Software
Houzz Logo Print
sonik78

please help with kitchen hood and sink placement!

5 years ago

We are enlarging our kitchen and here are the plans for the kitchen. We plan for double ovens and a cook top. The hood for the cooktop is off center to the island and so is the sink which I think might look silly as I’m planning for a decorative metal hood with white cabinets.
Any other ideas to help?

Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    What exactly is your question? I can’t follow what your issue is from your post. There is no need for a sink and cooktop to be centered with the island. You should be more focused on the size of the cooktop and the size of the hood. What is the width of each? What will be the depth of the hood front-to-back?

    Edited to add: your fridge location looks like it will be a lot of walking from the fridge to the sink. What is the purpose of the wall to the left of the wall ovens? It just eats up a valuable couple inches. What is to the right of the cooktop? The base cabinet next to that should be drawers. How high is your ceiling, and how tall are your upper cabinets?

  • 5 years ago

    My question is should the hood be symmetrical / centered to the island? And what about the sink? The cooktop is 36” and the hood is 42” so it goes an extra 3” on either side. The microwave is in island but anything can be moved.
    This drawing was done by the cabinet designer. I was considering now if it wouldn’t look better to have the sink in the center of island and the cooktop where sink is in drawing? If so then I can possibly bring the wall ovens or fridge where the cooktop is now.

  • 5 years ago

    Meant to also say if it put the range where sink is then I can do two windows instead

  • 5 years ago

    “I was considering now if it wouldn’t look better to have the sink in the center of island and the cooktop where sink is in drawing?”

    I am still a bit confused by what you are asking about. Are you saying you want to move the sink from in front of the window to be installed in the island? And the cooktop installed in front of the window? If so, how will you exhaust the cooktop?

    As an aside, a sink installed in an island should not be centered in the island. You want as much of an uninterrupted expanse of island counter as you can get. A sink in an island should be closer to one of the ends, i.e. off center, while still allowing counter landing space on either side of the sink.

  • 5 years ago

    This isn’t ideal. Because normally you want the hood head on. When you enter the kitchen. But you also need it centered. So if there is no compromise but swapping sink and cooktop location I’d switch them.
    What does that door lead to? I think that’s the source of the issues.
    I wouldn’t put the only sink in the island.

  • 5 years ago

    “normally you want the hood head on. When you enter the kitchen.”

    There is no such rule. The hood does not need to be “head on when you enter the kitchen”. There’s a million beautiful kitchens where the hood is not “head on when you enter the kitchen”. I hope the OP realizes that is not a requirement. Look in any number of magazines for beautiful kitchens and you will see that the hoods are not ”head on when you enter the kitchen”. Also @HU-187528210 did not explain how she can advise the sink and cooktop can be swapped so that the cooktop is under the window, but not consider how the cooktop can have a hood exhaust in that location.

  • 5 years ago

    The location of your cooktop is not an issue at all. symmetry is overrated. The location of your fridge, however, is a big issue. your island is a barrier. you need to get your fridge on the sink wall or switch it with the ovens.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks so much for the thoughts. I’ve drawn over this and wonder if this is better.
    The door next to the oven is a small hall to the mudroom, laundry room and a first floor bedroom (guest) / office. The entry on the bottom of picture (below oven) is to the dining room, while the other entry on the bottom is to the house entry. To the right of the entire kitchen is open to a family room with a kitchen table in between.