Software
Houzz Logo Print
soosun2

Solution needed to prevent sun from fading sofa.

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a walk thru living room size 18' long x 11.6' wide. The TV is on the longest wall and the sofa is opposite it on the window wall. The windows are a set of 3 fixed panes that take up 8 feet of the wall. The windows are 5' tall x 2.6' wide.

I would like to find a permanent solution to block the sun on the lower part of the windows and thus prevent sofa from fading.....and the upper part of the windows would be open to the mountain view. The blinds have been up for 11 years so they can go.....suggestions would be appreciated.

View


Blinds open; view from entry hall. East sun coming into room in the AM


Blinds closed


View from dining room


Walk thru living room, TV on left sofa and windows on right.


Comments (18)

  • 5 years ago

    top down/bottom up blinds, shades or romans

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    UV film is the permanent solution you are looking for and won't affect the view.

    Susan Davis thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 5 years ago

    I agree with the film of course.

    Another thing you might consider would be curtains.

    That would achieve a decorative effect, give you some privacy when you want it (although it does seem like you don't have that many passersby) and maybe most important of all, keep your heating and air-conditioning costs down.


    Susan Davis thanked loobab
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If your windows are still under any kind of warranty, installing film on them may invalidate the warranty.

    Susan Davis thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    Will look into the window film process and the warranty options.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Keep in mind that UV light does fade...but blocking all of it does not stop the fading. Visible light will fade fabrics and items as well.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for all the info.
    We are going with 3M Prestige window film 70.
    For a dealer in the closest city to us. Install is April 15. Will report back!

  • 5 years ago

    Wondering if I should keep blinds in the windows after the install or leave windows bare with stationary panels on either side of window. Opinions?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have UV film on my windows which I installed about two years ago when I remodeled and it does NOT completely stop fading. I have an Eastern exposure and my curtains faded where the sunlight hit them.


    I know this because the Bluetooth connection for my motorized shades conked out during the pandemic and since I didn’t want repair people in during that period, the shades were up when I would normally have had them down when the sunlight was strong in the morning and they faded during that period despite having IV film

  • 5 years ago

    Did you use 3M window Film Pestige Film 70. This fil has no metal but microscopic layers of polymers. Might make a difference? Anyone have 3M product?

  • 5 years ago

    And thank you sooo much for posting this info!

  • 5 years ago

    Consider also planting some mid-size flowering trees that will block the mid-morning light but not the view.

    Susan Davis thanked Felix Pradas-Bergnes
  • 5 years ago

    I wanted to add that my shades (which did effectively block fading from morning sun before the pandemic :-() are the kind that aren't completely opaque so they don't block the view completely.

  • 5 years ago

    Great suggestions on land scape and Helen on your shades! We will have the 3M film applied and then replace the 2" faux blinds for privacy, but we can leave them open during the day and it will brighten the whole room and dining room.....

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    We've had 3M film on our windows for, oh, maybe 5-6 years. I have noticed no fading since then. I don't recall the level of UV blockage...but for those who have noticed UV fading, it would be helpful to the OP to include the film brand/level that didn't work out so great.

    Btw, I was also told the window warranty might be voided with the film. But our window manufacturer's warranty doesn't extend to subsequent homeowners (which we are), so we would get no benefit from any warranty. Secondly, all our neighbors use 3M, and none have reported window breakage, so it seemed like a good gamble to take. We haven't regretted it. We have a lot invested in wood floors, rugs, and less valuable but still nice drapes and furniture.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    A film will usually block +98% of the UV spectrum. That said, as mentioned above, visible spectrum WILL still fade materials. Definitely not as fast without the UV spectrum, but visible light, devoid of all UV, still has a fading potential to it.

  • 5 years ago

    I think there are some exposures where the sunlight is so intense that nothing but a shade will protect furnishing. Prior to my remodel I had nothing on my windows - no film and no shades and everything that the morning sun hit was faded - furniture was faded to the extent that one could see exactly where the beams hit and fabric too was faded and the material also was "cracked" as the fibers were weakened.


    I think Northern exposures are the best as one has light all the time without the issues of direct sunlight. Eastern at least only has the sunlight in the morning and so having the shades down for that period of time isn't claustrophobic especially with the ones that preserve some form of view. Western exposure is the absolute worst - I lived in a condo with Western exposure and one had to keep the shades down for an extended period of time and even with them down the heating impact was intense. No way to enjoy the sunsets - at least with an eastern exposure I can enjoy sunrise until the beams start pouring in for an hour or so.