Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_alexander3353

help with recently painted kitchen

5 years ago

Hi - I just painted the cabinets and walls of the kitchen of our new home. The backdrop, floor, hardware, appliances and countertops have not been touched and so I’m would love any thoughts and suggestions as to how to make this come together. My initial thought is the flooring needs to be updated the hanging lights replaced and appliances updated. Any thoughts as to improvements that can be made to make this come together?

Comments (33)

  • 5 years ago

    Put some rugs down on the floor.


    You'll have a breakfast table or something in the near view? Put that in place and then decide about it all.


    IMO it goes together nicely as is.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    so far looks good.

    Except, have them do some finish panel work on the island back/sides,




    and at the end of your lower cabinets




    or you guys can do it and just paint the trim work to match

    Are you saying you're up for changing countertops, tile and that fan?

















  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! Yes definitely up for changing the fan. Countertops and tile are further down the line. I’m more so trying to figure out what one thing can I change to make this come together. I don’t want to do a whole kitchen renovation.

  • 5 years ago

    If you’re replacing the floor in a couple of years, would you be game to paint your floor in the meantime? Could give you a fresher look until you get your dream floor.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    why don't you try a Grout Renew treatment for those floor tiles? get rid of the darker grout and make the tiles more even color. it's like a paint on treatment












    I think doing this to the floor will calm the look a bit.


    Then you can put down a nice runner in front fo the sink


    remove the fan.


    get some new pendant lights for over your island. Plenty of cheaper options and they're simple to switch out yourself.



    you could easily change out the tile backsplash yourself.

  • 5 years ago

    Also love the panel work idea and am going to look into the grout! Think that will make a big difference.

  • 5 years ago

    Also, what would you replace the ceiling fan with?

  • 5 years ago

    shoot a picture from the other direction so I can see what's down that end of the room

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I'm guessing you have a little table over there?

    first, I love what they did w/this island. And this figuration is almost identical to yours, minus the doorway.

    see how they trimmed out the island w/the beadboard and the thicker trim around the edges? looks so good. notice the pendants too.


    and the little runner. you have a slight overhang, so get some of those metal stools that don't take up a lot of room. like these:


    You can spray paint them any color.

    so here is a little banquet (built in type of bench seating) and a vintage oak table and chairs that have been chalk painted. Notice this ceiling fan! now this is cool looking. and the single glass pendant over the table. you could do these over the island too


    another painted oak table (I once found one of these for $15 on craigslist! refinished the table my self and painted the base black. it was beautiful)


    Notice the island pendants, and this one pendant over the table. not exact, but they blend.

    for savings, look at Lampsplusopenbox.com


    here's those stools again


    similar chairs for the table at the other end of the room

    I like the school house light pendants. have you ever though about doing a butcher block on your island? you can even make one. (they aren't difficult. I made a walnut countertop for my bar area for less than $50. came out great.


    another layout like yours. I don't care for the darker lights in this one, but if you like them, you could do something like this.




    Hopefully these pictures relate to the other side of your kitchen.

    BTW, you can remove that scallop 'bridge' over your sink. it will let in more light. Trim out the window and perhaps hang a pendant light.



  • 5 years ago

    These are great suggestions! I definitely want to remove the scalloping over the sink and love the idea of banquet seating in the corner. Once I’m back I’ll share a pic of the other side of the room.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much! We had the scalloping removed and love the new look! Here is also a view from the other side of the kitchen.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    wow. that was fast! what a difference!

    I see you have a vent below the window. you could still do a built in, but that bench would need to float on the wall




    or you could purchase a settee:



    Or, you could do something like this w/a grate that lets the heat escape.


    what you'd need is an L shape bench seating, and some type of table. here are examples. Don't get hung up on the style or the colors. You would taylor them for your kitchen and likes.















    take a look at banquette seating or kitchen nooks for other ideas

  • 5 years ago

    Luckily my painters were still there so they were happy to just take out the scallop bridge! Thanks so much for all of the these ideas. I’m going to look for a settee and circular table as I like that look in that space. !

  • 5 years ago

    Did you think about painting the island a colour other than white? A cute soft blue ?

  • 5 years ago

    I personally would plan on changing the counter when I could afford to. It doesn't jive with either your backsplash (which I like) or the floor. It looks like you might have room to a slightly larger sink in that base cabinet, too, so I would do that with the counter change.

    If you like having the air circulation of the ceiling fan (I wouldn't give mine up, it saves a lot on AC expense in my house) then change it out to one with a simpler, more modern look. There are lots of options out there.

    Same goes for the pendants. Beth H. showed lots of nice options - I just want to suggest going with shorter ones, than have a broader dispersal of light, to give more light to the kitchen overall. Perhaps those 2(?) ceiling lights that are directional, and seem to be throwing their light mostly onto the upper cabinet/wall, can be either adjusted or replaced with standard ones. LED retrofit units are not expensive and are easy to install.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree that the countertops now seem to be the odd man out in our kitchen. Will look into the lighting suggestions as well. Georgia I have thought about painting the island but not ready to take the leap just yet!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Lisa, if you're in an area that sells pre-fab countertops, you could prob get away w/one 9' countertop. they come in 24" X 6', 8' and 9' , finished on 3 sides. you call in a fabricator to cut them on site to fit your kitchen. since you have a simple kitchen countertop to do, it wouldn't take but a few hours. one of those 9' tops cost between $450 and $650, and come in all varieties.

    this is a shot of the 2X9 prefabs at my stone/tile place. you see how the edges are already finished? see all of the diff colors and types?





    some other granite ones propped up against the wall


    This one is TajMajal quartzite (and would look nice w/your tile). this is an exotic and the cost is 1800. But a slab of this would prob cost you over 5K to buy and get it fabricated. You might pay 800 to get yours cut on site.


    close up of some of the quartz options. the prices on these are about $500 or so.


    I think this Cambria Fairbourne would look nice w/your cabs and tile. Cambria is pricey, but if you check at HD or Lowes, they usually offer a decent price.




    Ceasarstone. any of these warmer tones would look nice too


  • 5 years ago

    I'm always ok with tan/ beige, as your floor/ backsplash seem. Large, but they relate in their shapes...?

    What is the width of the empty wall where I think banquette would be? and how about also the corner to left edge of windows?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Idk what Beth would think, but what about 1 or 2 of these [against the wall/s]... another chair other side? How many will sit down?
    Light adds rustic touch.

    Lumisource Oregon Upholstered Bench, White Metal and Gray Cowboy · More Info


    Capital Lighting Hugo 1-Light Large Pendant, Grey Wash Matte Nickel · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    With neutrals, wood can be pretty as accent.

    Square Rush Backless Counter Bar Stool, Oak · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    I'm curious if you have canvas art to try on empty wall - stools come in most colors. With all the white, this is 'fresh' --

    AmeriHome Loft 24" Metal Bar Stool with X-Brace Support, Teal - 2 Piece · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    I don't think these are neon.

    Set of 2, DSW Lime Green Mid Century Modern Dining Shell Chair, Wood Eiffel Legs · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Fan is good if ya need it..... natural linen with rustic dark metal nail head trim / 47 W x 25 D x 40 H


    Picket House Furnishings Francis Upholstered Dining Bench in Natural · More Info


    Brighton Top Down Bottom Up Insulated Roman Shade, Linen, 36"x64" · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    If fan has greigey driftwood, those legs and this entire bench could be a tie-in.

    Lumisource Oregon Dining Set Bench · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Posting cause of hardware, and island needs light / (W x D x H) 4.25 x 12.75 x 7


    ORE International 7" Tall Metal Wire Ceiling Lamp KT-198 · More Info


    Generation Lighting Lighting 5-Light Chandelier, Brushed Nickel · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Ya see, I like light while I work. Beth.. is this too many lamps? But the 2nd is slimmer and not so 'visual'

    Mid century Modern 3 Light Pendant, Brass · More Info




    Living District Collier 3 Light Pendant, Brass WithFrosted White Glass · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for these suggestions! I have one other additional question. What color hardware would you suggest on the cabinets? I have no idea which way to go here.

  • 5 years ago

    Here are close ups

  • 5 years ago

    I would say small dark squares to pull in your hansom pendant lights. The pulls you have now are the right size scale to me. The 2 hole ones should be plain bars to match. It is hard to tell if you are a little craftsman or farmhouse or ? I do think the pendents are nice & maybe bringing in more things to tie into the craftsman look will make you happier overall.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would wait to change the pulls & knobs until you have decided on the other elements - then you will know if you need dark (ORB)., polished or satin nickel, or modern brass. I see that that one near door has bright brass - if you like that, it would make sense to repeat that in the kitchen, but for myself I would change out that door hardware (or paint it - that works).

    IMO pulls need to be at least 5" for ease of use and cleaning. I would also pick some that are a bit heftier for a nice visual balance. Also IMO, bar pulls do not suit your cabinet style - look for something not fussy but not "modern" (these are mine, just as an example). You will want some that go stylistically with whatever lights you choose.

    Last IMO, I hate knobs on cabinets. If you like them, fine (I know that many do), but if not, you might be able to use the existing hole and change them out to pulls.

    Yep, I've got strong opinions about cabinet hardware! Some of that driven by arthritic fingers :(

  • 5 years ago

    everdebz, i like those pendants, but she already has two. if they do the single canopy, they'd have to patch the other holes and center the new one.


    hardware, just make it a simple traditional look. I'd do the pulls instead of knobs. Up to you what color you want.




  • 5 years ago

    Hi hey Beth, I think initial post said she's replacing lighting....

    I had those curved handles I think - a brushed coppery with rosy almost? not so bad, and not exactly cheap. :)

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks everyone. A lot of great ideas here. I think I’m going to focus on the pendants, hardware and fan next. Then do the seating area so we have someplace to eat! Thanks so much for these ideas!