Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_445583271

Placing different model washer and dryer side by side.

Alison B
3 years ago

Hi there,
We are considering putting these two machines side by side. They are both made by the same company just different models. We want this washer but the matching gas dryer we can’t seem to find in Canada. We like the washer more than the washer that comes with this particular gas dryer. Their prices are almost identical. We know that the spec sheet says that their dimensions are exactly the same and that they are the same colour. They are both LG so I feel like the colour should be consistent. I just took a screenshot from the website and then placed these two side by side. I wonder if the website just made the photo for the washer to look just a tad shiner than the drier or if the finish is of a higher gloss on the other model??? In the specs it says that they both use the exact same model number for their pedestal so that is what makes me think that it is simply the photo they took. I should also mention that the door for the dryer says that it is reversible.

Comments (18)

• armjim
    3 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with them side by side. If they provide the function for you, they will do what they are designed to do-wash and dry your laundry. For decades millions of households had different brands of washers and dryers working side by side peaceably. I think it has been this century with HGTV and similar programming that has made people think their washers and dryers should look exactly alike.

Alison B thanked armjim
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

My parents had mismatched pairs from 1964 through 1994 (one set was a white washer and harvest gold dryer), then again from 2012 to 2018. One of my aunts had mismatched for years. Both sets of grandparents. Numerous family friends. Myself for several years. No one cared. Guests didn't run screaming away and none of the laundry run through the machines was adversely affected.

Alison B thanked dadoes
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Ask the manufacturer if they have the same finish.

Alison B thanked apple_pie_order
  • Tara
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is so NOT a problem. If one of them were to break, would you buy a whole new "set" just because they now don't match? Even if the one that still works, works well? Most would not. It's laundry. Not a place for you to hold high tea. You're seriously overthinking this. If you REALLY need to have them match perfectly, have both of them repainted at an auto body shop the exact same color.

Alison B thanked Tara
  • Laundry Mich
    3 years ago

Better Question Is, why are you getting the LG? I would just go with a different brand, so I’d know I have clean clothes and something reliable.

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

I bought new w/d a few years ago, different brands, so they don't match. I didn't want to pay as much as the matching dryer would have cost. I went with a different brand dryer. I need it to dry laundry, not complete the styling of my home. I am not offended at all. They both work well. That's what was important to me. And that they fit in the space properly. We all have different priorities though.

Alison B thanked SEA SEA
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

These look fine together. If, however, it really bothers YOU that they are not exactly the same, you might see if there are white ones (usually less expensive) available you like.

In what room or space will they be put? (?closet?) (?laundry room?) (? mud room?) Unless they're in or visible from the kitchen, they'd not need to match your kitchen appliances in color ... if that is the reason you're choosing the darker machines ... or even if they are: For your laundry necessities, definitely put function over decor. .

Alison B thanked suezbell
  • Alison B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I believe you’re right, I AM overthinking this haha. I feel more at peace now. I am hearing all of this feedback and YES, I agree, this is absolutely not a big deal at all haha! Thanks 😊

• feronian2
    3 years ago

@Laundry Mich I'm curious about your comment on LG? Consumer Reports top 8 picks for front loaders are all LG. We've had LG for years and love them--never had a thing go wrong, they are super quiet and have lots of options. (but to the OP, I'm pretty sure they'll be identical color if they are the same product year).

Alison B thanked feronian2
  • doreycrouse
    3 years ago

Did you see if LG makes one of the larger capacity dryers in that same color? If I recall correctly, they don't, but having a square door and a slightly larger capacity dryer would be nice if it fits!

Alison B thanked doreycrouse
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Alison, I do understand wanting them to match, but they're close enough. It will be fine and I'd be willing to bet the finishes are the same.

Just wanted to say our washer/dryer are LG...love them. Every single brand out there has negative reviews. Best thing is to choose the features/functions you like and not worry so much about brand.

Alison B thanked chloebud
  • Laundry Mich
    3 years ago

The reason I suggest avoiding LG, as did 3 other members on here, is while they are great for households who do office work and never get dirty... many have problems getting clothes clean, or well rinsed of detergent.

If you spill detergent on the front, you better rinse it off quickly. The labeling will come right off. Even worse, god forbid you get pre-treatment spray on it.

• Rho Dodendron
    3 years ago

" If one of them were to break, would you buy a whole new "set" just because they now don't match? Even if the one that still works, works well?"

Sadly I have a friend who did toss a perfectly good machine so she could have a mataching new set.

I have 31 year old Kenmore dryer next to my 4 year old LG washer. That LG was a war horse last Fall when sons' family moved in with 1, 3, and 6 year olds.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

"Laundry Mitch: If you spill detergent on the front, you better rinse it off quickly.
    The labeling will come right off. Even worse, god forbid you get
    pre-treatment spray on it.
    "

That is not necessarily specific to LG. Overspray from stain treatment products such as Shout and Spray-n-Wash and other laundry chemicals can soften/damage the paint & labeling on control panels of any brand. I've seen it numerous times. Dryers also catch it being that the top of a dryer is a convenient area to lay out an item for spraying while the companion (topload) washer's lid is open for loading.

• armjim
    3 years ago

dadoes you are absolutely right on (I started to say spot on). Sometimes when I use a stain removal product I lay the article(s) on top of the dryer to apply, and almost always there is some residue on the cabinet. I routinely wipe the top of the dryer with a wet cloth or paper towel afterwards just to avoid the potential damage.

• boba1
    3 years ago

That's an LG WM4500 washer and the dryer is the match to the LG WM4200, if it works for you and the color is supposed to match, go for it. I guess the gas dryer version of the DLEX4500 isn't available. Separate photos probably taken by different photographers. So different lighting or hues. The 4200 offers the same color asn option as the only color the 4500 comes in.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Dorey, these are part of LG's new 4000 series. the only model with the square door is the 4500 for both the dryer and washer. The dryer is the same capacity for all three models of dryers in this series--7.4 cu. ft. To get a square door dryer and larger capacity, never mind color matching, the cabinet dimensions for the 8 to 9 cu. ft. dryers would be different than the washer.

Oh the dryer is the DLG3901, it's the only gas dryer available in black steel. Now I understand the ultimate deimma in Canada. the matching dryer to the washer is currently only available in electric.