Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

Identify this vine crawling along the ground?

Can anyone identify this crawling vine seen in Eastern Massachusetts? Thank you.

Comments (15)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lamiastrum galeobdolon now, I believe, but I may be out of date already.

Rick (zone 6b, MA) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

It seems it is now Lamium g. It has gone back and forth at least tree times recently. What never changes is the aggressiveness of this plant. Rick is it coming from under a neighbours fence?

Rick (zone 6b, MA) thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I don't know why they can't just make up their minds! It will always be Lamiastrum to me, if just to differentiate it from the much more well behaved perennial lamiums. It was a major pest in my inherited garden - I spent my first couple of seasons there trying to eliminate it - and it still pops up from time to time. I notice the ones in the neighbor's gravel drive are starting to come into flower.

Rick (zone 6b, MA) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

There's always supposed to be an acceptably published, fact based argument for any botanical name. After which it is left to be seen what the scientific community thinks of it. Also new proposals are supposed to be checked against past history. With in addition all past scientific naming reported as a part of formal publication of a new one. However even today not everybody is generating new combinations that all - or maybe even most - of their supposed peer group will think kosher. And it's always a matter of individual interpretation and resulting opinion anyway, even though it is supposed to be serious work using scientific methods.

Rick (zone 6b, MA) thanked Embothrium
  • Rick (zone 6b, MA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, everyone - this told me exactly what I needed to know. I grow Lamium maculatum and this plant just didn't look or behave anything like that, so I didn't even place it as a Lamium in my mind. It looks and behaves much more like a woody vine, and has spread aggressively. My L. maculatum is much more gentle and just softer in texture, and would never behave like this. Much appreciated.

I see MBG has it as Lamium.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Extensive patches have resulted in my area where apparently what has happened is thoughtless people pulling it out and dumping it elsewhere. Instead of disposing of it in a considerate manner.

Unfortunately my new place has it growing in more than one location. I may start frequent mowing of it at some point to see if I can starve it out.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    3 years ago

Oh ok. I just yesterday found this same plant growing behind my fence. I thought it was quite a treasure and started thinking of places i can plant it in my yard as I have lots of shade that needs color. Is that not a good idea? sounds like it may be too aggressive to plant in a flower bed with hostas, heuchera, etc??

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    3 years ago

It’s a very large patch.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

No, don’t spread it around your yard. You might like to read this https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6092942/lamium-galeobdolon-plant-id#n=12

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

If you spread it around elsewhere, it will form equally very large patches!! And overwhelm other plantings, like your hostas and heucheras. It is a very aggressive spreader and a listed invasive species in some areas. You don't want it anywhere near your garden, let alone spread it around!!

Almost as difficult to control as Houttuynia, or chameleon plant.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    3 years ago

well good to know! You saved me from a terrible mistake and headache! It is so pretty, oh well. Do you think it is okay to leave in the area behind my fence. We have a creek there and it is growing along the bank. I would of course dig out any that would get close to the porch so it does not make its way into the yard. Or is that asking for disaster?

Are the purple/pink varieties of lamium that they sell at the nursery to be avoided as well?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

If the creek is a wild area you should try to remove it. It’s a non native invasive species. In fact it would be better to have it your yard and not by the creek than the other way around.

The other Lamiums are fine.

• DawnInCal
    3 years ago

Mamaham, I'm the one who posted the thread linked above by floral. Like you, I thought it was such a beautiful plant, but quickly learned how aggressive it is. Also, like you, my property backs up to a green belt. We bought the property a few months ago and I noticed the small patch of arch angel and thought how pretty it was. Fast forward five months, and it was starting to choke out everything in its path. That's when I noticed how badly behaved it was and started doing some research.

You do not want this plant growing in your yard. Whatever you have to do (pull it, spray it, burn it), just get rid of it somehow. The first time I sprayed it, it didn't even flinch. Almost three weeks later, I sprayed it again with a stronger dose and it's finally started to wilt, although when I went out there this morning, there were shoots standing tall and proud. I'm pretty sure I'll have to spray it as least once more and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes several more sprays to be rid of it.

At this point, I feel like I have a good chance of winning this battle, but I'm reminded of the old saying, "never turn your back on the waves." There is a part of me that thinks I'll never be completely rid of it, but now that I've beat it down, I may have a chance at keeping it under control. My main goal is to keep it from spreading into the green belt behind my house as it will choke out the native plants and has the potential to cause food shortages for the wild life as it competes with the native plants that are their food.

Ugh!

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7
    3 years ago

ok, I guess I will have to take all the advice and spray it and kill it. It will pain me to do so because it is so pretty. I will have to buy a purple lamium to fill the void.