aptz

Preen herbicide

aptz

I guess I'm like a some of us who wonder about things next year even as the year is just starting out. I was wondering about using Preen original (Garden weed preventer) not the Natural weed preventer. If I wanted to have a trellis for peas and for cantaloupe/watermelon (I know some would scoff at using a trellis for melons but I have limited space and the trellis is a cattle panel w support for melons) is it possible to set out melons after the peas finish on the same trellis while using Preen or just use two trellises in different locations? My question is basically about how you have to use Preen for different types of vegetables.

Guess I'm loosing two audiences those who want to go organic and those who don't like trellises for melons.

• Labradors

I don't have a problem with trellising melons, but I wouldn't use the Preen (with the weed preventer). What is wrong with using mulch? I use black plastic under my tomato plants and it does an excellent job.

Linda

• aptz

Thanks Linda for your comment. I tend to have an all or nothing mind. So to put down plastic for the whole garden (even though it's a rather small lot) got a lil labor intensive and after cutting lots of small holes (at least it felt like lots) for smaller vegetables made it even more so. Perhaps I should think about using Preen for smaller veggies and use mulch for bigger ones like tomatoes. Unless you grow a LOT of tomatoes (we don't) then cutting holes for some tomato plants wouldn't be too bad. In that case the idea of having separate trellises for peas and melons would make more sense.

• CA Kate z9

I, personally, wouldn't use Preen where you want to grow seeds or even young plants. Obviously the seeds won't germinate and, in my humble experience, have had young plants not do well in this environment.

Kate

• Labradors

aptz, I only use black plastic mulch for tomatoes. I have three rows of 6 plants. I agree that it's tedious cutting the holes. I have used the same plastic for several years, and it can be tedious planting inside the holes too, but it does save a lot of weeding, and keeps the moisture in.

For the rest of the garden, I plant in rows and use grass clippings, leaves, or pond weed for mulch or else I hoe between the rows. A hoe is a very useful tool to have!

Linda

It allows gernination......it just impedes root development so that any seeds that do germinate promptly die. And that same hindrance to root development would also impact young starts or seedling plants, such as one would normally plant out in the veggie garden. The label should give guidelines on the age or stage of development of the plants it can be applied to safely.