works when you put the samples together.




    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker - yes, I said pick a white that goes with the faux marble tile the best. I agree that it most likely will be an off white. There are tons out there. IMO, there can be no competing pattern on the top, as it most likely will be off with the floor and shower tile. I find porcelain marbles (shower and floor tile) to be much more realistic looking that their quartz cousins, which I mostly find fake looking and "plasticy".

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    Can you bring a entire box of the Honesty tile home and lay it out so he can actually see it? It’s much busier than marble and I believe the website indicated it’s high variation.

    I am all for including DH in choosing finishes, but I usually try to offer him a choice of two well planned options. He just can’t envision the finished project, will dismiss that it’s off because he doesn’t see color accurately. He will happily live his life, and I will be “aware” of the clashing/over designed project for the rest of my time in the home. I can’t even believe someone calling themselves a designer would pair those two clashing finishes you showed.

    HU-66455624 thanked curlycook
  • 5 years ago

    Design Girl - I think as long as quartz does not pretend to be a natural stone it is okay in my book. Those quartz "marbles" indeed are phony. Talk about dishonesty of the material.


    curlycook - I have the same situation with my husband. He has very self-assured opinions about design but the fact is that he is partially color-blind! Nevertheless, he always questions my choices and I have to rationalize every step of the design process to him. Very demoralizing.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    @curlycook - What clashing finishes do you mean. Perhaps it was the "designer" at the tile store, and I use that name loosely. Clearly they were awful and never should be paired together. I am also curious as to why this marble look alike tile is so expensive. OP has said the Hex is $45 sq foot. I can get Italian marble in a much smaller pattern for a lot less. Daltile's marble attache lavish in carrara is beautiful for a fraction of this price. It would allow more budget for other things.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker - I will consider myself VERY LUCKY. My husband realizes that this is the field I was educated in, and unless there is something he absolutely hates, he stays out of my way. Sometimes, I don't even show him what I'm doing and he's ok with that. He always tells me how good it looks in the end. On the other hand, he is a CPA, and I don't try to tell him how to do our taxes. That is his field and I realize he certainly knows more than I do. He always says "happy wife, happy life". I will count my blessings.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    Alexandra Booker - Yep, my DH is red/green colorblind. We’ve come to the agreement that he should trust me to offer choices, unless he’d like my input on a properly sized tv for the basement. Haha!

    Design Girl- Yes, I was referring to the tile store “designer’s” choices that the OP showed us. You are a lucky wife, for sure!

    HU-66455624 thanked curlycook
  • 5 years ago

    Oh, yes - you are indeed very lucky Design Girl. Gratitude is a wonderful approach to life. :)


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    HU-66455624 I don't think the material matters much between porcelain and ceramic (now, travertine is a whole new ball game!) - but the finish on the tile, be it gloss, matte, etc is more important as far as cleaning. Super glossy shows fingerprints, etc, more easily than matte - I have matte in guest bathroom, gloss in master bedroom, and honestly, the difference is negligible in my opinion. But grout must be addressed directly - especially in wet rooms. The larger the grouting space, the more cleaning you're going to have to do, and then color is a major factor in cleaning too (I have white grout throughout! I know.) The quality of grout is very important too. Then, remember sanded grout? Un-sanded grout?

    HU-66455624 thanked SouthernBelle ~
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Stay away from penny rounds.. the absolute worst nightmare to clean.

    HU-66455624 thanked Altair
  • 5 years ago

    OP - here is DH's version of the bathroom - the other hex mosaic on the wall and 8"x24" tiles on the floor:





    The tile on the floor isn't too bad, not a great difference, but 12"x24" would still be better, I think. The mosaic on the other hand is a little heavy-handed imo. In reality the contrasts in the tiles and the mosaic would be more pronounced and the darker pieces in the hex mosaic would look sort of crass. That's how I see it.


    Now it's up to you and DH to make the final decision on the tiles/mosaic.


    My job is done. Good luck! :)

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker THANK you!! I so appreciate the time you have spent for someone you don’t even know!! Sorry I’ve been MIA today. We have a daughter moving and a pending ice storm looming. We had both agreed a simple vanity top would be best-at least we agree on that. I will have to take a look at the faucets suggested. I really like the sconces. I was considering oval mirrors, as we have had the standard big builder mirror for 23 years. I emailed our tile lady today and asked her opinion on the 12x24 and she said bigger tiles always make the room look bigger. I will inquire that again with my husband present, lol. I have no explanation as to why the porcelain hex is so expensive. Tile designer said ALL of their porcelain mosaics are priced high. I will reread posts tonight and see if I’ve missed anything. Again, THANK YOU!!!

  • 5 years ago

    @curlycook Unfortunately, our tile is special order. Obviously the tile store has samples. Is it acceptable to ask for a few more to lay out on the floor if they have them? As for the clashing tile, this lady isn’t new to the business. She has been there a number of years. Somehow...

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I agree with Alexandra - the hex shower wall looks very heavy handed, and that's with the very subdued color of the tile she's using. The actual tile seems bolder. Hopefully you can convince DH that it's too much. Good luck.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    @Design Girl Thanks! I think I’m going to need it....

  • 5 years ago

    You are very welcome, OP. I'm glad that together with Design Girl and others I've managed to bring some more focus to your project and a sense that you know better what works, what doesn't and why. It was my great pleasure that I could be of help. It was fun! :) It doesn't matter that I don't know your face or name. I just saw that you really needed help and I had the right tools to provide, so I did.


    Please stay warm and safe and despite DH's difficult ways - happy renovating!


    Don't forget to post photos of your finished bathroom!


    Cheers!

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Guy: "Dude, my wife wouldn't let me have my shower accent wall!"


    Golf buddy: "No way!


    Guy: "Yep. It went up plain just like she wanted."


    I've been practicing my fiction writing lately, particularly focusing on dialogue. I'm pretty sure this is how guys speak when they get together. How am I doing please?



  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Joseph Corlett, LLC you ‘re too funny. My husband wouldn’t know what an accent wall was and I LIKE IT THAT WAY !!

  • 5 years ago

    Hi all. We have a potential compromise. DH will forgo his accent wall if we do a gray floor as opposed to the marble. However, I am beginning to worry that this marble look porcelain is too busy. Thoughts? This has been a real struggle....lol.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @HU-486092578 - Great to hear, and for some, design can be a struggle. It's always better to sit with things for a while. The floor does appear busy. As I mentioned before, each decision effects another and some of the choices have already been purchased and I'm not sure can be exchanged. A gray floor would be fine, but you said you already have a gray vanity correct? If I were doing a gray floor, I would want a white vanity. Have you looked at Daltile? They have a beautiful marble look porcelain called Marble Attache Lavish (color is Diamond Carrara). https://www.daltile.com/product/Marble-Attach%C3%A9-Lavish. It is VERY affordable and looks great. I've done 2 clients baths in this product. It comes in polished, satin and matte finishes. However, they do not make a hexagon in this product for your shower floor. They do have a 2 x 2 square which I've used and a 2 x 5 chevron that would be great on the shower floor. You should take a look. They usually will send samples to you. I think if you are VERY careful in selecting a gray floor, it could work with the gray vanity. Grays can have many different undertones, so it really just depends on what color the vanity is.

    HU-66455624 thanked Design Girl
  • 5 years ago

    Good luck pairing a gray floor with a gray vanity and the marble look tile. Have you considered hiring an actual designer for a quick consult? I paid $75/hour ten years ago to show all of my possible choices to one, and it helped immensely!

    HU-66455624 thanked curlycook
  • 5 years ago

    Hello again,


    Have you seen www.marblesystems.com products? Check out their porcelain "marble" tiles. This is a good company with quality products


    I'm in love with these tiles:


    https://www.marblesystems.com/marmi-vista/ - the statuario gold tiles (if you are open to the idea of doing something warmer looking). They have warm greyish veining with a creamy background. The veining is rather subtle (judging by the photos. The photos of the bathroom interior is very helpful in visualizing the end effect), which I believe would work better for you and you could use it both on the floor and the walls and it wouldn't be too much. It should work also with the gray vanity imo. You can get from Marble Systems a full-sized sample just for the price of shipping which is around $10. Marble Systems have plenty of other good quality and reasonably priced marble-looking porcelain tiles. You can track down a nearby dealer of their products through the website's dealer locator.


    Personally I don't like the idea of the gray tiles on the floor. Yes, matching them to the vanity will be a headache. I would use the marble tiles throughout but pick ones with definitely more subtle veining. It is much safer this way.


    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    If you want more white tiles with subtle grey veining then try these:


    https://www.marblesystems.com/dreaming/ I'm thinking about the crystal white tiles.

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker
  • 5 years ago

    @Alexandra Brooker Thank you for your suggestions. Those are both very nice and more what I’m thinking. Sadly, we don’t have a dealer in our area.

  • 5 years ago

    Try here:


    https://www.countryfloors.com/dreaming/

    https://www.countryfloors.com/marmi-vista/


    But first get samples from marble systems...

    HU-66455624 thanked Alexandra Brooker