Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbbrew

Drain pan under washer WITH a custom pedestal/drawer

cbbrew
3 years ago

I have read thru the debates about why everyone wants a pedestal, I do not have an answer other than "I just do...".... but we are building a custom cabinet for the front load W/D to sit on that encloses on each side making it look built in. Plumbers are currently here and telling me (in North Carolina) that a drain pan is REQUIRED by code so we have to have one. Now ---- what are my choices? Does the drain pan go on the floor underneath the drawer (we'd put a hole in the drawer, prob with a faux front, so that only the dryer side drawer is actually usable..) --- OR --- does the drain pain still atop the drawer, and we could somehow maneuver the tube/pipe for overflow? All pictures show beautiful laundry rooms and none have drain pans - we're told it is not optional AND the laundry is on 3rd floor (this is the 3rd laundry room in the house so it won't be used often). Trying to figure it out... Suggestions, please!

Comments (10)

• armjim
    3 years ago

Can your cabinetry be built in such a way that the pan is completely hidden behind the front? In other words, the cabinetry will be deep enough to both conceal and accommodate the drain pan but still give you the custom look you want.

• cbbrew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I mean, yeah .. it is being custom built so we should have that flexibility... but I guess the question remains would the pan go under the cabinetry or on top of the cabinet, directly under the washer? I'm not not sure how this should/would work exactly. Looks like I'll be giving up the drawer space under the wash either way.

• armjim
    3 years ago

The pan would be directly on the floor I would think. Were you planning on the washer and dryer being inside the cabinet sitting on a shelf of the cabinetry rather than directly on the floor?

• cbbrew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My currently solution would be: pan on the floor, the cabinet on the pan (with a drain pipe having to go thru it) and then the washer on the cabinet. I just wanted to find a BETTER way than this as my solution makes the drawer/cabinet unusable. Other ideas?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I would make sure the pan is at a higher elevation than wherever you plan to put the hose for drainage. Gravity will rule. Sounds like a stupid situation to me. But being on the 3rd floor, my gosh, a lot of expense for a washer dryer up there? I'm short, so no pedestal for me custom or not. Who will be using this? Short people or tall? If for guests, consider not doing the pedestal it will greatly uncomplicate this situation.

• cbbrew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, it’s almost strictly for guests - it’s the 3rd laundry room in the house so it won’t be used maybe 10 times per year (maybe)... I think the drain pan - while necessary - is unsightly so I was also using the pedestal to hide it. I plan on front load washer/dryer for this room so height isn’t much of an issue.

• cbbrew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm.. interesting, our plumbers told us we wouldn't pass inspection withOUT the drain pan. I even suggested purchasing one of those auto-alarms that tells us if there's moisture, so we could shut it off before ruining anything & still was told no. We were told insurance would be unlikely to pay for any damage caused by a washer without a pan. So that sucks! I'm trying to find the picture of the built-in that I'm giving my cabinet maker so everyone can see what I'm talking about!

• Cavimum
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You can always call the Codes department and ask about the drain pan.

If the washer should need to be repaired or serviced, or the incoming water turned off due to a hose leak, how easily will the proposed cabinetry configuration allow the washer and water faucets to be accessed?

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

My son has laundry on 2nd floor and a drain pan was planned to be put in even before it

was found out it was mandatory. It's white and is not ugly and you would hardly notice it's

was there.

It's a little larger than the size of the washing machine base so the machine can just sit in it.

There is a drain in the bottom, to drain away water should something happen.

If a leak occurs from anywhere in the machine, it will run into the pan, or if a hose blows on the back, it will drain down into pan.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm