Software
Houzz Logo Print
hb_808

Help with backsplash

5 years ago

Hi. The developer and I had some miscommunication and the backsplash was done incorrectly. Wondering if I should just leave it, or have them re-do it. I wanted quartz counter to wall, white subway tile to bottom of cabinets. They did quartz 6" backsplash with full just behind stove. My concerns with what they put in: 1) the contrast behind stove with white walls next to it looks kind of funny? 2) I'm a messy cook and afraid the unprotected walls will get dirty. Please let me know your thoughts. I have a few days before I need to let them know my decision. Thanks!





Comments (14)

  • 5 years ago

    I’d redo.

  • 5 years ago

    Love how the kitchen looks-great countertops. I would have them redo, and put a full tile backsplash. IMO, it’s a cleaner look and certainly more protective of your walls.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for your opinions so far! I forgot to mention, the apprehension I have with tile is having to seal and maintain the grout lines. Sounds like a PITA. ha

  • 5 years ago

    I like what you have, however I am not a fan of tile. You did not ask this but I would change out the stove to one without the raised back.

  • 5 years ago

    redo and add backsplash


  • 5 years ago

    I would leave it. IMO tile dates very quickly. This is classic and when you want to refresh you just paint.

  • 5 years ago

    Everything you decide upon needs to be in writing. Maybe he thought you were considering options but he was at the point where he needed to get that step finished and since there was no written instructions, he went the simple way. The backsplash could be continued with matching tile or you could put in a special washable wallpaper. Communication is the most important part of contracting, from both sides.

  • 5 years ago

    I think it looks fine, but it’s a different style than what you had envisioned. I don’t believe that cleaning sealed grout is a big issue, especially with newer products and narrow grout lines. If it’s not what you want, however, now is the time to remove the 6” backsplash and install tile.

  • 5 years ago

    I'd have them take off that riser and back panel and put in the tile you wanted.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks again for everyone's input so far.


    Just wanted to mention that I didn't really want subway tile backsplash, but when you deal with new construction, there are very few choices developer gives you =(


    With that being said... what about just keeping what's there and like felizlady said - add my own backsplash in a dark color that matches my counter?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    you already have a backsplash. (and a rather large one. normally it's 4") doing tile on top of that huge piece will look worse.

    and the piece behind the stove looks odd. Your stove already has the 'backsplash' with it's own back.

    If you want to tile, just pry off the 6" piece from the wall. it's not a big deal.


    then do a tile. If you don't want a white subway, by all means, pick something else.

    I like this Tilebar Portmore in the gray w/your countertop. has just enough variation to play w/the white, but not overdo the gray. (it's also under IvyHill on HomeDepot or Wayfair)





    Montauk Gin is another one



    Athens Gray marble tile might look nice w/your countertop color









    or a calacatta marble might look nice. again, remove the stove piece





  • 5 years ago

    Beth and all: if stove area is done, and the other area isn't large, why not washable paint in counter's color?

  • 5 years ago

    everdebz, I think that's perfectly fine. OP was asking about tiling on TOP of that 6" piece. (which I think will look horrible)

    I just gave her some ideas w/the countertop if she really wanted to go the tile route and was up for removing that 6" piece.

    otherwise, I agree. just leave the upper portion drywall

  • 5 years ago

    Two options:

    Leave it like it is OR

    Remove 6" backsplash and behind the range, and replace with tile.


    Do not add tile to the 6" backsplash.