Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisolson

kitchen needs a face lift

elaine
2 years ago

Hi. I need new counter tops in my kitchen and I’d like to up date it some what without making it a major renovation I don’t want to change the cupboards or island but the counter top and back splash. For the back splash I’d prefer something I could just put over the tiles rather than remove them The floor will remain the same I just got new appliances except for the dishwasher. The sink could be up graded too The cook stove needs to stay too. Thank for any suggestions

Comments (18)

• calidesign
    2 years ago

You could use a soapstone countertop and very simple subway tile that matches your cabinets. Or get a countertop that can also be used for the backspalsh. You could consider a granite with greens, or choose a light counertop and use a light green tile for the backsplash, which would look nice with all the rustic browns in your space. It's not difficult to remove the backsplash tiles, and you'll want to do that so you don't lose so much countertop space and have a thick edge from your side view.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

This is a green color that would look great as tiles, with a light countertop.

Spruce Ave. · More Info

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

You have a curb on your counter AND a backsplash. If you re tile your backsplash, and replace the counter, do not place a curb behind your counter. Tile down to the countertop. Do not tile over your tile and the curb. It will be far too thick and won’t look right. Good luck with your project. Your floors are BEAUTIFUL!

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn’t know that about the curb and the tiles. We’re just do it your selves ppl and didn’t realize that. Thanks for the advice. Hubby did the floor with home sawn lumber

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I thought this might look nice with my cupboards. Thoughts

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A color that would match the cupboards

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe a farm house sink 🤷🏻‍♀️

• MissMarple
    2 years ago

Great kitchen space and the floors are amazing. The problem with tiling over tile is the depth for electrical outlets - becomes a challenge to bring all the outlets forward to sit right. I agree with most comments regarding light counter with light subway tiles. I like the picture you showed "Instead of Granite" - great feel and look.

We are in the middle of our kitchen refresh and keeping our black granite counter tops but doors and back splash will be soft white. Can't believe how clean and fresh it looks and we aren't even done. If we weren't trying to keep within a budget I would have done charcoal soapstone for the counters.

I wish I had read the comment about the curb and tile prior to our reno. We also have a granite curb going around with tile sitting on top. If I had to do it again I would definately remove that curb as it would be cleaner looking to me for the tile to go all the way down to the counter top.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Yes, that would look great. If you want to do some of it yourselves, you can demo the tile and countertops, but you'll need to have the new countertop professionally cut and installed. Then you could tile the back splash yourselves.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I think that the granite AND the tile will look beautiful with your cabinets. A lovely look! WOW. Your husband did the floors himself??? Just….beautiful! You asked about a farmhouse sink. That will mean doing something a bit tricky with the base cabinet for the sink. There are experts in sink installation here who can advise you on that if you post a close up photo of your current situation. But a white/ivory farmhouse sink would look nice. You are on the right track here! If I am not mistaken, you have a two level island, no? Some here might suggest cutting the higher level down so that you have one continuous countertop height. Great for preparation, serving, etc. Just a thought if that is something you would consider doing.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

OK: I was wrong! You have a counter height island, but a lower level (?) for seating. Ignore my comment, above. Do you think you want to keep the island as/is? Or do something different with it? It is an unusual shape. If you post a floor plan for the kitchen with measurements, people might be able to give you some advice about the island area. Is that a real wood fired cooking stove??? It is beautiful. You have a wonderful kitchen…. Interesting, unique, fun!

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ptreckel
    The island is kind of a pain. Lol. It’s in the way when I extend my table. I wish it was moveable and not so wide so I could pull it into the sink area when the table is extended. Or we thought about being able to fold the lower side down when needing extra room

Yea the cook stove is a real wood burning working stove. I’m in Canada so we use it to take the chill off sometimes It’s an antique for sure

Thank you for your advice and kind comments. Hubby and I built the log house together 36 years ago Just trying to keep it updated. It’s challenging with a log house as I don’t want country cowboy or hunting looks. Tired of those looks

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

The stove is a real beauty!! Does your wonderful floor extend beneath the island? Could you do a work table, instead? Or a moveable island (that locks) on wheels?

• elaine
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes. The wood floor is under the island

A work table sounds like a suggestion to be considered 👍

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I would suggest an antique work table on casters that can be moved around. It could also be put to use as additional guest seating at a big dinner party. And would look great with your log walls and your stove. Not “kitschy” rustic, but authentic.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Something like this?