hellkitchenguy

Roots on Stapelia

I ordered a bunch of Stapelia Giganteas from a trusted seller. She usually ships with soil around the roots. This time she sent them bare root, and the roots seem dry. Is this something I should be concerned about? I feel it will take the plant much longer to get established

Bob

Dnt wrry plant them. They r hardy, yes they wl take time to Establish but they wl survive and in 4 months they wl fill a pot

• robinswfl

Hi Manuel. I'm not really a Stapelia grower, but in the past I have grown several types of Huernia, some bought in BB stores and a couple bought from local vendors. I suspect they have the same growth patterns as yours.

Mine have tended to grow pretty well, although that may be typical of Florida and not attributable to me. To be honest, I would be concerned if I ordered, via mail, a plant that was sent to me with roots looking like that. I don't buy too much by mail-order -- but I have bought some Euphorbia and a couple of non-traditional Sansevieria, and a couple of Haws. All were bare-rooted, but -- the roots looked much whiter, significantly thicker and more "lively" than yours.

My suggestion would be to contact the seller and show her your photos. When I have received bare-rooted plants, they have not had soil around the roots -- but the roots seemed to have been "moistened" a little and were most often wrapped in plastic wrap or at least heavy Kraft paper. They went from that into either a C/S soil mix or a gritty mix with no problem. Maybe the seller can make things right for you. Good to see you back here, BTW.

hellkitchenguy Manuel thanked robinswfl
  • hellkitchenguy Manuel

RobinSWFL: Thanks for the welcome ! I'm mortified, because she has always sent me plants with perfect roots. This time I spent $240.00 (shipped) on Stapelia Giganteas, and stapelia leendertziae black bells. She sent me a whole bunch of them. The roots on all of them look like this. I moistened the roots a little with Clonex, hoping it helps. I feel that its going to take months for roots to grow and become established. A whole growing season gone to waste.

• hellkitchenguy Manuel

Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA, thanks, but I don't have the patience to grow anything from seeds. The ones I showed in the pictures are just some of the smaller ones I received. I also received some fully grown specimens. I went ahead and planted them in 50% soil from the famers market (no peat, and 50% pumice. Now to hope for the best

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

If I can give you some advice. I’ve found to have more success when rooting Stapelia type plants if I just lie them on top of the mix or placing the cuttings at a 40 degree angle. If that makes sense. More surface area for roots to pop out of then just planting them vertically.