Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxlizzie

Strawberries being eaten by voles

gawdinfever Z6
2 years ago

I planted strawberries a few years ago. Originally planted in box with wire mesh lid to keep birds out. Well, no bird issues, but pill bugs really did a number on them because of all the compost and mulch. Next year I moved to the ground in a flower bed and it was supposed to be temporary until I created a bed for them. That never happened and the berries went gang busters, and about 15 plants turned into like 60 or 70! Very rarely got a strawberry much bigger than lima bean.

In fall I added lots of chopped leaves topped with compost. Very early spring thinned them out so 8-12" apart. Some of the berries this year are huge! We were getting really excited! Removed runners and covered with bird netting after mulching. A few berries looked like they were ready, but still kinda hard. I said just a couple more days...

Got home from work the other day and was checking on them. Berries gone and some of the unripe ones were chewed as well. Guess what? Voles moved in! So bummed after all that work and anticipation! Last year we had big problems with voles for the first time in 11 years. Made traps and trapped them for months. Then my daughter brought her cats over. That helped too. Evidently not enough for the safety of my berries.

Guess I'll be forced to create a bed with wire mesh 1/4" on bottom and sides if we want berries. Probably be cheaper to buy strawberries!

Comments (4)