Software
Houzz Logo Print
goodman_n

Did you have your cabinets professionally painted?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am considering having cherry stained kitchen cabinets professionally painted. Is it worth it? The cabinets are 17 yeas old. Beat up in some places, but not so bad a good sanding won't fix. I am concerned that the paint won't hold up and I will see chips and cracks fairly quickly. If you have had a positive or negative experience let me know. I would also like to know what technique is the best and what rough cost might be. I want the job done correctly, I am not looking for a budget solution so much as the one that will last 8-10 years. Thanks!

Comments (9)

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you. I will check that out.

  • 5 years ago

    "Be prepared to spend 7-9K on your project if you have a Houzz sized kitchen", What is a Houzz sized kitchen? Prices can be very different based on location. I don't think it is appropriate quoting an estimation not knowing his/her situation, type of work to be performed, product selection and location. I live in the mid-south, I had 22 doors and 9 drawers refinished and cabinets bases finished. 8 of the drawers had to be plugged for new hardware. Total cost start to finish $3,200.00 and it looks like a factory finish.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I can't comment on the cost of painting but the assertion that a "Houzz' sized kitchen has 44 doors and 18 drawers is ridiculous.

    I have a kitchen - I remodeled and used the forums in Houzz extensively for guidance and support and I don't have 44 doors 😂😂

    Years ago I moved into my condo and it had awful kitchen doors. To call them builder grade would be a compliment. I had them professionally painted - the guy took them offside and sprayed them with what seemed to be an enamel type of finish - it was shiny and had no streaks.

    The doors lasted for MANY years without looking shabby - let's say 10 years or so and then began to chip at the tops of the doors but still looked okay unless you looked closely. I didn't do anything with them and lived with the shabbiness until I was ready to gut remodel my condo.

    I don't remember what I paid and it would be irrelevant anyway since it was so long ago. Like any other project, get recommendations; learn enough to ask intelligent questions regarding how the job will be done and get bids.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks so much for your advice. It’s very reassuring that when done correctly the paint can last quite a while.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks everyone. I’m confident I can find a qualified painter and get the result I want.

  • 5 years ago

    Goodman - yes, please do. I learned the hard way. Mid Covid last year the cabinet refinisher I had contracted with had to bail due to illness and I went with the painter husband of a designer I was using. BIG MISTAKE.

    The cabinet refinisher group on FB is a gem. Lots of good resources which is great because I will need them when I refinish all of my doors myself this summer. Lesson learned. Best of luck!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    So I don’t have a Houzz Kitchen since I don’t have 44 doors but evidently I am guilty of having a smaller lower upscale kitchen - whatever the hell that is. 🕵🏻😂😂🤷‍♀️ Is that like being lower upper class or upper middle class? 🥸🥸🥸 Has JuneKnow bribed my GC and examined my invoices and assessed my kitchen? Has she bribed my doorman and gained access to personally assess exactly where it stands on the kitchen socioeconomic continuum? 😂😂😂

    Does that mean I am worthy of commenting on houzz threads or am I exiled to the mythical society of plastic backsplash DIYers wherever they are located. 😎😎 and I have been accused of not answering a question about costs when costs for painting cabinets 20 years ago would be irrelevant to this thread - if I even remembered. 🤡🤡🤡

  • 4 years ago

    101stretired- your kitchen looks great. I just found someone that uses milesi 2k. What countertop do your have ? Looks like quartz