Software
Houzz Logo Print
nursechick24

Exterior ideas

5 years ago

What can I do to make this exterior more stylish it’s so plain...

Comments (13)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Plain...that's the style. I like it as is.

    But, if you want a change, with two distinct roofs, you could use two colors.



    In your case you would paint the clapboard over the front door black and leave the brick bottom white.

  • 5 years ago

    Your house desperately needs color: landscaping (annuals and perennials) with varied shapes, greenery colors and flowers. Your yard is large enough for a few special small-to-medium-sized trees. How about a new color on the upper level or lower level exterior? Do you know what color the brick is under the white paint? The style seems mid-century. Look at mid-century exteriors on HOUZZ and collect an album of perhaps twenty of your favorite photos.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO your home is overdue for a much better landscaping plan. All of the shrubs are located at the perimeter of the home and not in the front yard.

    Also are you prepared to address those two lonely windows on the second floor. They look quite odd. Is there any way to add more or larger windows to that blank wall?



  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I think the house is fabulous, the cottage style landscaping huddling near the house is not. Gutsier color choices, lusher landscaping, and generally a more mid century modern or modern take on your colors and accessories.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks so much everyone, I love all your ideas! I will work on it and repost an updated photo.

  • 5 years ago

    I like your house the way it is! I think a refresh on the landscaping would do wonders and could really complement the style of the house!

  • 5 years ago

    besides landscaping have you thought of a brighter door color? The one you have seems to get lost


    SW Real Red


  • 5 years ago

    I am with Beverley. The first thing to jump out at me is the two tiny windows on the left. More/bigger windows, paint and a change in the landscaping would be great

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Breaking up the boxiness and having multiple areas of interest would look great. Changing the porch to be more modern and larger windows on the second floor if possible. Inspirational pictures:

  • 5 years ago

    Low, colorful landscaping, strategic new trees to anchor it and a happy colored door are a good start. The landscaping is currently all one color and also has wispy-looking things that have no “heft”. Flowering bushes against the foundation and a much deeper plan will make a huge difference. I love the red door that Melissa suggested!

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    May be to go a bit modern to go with wood/cedar on top? new bigger windows?


  • 5 years ago

    I think the best plan of action is to get a really thoughtful landscape plan. Remove the bushes encroaching on the entry and what looks to be vines growing up the side of the house. See if you can move the Magnolia away from the house.

    Maybe replace the long walkway with large concrete blocks.

    western exposure · More Info


    Look at plans with sculptural plants for the window box.

    I agree the entry door could use a pop of color. Funny, but I imagine before the brick was painted the house was two colors.

    Good luck!