Software
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_croxton

Backsplash issues

5 years ago

Still undecided on a backsplash with busy granite and older cabinets. On another design site, they all say white subway tile, but i really dont want that and white anything makes the granite appear grayer than i want. i personally like the grayish hex #2 because it matches the color perfectly and has some interest, but is it too busy? Any other suggestions? Installing blue tile floor today




Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago

    Take the color of the hex and do a simpler subway in that.

  • 5 years ago

    Show us your new blue tile floor.....then we can make relevant backsplash suggestions.

  • 5 years ago

    I think thats her floor tile on counter

  • 5 years ago

    I agree about the flooring. Can you take more pictures once you've got your floor tile down? In the picture above, the piece of flooring reads black more than it does blue (monitors are all different - YMMV). The small grey hex seems to look good with the granite and the flooring but I think it is too small for your backsplash. If you could find it in a different shape/size it might be a contender. I don't mean to put you off the hex....I just feel small hex tiles are a bit more suited for bathrooms instead of kitchens.

    Colours that go nicely with honey oak are creams, warm greys and greens.

    I had a look around on Tilebar to see what they had in greens and blues that weren't too busy or too colourful, I think you want muted tones in whatever you choose.

    Here are some ideas, although I think some have too much colour.


    I like this one with a bit of distressing on the edges that seems to be taupe coloured. It might play well with tones in your granite.

    Tilebar Collections · More Info


    This one may be too dark and too green but you might need to try some bold options with samples. You never know.

    New Tile Products & Designs | TileBar.com · More Info


    Another option for shape, you can add interest with shape instead of colour, or you could do both.

    New Tile Products & Designs | TileBar.com · More Info


    I like the colour variation in this and there are many versions of this type of thing around - you might find one ( or find a place that lets you mix and match a few tones - I think Emser tiles lets you do that)

    Blue Tiles & Backsplash - Subway, Mosaic, Glass & More · More Info


    Another pretty shape and some colour variation.

    Blue Tiles & Backsplash - Subway, Mosaic, Glass & More · More Info


    This one is available in many colours and a couple of different whites too. With grout that matches this could be very nice without adding to the busy-ness of your granite.

    Nabi Collection | TileBar.com · More Info


    A warmish grey and I think it has a crackle finish.

    Nabi Collection | TileBar.com · More Info


    A nice creamy colour with the elongated hex shape - it could also go horizontally.

    White Tiles & Mosaics- White Subway Tile & More | TileBar.com · More Info


    Glass tiles - lots of colours available. Follow the instructions carefully for the proper adhesive and grouts to be used.

    Glass Mosaics & Tiles for Backsplash, Floor & Walls | TileBar.com · More Info


    Another glass in a blue/grey colour. Might work with your choices.

    Ceramic Subway Tiles & Small Format Tiles | TileBar.com · More Info



    Tilebar has 5 samples for $5 so it is worth having a look through and ordering some that catch your eye.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I like the grey hex. I think it pulls it all together. Great choice!

  • 5 years ago

    I was in the same spot with my kitchen. I have beautiful typhoon Bordeaux granite and could not figure out the backsplash. I love the different tile shapes but was as afraid it would be too busy. I gave a lot of thought as to what I wanted to see when I came in my kitchen - clean, light, peaceful, and the granite to be the star. I ended up going with an elongated subway tile with distressed edges similar to what a previous person posted and it is perfect. Not too busy or distracting. I also used grout the same color as the tile. The hex you picked out looks like it would be busy and really dark when combined with the flooring, etc.. Kitchen remodel is so tricky. So many beautiful choices. Good luck.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with the points made to wait until the flooring is in.
    And to do simple.
    With a busy/funkier floor choice I would match the color of the countertop. The lightest color.
    And do a simple tile. You can do picket, elongated subway tile...
    I wouldn’t do anything small. Too many grout lines...
    Good luck

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!